Author Topic: 4sp gearbox question  (Read 1851 times)

geoffbaker

on: September 16, 2008, 07:09:26 pm
Since doing the LH to RH changeover, my gearbox is still doing something a little odd.

I can start the bike and then pop the lever up into first and the wheel will spin. But it doesn't hold well much of the time, dropping back into neutral. Sometimes the neutral light will stay on whether the bike is in first or neutral, or flicker.

Other gears work just dandy.

Suggestions? I just put in a new clutch cable, so that should be OK.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:18:47 pm
I can start the bike and then pop the lever up into first and the wheel will spin. But it doesn't hold well much of the time, dropping back into neutral. Sometimes the neutral light will stay on whether the bike is in first or neutral, or flicker.

The GOSA (gear operator selector assembly) is what both positions the gears and holds it in place, so that's where I would look first.  It might be worn out or not adjusted properly.
I just put a RT shift kit on my 01 and the end of the GOSA was rounded off so bad I'm surprised it ever stayed in gear.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

geoffbaker

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 12:51:11 am
The GOSA (gear operator selector assembly) is what both positions the gears and holds it in place, so that's where I would look first.  It might be worn out or not adjusted properly.

i was leaning towards the selector assembly but wanted to get suggestions first. I went and adjusted it one way... no luck. Shifted the stop plate the other way - 97% now.

It's a tad hard to get it into first but she stays fine now and the neutral light works fine too. Tomorrow I'll adjust it back the other way a hundredth of a millimeter and see how that works.

From what I read in the manual it looked like I needed to slide the assembly clockwise to get it to downshift back to first better. In fact, it seems  sliding it anticlockwise - back against the right stop plate - is what worked best.

Tomorrow it will be time for another neighborhood test ride. They're getting used to me circling four blocks blowing biodiesel fumes at them...

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 04:37:44 am
Try adjusting the plunger assembly, that's what keeps it from slipping out of gear.

When you reassembled the transmission did you make sure that the tapered end of the plunger was parallel to the ground?

It might be worth your time to remove the plunger all together, confirm the position of the edge relative to the screw driver slot at the other end of the plunger so that when you reassemble it you can make sure the plunger is properly oriented to catch the stops on the shift actuator.

Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

geoffbaker

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 04:29:20 pm
The plunger is in good condition and properly oriented. I can hear a nice "click" when it is properly oriented and the plunger engages the slot on the bellhousing mechanism.

I'm continuing to play with two things... adjusting the shift actuator assembly (sliding it either clockwise or anticlockwise) and getting the right position for the gear lever itself so that it requires the least effort to shift. I'm about 97% of the way there now... everything works fine, except getting into first from neutral is a little harder than it used to be.