Author Topic: List of Dealers  (Read 11822 times)

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: February 13, 2019, 09:26:54 am
Gatto Cycle, Pittsburgh, Pa should be added.
2000 Bullet 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #46 on: February 13, 2019, 01:56:20 pm
Gatto Cycle, Pittsburgh, Pa should be added.

Thanks for the tip! I've added a pin for Gatto Cycle Shop in Tarentum, PA to that Royal Enfield Dealerships in USA and Canada  Google Map I've cobbled together.

A while back I also got my hands on an Excel file of dealerships that was independently created and shared by a user known as "FredRydr" over at the ADVRider Forums. I have yet to plod through the drudgery of comparing it with my own slapdash effort, and including any dealerships from it missing in my own effort, but you'll find I've squirreled away a copy of it online with the creator's permission at www.bukmop.com/RoyalEnfield/RoyalEnfield%20NorthAmerica2.xlsx. For those who use Garmin GPS devices, he also has a version in that company's special GPX format available here.

By the way, as described in this earlier posting, anyone can add or edit dealerships or even folks who can service Enfields (such as former dealerships) in that Google Maps thing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:08:45 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: February 13, 2019, 09:47:40 pm
Update: Since I had all the necessaries on hand and files open anyhow, and it was still a bit too nippy today for a nice ride, I went ahead and updated that Google Maps Royal Enfield Dealerships in the USA and Canada  map and directory with "FredRydr's" additional data described previously.

The boy did his homework. That's for sure. Got us dozens and dozens of possible future "ports in a storm" for real Iron Butt 3000  style touring, including one in Puerto Rico that you'll really have to over-inflate those Dunlops to get to. There are many past dealerships also now listed, and I've tried to specially note these as such along with an advisory to give 'em a call first. Still, they may be able to help out in a pinch, right?

By the way, if you want to just use the map and not edit it, like on your phone on the road, then bookmarking the simplified version with its much cleaner interface found at https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1OW9HZ8aTKCuvtyXnsaQdYFE0GnXPGvmG&usp=sharing might be just the ticket.

Royal Enfield of North America probably owes me a fresh beer koozy...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:41:37 am by Bilgemaster »

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: February 18, 2019, 07:48:38 am
For whatever reason, I get an error message that I cannot open map, I may not have permission. That may be on my end, may not. Just a heads up.
2000 Bullet 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: February 18, 2019, 08:33:19 am
For whatever reason, I get an error message that I cannot open map, I may not have permission. That may be on my end, may not. Just a heads up.

Hmmm...You tried both links? this one for full edit access and also this "cleaner" public version for best use on the road and so forth? Still no joy?

As far as I can tell, all the "share" and other settings at my end are tip-top. Anyone else having an issue getting either or both versions to work?

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #50 on: February 18, 2019, 09:40:47 am
Yep, tried both. I think it's on my end. This phone. Not sure how accurate Google maps is, but inputting 'Royal Enfield' in the search brings up dealer locations, also.
2000 Bullet 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: February 18, 2019, 11:03:16 am
Yep, tried both. I think it's on my end. This phone. Not sure how accurate Google maps is, but inputting 'Royal Enfield' in the search brings up dealer locations, also.

Yeah, but a Google search is hardly the same. For one thing, the map contain lots of past dealerships noted as such that may still be able to provide help or even just a clutch cable or some other needful doodad from their old stock in a pinch. I'm hoping someone else will pop along to test those links.

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: February 18, 2019, 11:37:29 am
Point taken.
2000 Bullet 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: February 18, 2019, 01:12:50 pm
Hey, speaking of clutch cables, the one bit so far that could have potentially left me stranded under different circumstances with my own "Iron Belly" was its shabby original clutch cable. If I'd been touring, it might have been a real hassle. The original cables were SO utterly craptastic and failure-prone that they felt obliged to provide spares with ever new bike. Accordingly, before you set off on that Iron Butt 3000  tour you're planning next year, you might do very well indeed to proactively replace whatever clutch cable may be on your "new-to-you" thumper with a superb Barnett brand one from our Forum hosts. 

My own clutch cable drama, with the whole step-by-step repair guide for 5-speeders like me, is found in this thread--Not that an old dealership guy like you would need his hand held through a clutch cable swap. At the very least, if they're not there already, you should definitely toss a few of these quick fixer-uppers into your tool pouch before setting off:

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #54 on: February 18, 2019, 05:08:06 pm
LOL Yeah, both cables will be replaced twice over. One one each lever in real time operation. One ziptied to each other, as a traveling spare. I moved late last year, and I 'lost' a bunch of spare nuts/bolts/parts. Replacement ferrules are very handy to have.

I'll be going through the entire bike. Too many variables can happen in almost 20 years...
2000 Bullet 500

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #55 on: February 19, 2019, 05:30:15 am
National Powersports in Pembrooke NH (seems they've opened a second location in Merrimack) used to be a dealer - not sure about whether they'd be suitable for inclusion in your "port-in-a-storm" list.  I don't know if you just add them based on the possibility, or check with them first...

http://www.nationalpowersports.net/contact.cshtml

ps: Great map - any way of using different color pins to differentiate "proper" dealers from the leftovers?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: February 19, 2019, 06:53:21 pm
National Powersports in Pembrooke NH (seems they've opened a second location in Merrimack) used to be a dealer - not sure about whether they'd be suitable for inclusion in your "port-in-a-storm" list.  I don't know if you just add them based on the possibility, or check with them first...

http://www.nationalpowersports.net/contact.cshtml

ps: Great map - any way of using different color pins to differentiate "proper" dealers from the leftovers?

I went ahead and gave National Powersports in Pembrooke, NH a call. Had a nice chat. Like you said, they're no longer a dealership, have only limited parts, but will still gladly service an Enfield if it shows up, and presumably will at least have some idea what they're looking at. So, I went ahead and added an entry for them to the map with the following prominent note:

"NOTE WELL: Former dealership with large mural of "The History of the Royal Enfield Motorcycle" in its showroom. However, as of 2019 no longer sells Royal Enfield motorcycles and has only limited parts in stock. Will still service them, however. Call first!"

Which brings us to your question about using different color "pins" to differentiate present vs. past dealerships. If I had done two distinct "layers" or maps for each type from the get go, this would have been possible. I can see no way to recolor individual entries at this point. It's now all or none, I'm afraid. I did just change all those plain blue pins into nifty little red motorcycle icons that should stand out nicely as one zooms in. So that's swell, I guess. Thing is, given the intended purpose of the map, as a mobile guide and directory for wayfarers to even semi-likely "ports in a storm", I'm not convinced the difference between past and present dealerships is meaningful enough, given the map's purpose, to redo the whole shebang to parse out the old from the new. Notes in the entries should hopefully suffice for now to make their status clear. Besides, it's only part of due diligence to call first, whatever the entry. Fact is, without risking getting my dumb ass sued, I can think of one current dealership I added, that shall remain here unnamed, which basically appears to chiefly be a snow blower and weed whacker shop, which might not be my  very first choice for service except in a real pinch, while on the other hand I wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond to bring my stricken Bullet to a "former" dealership known for excellent service here in my very own state for work if need be. Again: It's always a good idea to call first, maybe also check out a Yelp or Google review of the place if you can.

I've got that AAA Plus with the RV service add-on (needed for motorcycles), so my touring calculus includes a 100 mile free tow in the event of a mishap. Beyond that it's $4 a mile, or I can upgrade to "Premier" for about $40/year and get 200 miles of free towing. More than that, and I'd likely just rent a van. If my piston were to go sailing off into the buttonbushes just outside Booger Hole, West Virginia, the map would provide me with informed options. Hopefully, it'll do the same for others.

Speaking of the map, or rather maps, has anyone apart from Beardo had any problems accessing them? If so, please let me know:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:58:57 pm by Bilgemaster »

upintheair

• Neophyte
Reply #57 on: March 14, 2019, 07:01:45 pm
The simplified version works flawlessly on my tablet.  Thank you.
Historical: 1952 Cushman, 1958 Vespa 125, Honda 2x 1963 C110, 1968? CL77, 1975 TL125, Yamaha 1963 YDS2, 1975 XS650, 1968 Kawasaki 175, 1965 Hodaka Ace 100, 1960 BSA A65, 2006 Jonway 250, 1975 Bultaco 250 Alpina,
Current:  2015 Green RE B5 with K70's, DID 530 chain, Koso TNT,

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: March 14, 2019, 09:54:45 pm
The simplified version works flawlessly on my tablet.  Thank you.

You're very welcome! Yes, the "simplified version" has its own virtues, such as seamless integration with photos of the joint, direct linkage to its website, if any, and an easy link to Google Maps for directions. It's probably the better travel tool.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: March 31, 2019, 05:06:14 pm
Today I was told by a Himalayan owner that an existing multi-brand dealership in San Jose, CA, called Spirit Motors, has just added RE to their collection of franchises. He told me that they were located on Meridian Avenue, a block away from I-280.

https://spiritmotorcycles.com/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 09:20:43 am by Richard230 »
2011 Royal Enfield B5 500, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph Bonneville T-100, 2002 Yamaha FZ1