Author Topic: 2012 Truimph Scrambler Rig  (Read 12361 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
on: April 17, 2017, 12:22:19 am
I recently acquired a 2012 Triumph Scrambler with DMC M-72D sidecar.  I have been torn about where to post about it, being a "non-Royal Enfield" with a "non-Cozy" sidecar.  My apologies to our host, but this thing is pretty cool so I have to post about it somewhere...  ???

I knew I wanted a Cozy Rocket about a year ago (for wife hauling purposes) and thought that would be perfect with my C5.  I was going to buy new from cyclesidecars.com, but found a deal on a second hand, still in the crate Rocket, and couldn't resist. 

I decided to do some mods on my engine through gashousegorilla and scooterbob just to give me a little more power.  As my C5 (Hindu Hot Rod) came together, I realized that I really wanted to keep it a two wheeler for personal enjoyment, so I reluctantly decided to put the Rocket on a Triumph T-100 Bonneville which I had just purchased.  ::)

One day, along the way, I had my wife (who has a very bad case of rheumatoid arthritis) climb in to the Cozy Rocket and try it out.  This did not go well as her shoulders elbows and hands are all messed up and she could not get out.  Shortly after this, I just happened to be at Seattle Triumph / Royal Enfield
with my wife, and found this Scrambler Rig.  She climbed in all on her own and instantly fell in love!  It was tough trying to work a deal with the salesman as my wife is in the background bouncing up and down in the rig yelling "it's ours, we're buying it"!   :P

I was impressed with the quality, it has 7,000 miles on the bike, 3000 miles with sidecar, always serviced at the dealer, the DMC car is not as beautiful as the Cozy, but it is very spacious and comfortable for my wife who can climb in and out on her own, bike has heated grips, tiny windscreen, hand shields, auto chain oiler, Arrow 2 into 1 exhaust, single seat with rack, engine crash bars, new Metzler Tourance tires, and a custom sidecar triple tree which DMC makes with additional rake for stabilization and ease of steering.  :)

The sidecar itself is excellent quality as well, and comes with front bumper, led lights, gas can, and trunk rack.  Green is not my favorite color but this pearl green matte is very popular, and people seem to like it everywhere we go.  It does have chrome wheels, and I may add T-100 chrome engine covers and other chrome to brighten it up in the future. ;)

We took it out for a 100 mile round trip last weekend to a secluded lake (Roesiger) near the Cascade Mountain range where I live.  It passed the wife comfort test with flying colors, and I had a blast driving it!  We're looking forward to more adventures this spring and summer all over in this amazing part of the world. 8)

My one complaint is the high exhaust has already melted my rain pants,  :o and seems like it might just add a lot of heat to my right leg in the summer, (right now it doesn't feel too hot).  Also having a pipe right under my right leg doesn't seem good for counterbalancing the sidecar through right hand turns either.  I'm thinking of adding lower exhaust, but the Bonneville and Thruxton versions do not interchange. 

There is a 2 into 1 system that goes low, then angles up at the silencer which I may get when finances allow.  They are pretty tapped out now after this purchase, but it is so much fun for my wife, I couldn't say no. Oh, I almost left out, I thought for sure I would have to part with my T-100 to make this deal happen, but I managed to sell another old car and finance the rest, so I'm struggling to make payments, but I still have the metallic orange T-100 as well as the C5 Chrome / Maroon which with new, long awaited GHG/SB cams has reached the next step of it's evolution, and gone form the Hindu Hot Rod to... The Madrass Missile (aka Bholenath)!

Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 02:10:44 pm
Nice rig!
And, if the missus is happy... ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 04:15:44 pm
Very nice indeed.
my wife suffers similar problems and I ended up with this monster which we have covered about 15,000 miles in so far.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 05:47:29 pm
Thanks Johno,
Wow, That's beautiful... What is it? Pretty fancy, love the wood pieces, hub caps too! :o

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 07:49:17 pm
I don't want to hijack your thread, I would love to know how yours handles etc, but you did ask!
It is an original 1966 watsonian Palma sidecar (number 69 according to the plaque I found attached to the inside of the body). The surround window and roof were missing so I made the screen, the mahogany wood pieces were from an old boat that was being scrapped and the rack is from my GL1200 Interstate. The trunk lid is removable, there is a dickie seat underneath, the lid is from a watsonian Monaco. With the trunk removed the tonnau cover folds out to cover the rear as well as the front when needed. Yes indeed, classic 10" wheels with a stainless hubcap....
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 04:19:15 pm
No worries about "hijacking". I just wanted to show my new rig on the Forum.  It is an honer to share with such a cool old Watsonian! Good job with the resto work.  The windscreen came out very nice (as well as the rest of it).   :)

It's really great that you got that beauty back out on the road, and 15,000 miles? That's amazing!  I am just learning, and now have about 150 miles. looks like your 100 times ahead of me!  ::)

I drove mine in to work today, in rain and hail to go to the manufacturer after work and pick up a windscreen and door.  This is a big adventure for me!  Looking forward to many fun miles.  8)

Anyone else care to post a sidecar photo?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:39 pm
It was tough trying to work a deal with the salesman as my wife is in the background bouncing up and down in the rig yelling "it's ours, we're buying it"!   :P

;D

Hilarious!

johno

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 03:11:15 pm
I drove mine in to work today, in rain and hail to go to the manufacturer after work and pick up a windscreen and door.  This is a big adventure for me!  Looking forward to many fun miles.  8)
Thanks for the positive comments on my Rig, I love piloting the Beast (hack riders are known as pilots, as you can fly the sidecar!).
It takes some practise to learn cornering and what you can achieve with the sidecar attached, I can't recommend enough, finding a large empty space, practise stops  and turning while accelerating or slowing down with an empty rig and then with some weights in it. You do need to be able to fly the sidecar so you can understand the limits and not to panic when it happens in an emergency.
I learnt to pilot my rig by reading lots of useful (and some not so) information in books and on the internet. This is one of the sites I used although its for left side mounted rigs! (just reverse the information for yours)

Its the best fun on 3 wheels and on some days better than on 2!
weather makes no difference at all
2012 B5 Bullet

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 04:32:43 pm
Mission accomplished! I now have a new windscreen and soft door to keep wind out of car.  During this process I had the mechanics inspect the rig and as it turned out there was a sidecar swing arm bushing which was shot! I wondered why it had so much yaw when stopping and accelerating???  :o

Now it is tight and solid.  Much better!  I am glad that I took it back to the manufacturer who knows these rigs and has spare parts on the shelf.  Just one hour labor for all work done and $7.00 for the bushing!  Those guys done good.  ;)  I even heard they may be making some parts for Kevin to use with the Cozys?

Johno; was there a link to that left hand sidecar site?  I did take a mandatory sidecar class to get my license. it was two 10 hour days, 5 hours class and 5 hours on the sidecars each day.  I also have a couple of books on sidecars and spend much time reading these and other 2 wheel safety information. :P

Got a lot of great experience yesterday including getting visor washed out by big trucks in high wind while cornering at 60 mph!  Makes you get religious real quick!   :o Overall it was a great ride!  :)

johno

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 05:23:57 pm
Here is the link, a bit basic, but very relevant
http://simplysidecars.co.uk/ridingtips.html
I didn't realise you had to do mandatory training and a special license. In the UK Sidecars are treated as an accessory like a trailer and can be used with a standard motorcycle class license and a bike insurance policy as long as you inform the insurer.
2012 B5 Bullet

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 06:22:23 pm
Thanks Johno,
They say that once you pass the course, you are fully trained to go 20 mph in a parking lot! 8) It's a lot of basics that you do slowly and it's good, but at some point you just need to get out and experience driving the rig.  :D

I am constantly learning as I go.  Cornering is a big part of it, so I am especially attentive in turns.  Not too fast, cautiously experimenting with applying lessons... ???  I have a lot to learn, hopefully not the hard way! :o

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 01:04:53 pm
That really is a gorgeous rig, well done, excellent choice.
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 03:58:45 am
NARADA

Your rig is awesome.  I can understand why the wife likes it.  I have a G5 Deluxe with a Kozi Rocket that the wife used to enjoy.  Now also have a Honda VT 1100 with Dauntless sidecear.  They were the predecessor of DMC.  Wife wont ride the Rocket any more.  The Dauntless is "just more comfortable."   :-\

Mike in MS
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 02:37:02 pm
Thank you for your compliments Mr. Mike!  That means a lot to me coming from a grizzled sidecar veteran like yourself.  :)  Dauntless / DMC is local for me too, so it's nice to be able to stop by and say hello.  I had them inspect mine after purchase and we found a worn swing arm bushing. Had it replaced, added windshield and soft door too.  Was charged one hour labor plus parts. What a deal!  :o

From a previous post 5-6-17;

Bought a used stock Triumph Thruxton exhaust system for my Scrambler.  :o

As I understand it, the right silencer will need to be relieved a bit with my hydraulic press to fit under Scrambler rear master cylinder.

I believe the left silencer will fit fine, as well as the pipe which is said to be 2" longer than Bonnie pipe with a steeper angle to the bend up at end of pipe.  Silencers are shorter than Bonnie silencers.

This will replace the high exhaust I now have to reduce leg heat, prevent rain pants melting, and get pipe out from under my leg for improved counter balance during sidecar cornering. I'll know more when I get into the job and see for myself.  I almost got it for free so I can't lose. It's a bit of an experiment, but I think it will work and that I will like it. 8)

Any thoughts on how this might affect the map? I am removing (and saving for later) an Arrow 2 into 1 system which came with the Scrambler so I'm sure the map is presently set up for that. :P

Current post;

Good News, all concerns of internet nay-sayers have been dispelled!  At least the ones who think it’s hard to switch Thruxton exhaust onto a Scrambler. After removing Arrow 2-into-1 high exhaust pipe and silencer from bike, which came off easily (once I employed my ¼” drive, 12mm swivel socket and 6” extension for exhaust flange removal).  The Arrow is a nice quality piece, and from that perspective I had some reservations, but I just don’t want high exhaust, and I love the low dual pipes.

The only things I had to do to fit the Thruxton pipes is remove the two large allen head fasteners that hold the master cylinder mounting bracket to the frame and swing it out enough to provide clearance for the pipe to come in behind or inboard of it, along with the lower rear DMC sidecar mounting bracket, which also went right back on as soon as the pipe was in place.

On the left, it looked like my kickstand, which is unique to the scrambler, might get in the way and since it was no longer needed for sidecar tug duty I removed it. It will be kept with all other original parts of the scrambler which were passed on to me, for posterity.

I was astounded at how perfectly the right side pipe fit in behind the master cylinder. Triumph really engineered that one well, even though Scramblers always come with the high pipe.  Right along with that are the excellently engineered DMC sidecar mounting brackets which, just as Jay the owner of DMC assured me it would, fit perfectly beneath the pipe.  ;)

During my research I saw a set of stock Thruxton pipes for sale on eBay and according to that listing (contrary to internet rumors) the Bonneville, and Thruxton pipes are the same with identical part number. Obviously, the silencers are of a different design than the Bonnie, and have a steeper upward angle, but it does appear that everything interchanges.  :)

One complication for those with Fuel Injection who want to retain their o2 sensors… the Scrambler sensors are basically under your right knee (when riding) with the Bonnie - Thruxton bungs being down by your toes. This required me to cut and splice in new wire using crimp connectors and shrink tubing. Be sure to put tubing over harness before crimping, ask me how I know!  :o

I believe also, that the wiring harness under the gas tank (two rear seat bolts must be removed, two rear tank bolts removed, tank lifts up) is different, Scrambler has one harness connector coming right out of a large diameter wrapped main harness, and one comes out with about a 10 inch long sub-harness of 4 wires. This required me to make one 02 harness about 10 inches longer than the other.

I did have to purchase the mounting hardware from Triumph including special bolts and grommets as well as two silencer clamps which were made of stainless steel and galled the threads upon installation.  Long story short on that, I got two aftermarket ones ($8.00 for the pair) which were stainless clamps with plain steel bolts for tightening (anti-sieze was added to threads just to be sure).

Here's a link to my clamp adventure;

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,12246.810.html

I love the way my new Thruxton exhaust looks on my Scrambler Rig! Something about it reminds me of the Nortons my older brother had when I was young.  I think they really look cool and proper for a British bike.  8) 8) 8)

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, the used exhaust system was purchased from some nice people off craigslist for $100.00 Thank's Starla and Rob for the great deal! :)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 02:59:24 pm by Narada »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 10:53:25 pm
  Nice job Narada  !  Looking great.    8)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.