Menu

Members Rides

A collage of me lady....

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

62 Guests, 1 User
MotorDan
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2017, 03:21:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Future of Classic Motorworks?  (Read 1025 times)

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Future of Classic Motorworks?
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:34:28 am »
Kevin, I'm kind of wondering....are you planning on retiring soon?  I ordered the luggage rack system a month or so ago and am very happy with it and the service I received.  It seems to me that since then the offerings on the NField Gear webpage have all but disappeared with the exception of a few parts related to sidecars or clearance items.  Are you planning on closing the store? 

This sight has been invaluable to me and I'm just wondering about the changes. 

Miles

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
Re: Future of Classic Motorworks?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 09:17:57 am »
I will never retire. When you sit down is when you die! I am 65 and healthy so hopefully I have a few years left in me.

Since we lost the distributorship the relief has been palpable.  Our job was to do our best to make sure that our dealers and customers were served in a professional manner under very trying circumstances. It was just what we did and I had no idea how stressful it was being the buffer between Royal Enfield and the end users. Now that we don't have to be that buffer it has been wonderful. I am happy that the fine folks at RENA now have those challenges.

It has left me free to do what I have always enjoyed the most - helping dealers and customers with technical problems, give advice, find parts and accessories etc. I enjoy nothing more than talking with customers on the phone, at shows etc. Sidecars has also been good to me and no one ever calls to say their sidecar won't start.

We are moving in a different direction and all will be revealed this week.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
President
Classic Motorworks
www.classicmotorworks.com
www.cyclesidecars.com

mc35803

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 02:19:43 pm »
You and the fine folks at CMW have been wonderful.  Were it not for you and this forum, I would never have become a RE C5 owner.  I wish you all the best wherever and whatever road you take.    :)
Miles

mc35803

• Bulleteer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:28:27 am »
If RENA has true business sense they would buy the forum outright, not change a thing,  and pay Kevin a huge sum to be a consultant as the original true U.S. Royal Enfield Ambassador too.
Miles

oTTo

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 07:03:23 am »
If RENA has true business sense they would buy the forum outright, not change a thing,  and pay Kevin a huge sum to be a consultant as the original true U.S. Royal Enfield Ambassador too.

The information on this forum has a high degree of quality. I would fear RENA or any other bigger organisation could deminish it, IMHO it's better Kevin runs it the way he likes. RENA consulting Kevin for advice how to run RE bussiness sound like a good idea though... :)

heloego

• I Like!
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 07:32:37 am »
+1!

Thanks for all you've done, and continue to do for us!  8)
'12 C5 Classic, 7" Headlight, Hard bags and Top Case, Short Megaphone, Lycette-style saddle, ACE can.
'06 Electra X AVL, Mikuni VM32, Goldstar Exhaust, Hagons, Solo Low Saddle, sump guard, Hard Bags, Slipstreamer/Fly Screen, 7"Headlight w/Trillient, blacked out chrome.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:41:00 pm »
There's a whole load of reasons this is the only bike forum I use, all of them positive. I'll leave it at that, and hope things continue in the same good way. :)
Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Gray Roers

• Administrator
  • Neophyte
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 08:39:46 am »
Hi friends,

No need to fret about the forum. The forum will continue to remain in existence.

Gray Roers
CMW

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 01:13:13 pm »
Kevin:

I see CMW is joining with and moving to Fort Worth, Tx.

While that is a good thing as far as CMW being able to supply not only the older RE parts but new ones as well it brings up the question, are the employees in Minnisota moving to FW?

As we all know, there is a vast wealth of knowledge the CMW employees have, especially about the older Iron Barrels and AVL's.  A lot of that information about the older RE's is not in any of the RE manuals or parts books.  It was learned by trial and in some cases error and it, like this forum, is irreplaceable.

Although I don't own either of the older RE's, I would hate to see our members and other owners of the older RE's call the new Ft Worth parts phone number (888-415-8986) and get a deafening silence in response to their call.
(The same blank look some of the "new" RE dealers give people who ask questions about the older bikes.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 01:30:11 pm »
Kevin,
What does the move to Texas mean for the Minnesota crew?  It has been a few years since I've owned the '04 Sixtyfive but I've never seen better customer service and hope it will remain with your new location.
REgards,
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Administrator
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 02:21:47 pm »
You folk have fed both my family and the families of our team for 18 years. My wife and I feel strongly about the customers. One of the main reasons we are doing this is related to parts availability and service for you fine folks who have been our customers and who will purchase these bikes in the future. Both Michael and I are totally committed to not stranding you.

It has become excruciatingly difficult for us to get a good stock of OEM parts as a non dealer. We have had arrangements with a couple of dealer to get parts through them but the process is excruciating. It also becomes too slow for us to feel good about it. Over time as an independent we will also lose the educational opportunities to keep up with future products while Michael has access to that asset. I have many vendors for OEM parts in India but an "emergency order" can take a month and it take planning.  I also buy from Europe but the prices are so expensive that by the time you convert the currency and pay for shipping it is not a long term solution. At the end of the day as an independent company we don't think we can serve you properly

Royal Enfield of Ft. Worth has figured out the RENA system and can provide UCE parts better than we can because he is a dealer. I have worked with Michael Baker of Ft. Worth for many years and we have the same approach to customer service. That is why he has been successful and why we are aligning. However they aren't familiar with the nuances of the Iron Barrel and AVL's (which I would not expect of them) while we have a lot of expertise with them. parts for those bikes is becoming increasingly difficult so we also bring worldwide suppliers and manufacturers as well as systems to help make it all work. We both think that there is a large hole in the OEM parts and accessory market right now and we intend to fill it.

We are no longer taking orders and sending our customers to Ft. Worth. They may be overwhelmed for a couple of weeks but I will be there and working daily the first week in March if not sooner. I am bringing our computer systems and the data base of parts going back to the first Iron Barrel in the US. I will train them and work directly with customers. I will be full time there for a few months and then will become a consultant and be available 7 days a week. Depending on what turns life takes I may be back full time in the fall after I finish my second season as a bus driver and tour guide in Yellowstone National Park. The forum will be untouched, both Michael and I recognize it's value to the customers and frankly to us.

As for the wonderful people who have worked here... Tim moved with his wife to be near her family in California. (he just had a baby girl) and is working in the management of parts and inventory for a company in CA. The rest of the crew has either already found new jobs or they are retiring. Everyone is landing on their feet which was a big concern of my wife and I. The loyalty and commitment to customer service by them has been more than we could have ever wished for.
Peace out
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
President
Classic Motorworks
www.classicmotorworks.com
www.cyclesidecars.com

TomJohnston

• Scooter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 07:26:42 pm »
Sounds like a good reason to not buy another RE !

proxemics

• Scooter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 04:09:09 pm »
Does anyone know if the online store will return, or will they only do phone orders and/or Ebay?

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 03:41:24 pm »
I have an additional question, what is the email contact information for the Fort Worth site?  I have attempted to use the "Contact Us" link on the Fort Worth website but, to date there has been no reply.  I need information on front brake assembly 144705.

heloego

• I Like!
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 09:18:35 pm »
   Most web sites' "Contact" links provide a communal address for e-mail, often something like "info@company". I suspect as soon as one individual gets to yours and responds you'll have a more specific return address for contacts.
   CMW operated this way, and so does Hitchcock's.
   I've decided to wait until they really get up and running, then I'm gonna order another parcel rack in black for my tank, if available. Currently I'm swapping it between the Electra and the C5.  8)
'12 C5 Classic, 7" Headlight, Hard bags and Top Case, Short Megaphone, Lycette-style saddle, ACE can.
'06 Electra X AVL, Mikuni VM32, Goldstar Exhaust, Hagons, Solo Low Saddle, sump guard, Hard Bags, Slipstreamer/Fly Screen, 7"Headlight w/Trillient, blacked out chrome.