Author Topic: Fuel tank brazing for leaks  (Read 3858 times)

decker

• Bulleteer
on: March 05, 2017, 10:40:13 pm
Have found a pin hole leak on the weld of my tank (left side tab) not uncommon from reading past posts of similar. I'm thinking of finding a rad shop that also does gas tank repair(the brazing part). Anyone here try this and get satisfaction with the results. Any other solutions appreciated. ????
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Honda cx 500 custom - stolen
Honda 450 twin - traded up
Honda 650 nighthawk - blown up
Honda Goldwing 77- restored/ traded up
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy
2013 RE G5 Deluxe- last bike?

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:33:40 pm
Removed the tank, found the leak right at the tab weld. Now to figure out a reliable way to repair it and keep it from happening again. And to think I used to rant on other forums about quality of German or Japanese engineering and ease of maintenance.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:23:42 pm
Have found a pin hole leak on the weld of my tank (left side tab) not uncommon from reading past posts of similar. I'm thinking of finding a rad shop that also does gas tank repair(the brazing part). Anyone here try this and get satisfaction with the results. Any other solutions appreciated. ????

I've soldered and braved with success, just remember to purge the tank with argon before going near it with heat. Apparently auto exhaust gas does the same job but I haven't tried that method.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 06:13:08 pm
Not quite sure how a minor crack at this location is causing a leak. To me it looks like a simple weld to hold the tab and not in anyway connected to the inside of the tank. Apparently I'm wrong.
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 12:29:09 am
Not quite sure how a minor crack at this location is causing a leak. To me it looks like a simple weld to hold the tab and not in anyway connected to the inside of the tank. Apparently I'm wrong.

They will have to strip the paint off of that spot for a good weld or braze.   And when they apply that heat... it will get cherry red.  That heat WILL transfer to the inside of the tank, and it will certainly be hot enough to ignite any fuel vapors inside the tank.   I have had good success with brazing or silver soldering... pressure testing after words .  Then a re-lining of the tank.     I've done it myself and also had radiator shops do it for me.... Radiator shops are getting hard to find though.   Rinsing the tank out with Dawn dish detergent does the trick pretty well for clearing out any unwanted fuel left it the tank.   Squirt healthy dose in there with HOT water , shake it up, dump it out and repeat a few times.   Rinse it out with HOT water... hot water evaporates quicker.   Then leave it out in the sun to dry , or with an air hose and blow gun placed inside the filler cracked open a bit.. blowing a steady stream of air through the tank.     Then let the tank sit open for a few days, to be sure  ;)     
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 02:24:30 am
Thanks GHG, found a radiator shop willing to do the job. Pressure test first to confirm where the leak is. Already have the paint stripped. The shop is doing the cleaning of vapours themselves, then filling with argon gas and brazing . Will recoat inside with red toe.
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 09:27:32 pm
Okay, now I'm stumped. Rad shop did a pressure test and found no leaks. Yet I spent an afternoon wiping up something dripping from the area surrounding the tab. Clear coloured and smelling of gas. The tab itself on both sides, as well as the back side of the tank were wet from something. Further searching needed.
????
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 10:49:56 pm
It is possible your motorcycle has a leak in the fuel hose.

Even a very small leak that is impossible to see can produce a fine jet of fuel when it's under over 40 psi.

It could be peeing on your tank.   :o
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 11:22:31 pm
95% chance it is leaking from those tabs. The tank was changed but the mounting wasn't and was smaller. Very common. Good repair approach
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

decker

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 11:36:48 pm
Going to redkote the tank even though no leaks found. Replace the fuel line ( easy). May use a gasket on the fuel pump ???? Just in case it's leaking past the o-ring ( looks to be in good shape), and replace the fuel line clamps. Install rubber washers between the tabs( both sides) and the bolt hole
Really don't want a fuel leak. ????
Bmw F650gs - sold to buy

sven trials

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 03:01:48 am
My wife repaired many Harley and Indian tanks with her TIG machine.  A lot less heat and paint damage.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 04:12:12 pm
My wife repaired many Harley and Indian tanks with her TIG machine.  A lot less heat and paint damage.

If you want to protect an area when welding/brazing from heat damage, get some children's Play Doh and roll it into a sausage shape, soak it in cold water and place it, where it isn't obstructing the work to be carried out, around the area to be repaired. It works well as a "barrier" and stops the paint getting damaged over a larger area.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream