Author Topic: Does anyone know about sound-deadening material?  (Read 4922 times)

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 18, 2008, 12:18:02 am
I find that when the fuel in my tank starts to get low, the tank seems to amplify engine-noises.  I get a very tinny noise which sounds like clattering valves, but the sound diminishes quite a lot if I grip the tank with my knees.  By gripping and releasing I can almost switch the sound on and off!  The tank isn't loose, and there's no problem noise when the tank is full, just that lovely thump-thump-thump.  I think the near-empty tank is just acting like a big, tin drum.

If I got some of that sound-deadening material that they use in the engine-compartments of cars - looks like half-inch thick felt - and if I glued a layer of this to the underside of the tank, would it make any difference?  What do you think?.

Tom
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:21:10 am by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 03:17:05 am
I would think that might do it. You don't want to get that stuff soaked in oil and caught on fire though, don't ask me how I know.

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 07:03:09 am
Check out www.earsc.com.  The outfit is E-A-R Specialty Composites.  I've used some of their products in the design of material handling equipment.  Read vibratory conveyors.  Besides being self-distruction devices they are capable of making a lot of noise when a "hard" product is being conveyed.  A layer of "acoustical foam" adheared to the outside of the conveying surface really works to dampen the steel surface.  [Properly, it damps; Dampen is what you are doing when you put water on something].   Will it have a salutary effect on the RE tank if's is applied to the bottom surfaces?  I have no idea what will happen.  However, E-A-R makes foam that can withstand considerable radiant heat.       
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:59:34 pm
There is an antislosh foam used in fuel cells that may work. My 99 Bullet has the same vibration, I have covered the frame under the tank with a piece of old innertube, it helped. I usually ignore it, but a good leg squeeze on the tank will quiet it down
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 02:17:52 pm
I took a strip of white packaging foam (the kind that seems to be halfway between styrofoam and cushion foam, sort of translucent) and glued it to the frame backbone for the tank to sit on.

This was to support the tank while waiting for a replacement tank after the weld on one of the rear tank brackets broke. The tank only had one rear bracket left and it started to make a lot of noise.

Matt

geoffbaker

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 04:26:01 pm
If this is noise being transferred from the engine to the frame and the frame to the tank, you might consider adding some rubber washers and or rubber type cement to the two bolts that hold the tank on. By reducing even slightly the vibration being transferred you may reduce the noise considerably.

You might try thinner, longer bolts in a rubber sleeve as well. You could make the sleeves yourself just using thin rubber.

I would think this might be more effective than spraying or adding anything beneath the tank - which would simply stop sound waves radiating from the engine below through the air to the tank, and not affect noise/vibration being transferred from metal to metal contact.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 05:11:47 pm
Tom

Is there any unwanted contact between your tank and the tower nuts that hold the rocker boxes in place?

My tank was being eaten into until I made some adjustments.

Have a look at my "Fuel Tank Clearance" post in Bullet Classic Models.

Chas

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:16:30 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Hack

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 08:11:21 pm
In the world of high end mobile electronics they have a variety of self adhesive sound deadeners, many of which are designed for high heat applications.  "Dynamat Xtreme" is one example. 
http://www.sounddeadener.com/Dynamat/Xtreme/index.htm
Applying it to the underside/nonviewable portion of the tank should help eliminate resonance.
Glen/Port Orchard, WA
'96 Bullet 500 Classic 4 spd KS Black

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 10:20:06 pm
One thing to look at is the engine steady strap ( the piece that goes from the rear of the head to the stud that mounts the rear of the tank. If they get loose it can sound like your engine is about to come apart,.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 02:20:16 am
Make sure the bolts are tight at the front and back of the tank.  But don't strip the threads...
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 09:59:21 am
Thanks all, for yourconsidered advice.

Tom

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 09:06:36 pm
Tom

Has your tank got the screw - on or sticky pad knee pads? I have the rubber screw on ones and don't get this problem you mention here. Maybe these damp the sound???

LSM
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 07:41:16 pm
LSM - sorry for the delay in replying to your post.  Ive been working in France/Belgium for the last 10 days so only just saw it.

My tank is the standard UK Classic one, painted finish and no knee-pads.

Tom

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 03:38:06 am
A few years ago I saw a sound deadening material used on automobile body panels. It was about 1/8" thick and was like a heavy, "leaden" vinyl. I don't recall if it was self adhesive or if it would be resistant to engine heat, but it came in panels the size of a placemat and it was black. I found it in a local auto supply shop.

But I think Kevin is onto something with the head steady. I'd look there first.

-Jesse
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 12:22:15 am
I have been meaning to do this for a while now. Whelp, I did it today.
Mine is an 500 Classic AVL. I went to Lowes and got the Acoustic Tile. I waited tile the gas ran low so I didn't have so much to drain. Then measured and cut the tile and "contact cemented" the panels in place after painting the exposed portions flat black.

It took me longer than it would have 30 years ago but who's counting ! So after completion I put a pint in me and the bike so we could now fill up and check tank capacity (3.8 gal) the noise comparison. This puppy is now quite. The valves aren't near as noisy as I first thought. And after fill up it sounded like an overhead cam jobby doo.

Over all I'm very pleased, but of course if I had it do over (and I will) there is an area I could have done better on had I not been in such a hurry for my pint and the gin an tonic.  8)