Author Topic: Clearing a blocked fuel tank drain..  (Read 2625 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: February 19, 2017, 04:07:38 pm
I've got a fuel tank with a crud- and rust-blocked drain.  The drain tube is about 1/8-inch (or perhaps a bit more) inner diameter, and snakes through the inside the tank from the recessed rim of the filler opening to an outlet beneath the tank - I assume it's for draining water that settles there.

I can move a small amount of air through it, but compressed air doesn't blow it clear.  I fed a strand of solid copper wire in each end, which loosened a lot of shit I can shake out, but I can't push it all the way through.

I'm trying to sort out a way of clearing it, and I thought that I might try a broken speedo cable chucked into a drill as a reamer, sort of like a plumbers drain snake.  Anybody have a worn or broken speedo cable hanging around they'd like to part with?

Or other suggestions?

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 06:13:11 pm
   Run down to your local hardware store and see if they have some small diameter steel cable. They should carry some 3/16" cable. Failing that try some picture hanging wire. Get a length long enough to pass completely through the tubing, then fray one end just enough to fill the inside diameter of the tube and use it as a "snake" to get in there and clean out the tubing. If the hanger wire is too fine, doubling it up before fraying might work, too.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 06:53:57 pm
Picture hanging wire, at least in my experience, is pretty soft and pliable.  I could barely get the solid copper wire (household electrical wire) in without kinking it up.  I think something that can handle spinning as it runs through will be the key.  Some stranded steel cable might just do the trick.

A speedo cable just seems tailor-made for this...  and I know that there are some members who've had failures.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 07:56:14 pm
Hardware store should have some scrap stranded steel cable around that might fit. Worth asking.  :)

BTW, the Hagons you sent me are working out nice on the Electra!  8)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 09:43:58 pm
Glad to hear it!!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 10:15:19 pm
If there is a music store handy, check them out to see if they have any guitar strings.

A few brands sell for as cheap as $6 a set.  Expensive strings are about $16.

If your real lucky, the store might even have an old set of strings they took off of someones guitar and they will give it to you for nothing.

Anyway, the biggest string (E) is still very flexable, it is wire wound so it is kinda abrasive and most importantly, it is hardened and tempered so it won't break.

Just cut off a length of it, chuck it in your electric drill and snake away with it. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 10:43:15 pm
Jim - now there's an interesting idea!

I could try the music store... or I could just visit my own stash of old guitar strings.  We've got tons of them around, plus old wound cello strings, too.  And I know a couple of electric bass players who might have some larger sizes available.

It never occurred to me!  What a dumbass...

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 01:38:12 am
On that subject, nothing better then an e string for cleaning pilot jets. Just the right size and rigid.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 07:58:47 pm
Jim - I've got a rehearsal tonight to which some other musicians will bring me full sets of dead acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and electric bass strings.  Between all those sizes and textures, and the metal ball ends on them which may be useful as well, I should have pretty good luck - I'll let you know how it turns out!