Author Topic: Fury parts???  (Read 2322 times)

royaloilfield

• Scooter
on: April 03, 2017, 03:14:32 am
Does anyone have any Fury 500 parts or information, they would like to part with????  Cam Shafts????  please email Brian @  Jlwbcg1@hotmail.com      just got a big head, cylinder and cases>>>>  thank you....

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 08:44:38 am
Maybe you can use a competition cam from HMC? They should have the info you are looking for. I do only have an articel from -I think- Classic Motorcycle.
Andreas

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 01:46:28 pm
It depends upon whether you want original Redditch factory parts, or others.

Also, there were 2 different Big Head variants, regarding port sizes.

So, I suppose it comes down to what you plan to do with it.

We have built 7 Big Heads for street use and 3 for track use. We have made the only roller rocker conversions that exist.

What information do you want to know?
I sent you a email response to your PM.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:00:42 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:27:54 pm
Also, there were 2 different Big Head variants, regarding port sizes.

The US market Fury cylinder head had a 1.5" Amal GP carb and 2.5" center stud holes, same as the DBD34 BSA Gold Star, while the vanilla big head Bullet (for the UK market) used 2" center studs and a 1 3/16" Amal Monobloc carb.

New GP carbs cost big bucks and aren't the best idea if you want to put something together to use on the street. If a big carb to match your Big Head is part of the plan, think Amal 38mm Mk2, Mikuni VM38 or Dell'Orto PHM38, possibly 36mm versions of the Amal and Mikuni or a Dell'Orto PHF36, which some reckon give sweeter all-round performance than their 38mm counterparts.

You might also find this link helpful, these guys have considerable experience of racing Enfields on the dirt:

http://enfieldracing.com/page/28582-Enfield

My NotaFury project uses one of the Hitchcock replica big heads with the smaller inlet opened out to Fury spec and the carb stud centers plugged and re-drilled/re-tapped to suit. Hitchcocks' produced replicas in both variants from the same batch of castings, I understand the Redditch factory had done the same.

A.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 03:19:21 am by Adrian II »
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

royaloilfield

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 01:49:05 pm
Thanks for all the great information.   I just measured and the intake is 1.5".  Last night, I was looking throught the hitchcock catalogue and saw that the GP was listed at 395.00 pounds. I almost fell off the chair!!!  It's early days with this bike so I am still trying to gather model information. I also found out that the crankcases are from a Fury dispatched from Redditch on the 23rd February 1963 to Cooper Motors of Los Angeles. 

Ace thanks for the Email! 

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 07:19:59 pm
Told you so!

Here's some video of a Fury which made its way back to the UK and is now fitted with a 38mm (1.5") Amal Mk2 carb set up by Bullet Whisperer who posts here regularly, and who also recorded the video. A Mk2 will tread much more lightly on your wallet if you go for it and build a Fury replica. You will need the money for a crankshaft with a steel con-rod and roller big end bearing, the original 500's alloy con-rod makes an awful mess of the crankcases when it snaps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Q11n9D4A8

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...