Author Topic: Basic essentials for a tyre change?  (Read 7478 times)

iRideRoyalnVA

• Sole Proprietor of Bremo Synthetic Solutions
  • Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
on: February 11, 2017, 02:32:18 pm
Wanted to ask some opinions on the basic essentials you would need to change a tyre?  I want to do it myself for the learning experience and to save money!  $50-70 per tyre is just becoming too expensive!
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Synthetic Solutions
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
www.lubedealer.com/bremosyntheticsolutions
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:51:57 pm
Well, something to break the bead
Something to pry the old tire off
Something to lubricate the bead to ease the process
A fresh tube+ (2, which would be a 1 mistake margin)
And something to not only help seat the bead,  but also get it back down to proper pressure.

Some ideas:  a big assed C clamp and a couple scraps of wood, big cheap screwdrivers dipped in plastidip, a bottle of dish soap, uhhh, tubes (tire...duh)and a high quality air compressor (harbor freight is a good on for that) or a quality VOLUME bicycle pump.

Or get spendy.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 07:59:17 pm
Please no screwdrivers.  Cycle Gear has a great selection of tire irons and also a neat little tool to pull the valve stem thru the rim.  Don't forget to check the rim strips for wear/holes from protruding spoke ends.  And talcum powder to dust the tube.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:24:41 pm
And something I forgot.    A set of rim protectors. 
Cheers,  hp

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

iRideRoyalnVA

• Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 03:17:39 am
I was thinking about get the tyre changer http://m.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html and motorcycle attachment http://m.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-tire-changer-attachment-60810.html deal from harbour freight! $90 is not bad I don't think, cheaper then taking the tyres to any shop around me and no traveling involved?
 Thanks John about suggesting extra tubes,  I'd be the one to need them! 
Jako I was looking at this too same as your link better price $$$ http://m.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-TIRE-WHEEL-CHANGER-CHANGING-BEAD-BREAKER-PORTABLE-Sportbike-Keychain-/232180640369?hash=item360f0b6a71%3Ag%3A8x0AAOSwUsJYWVMB&_trkparms=pageci%253A17778a54-f0d1-11e6-a0fc-74dbd180afc6%257Cparentrq%253A304ebe8715a0a7870224c4e5fff98ec2%257Ciid%253A1
I was watching vids on YouTube about the harbour freight set ou, seems worth it and then I guess a few irons? Far as tools go? Also was gonna go with beads in the tubes?  Anyone have experience with them?  Seems fool proof to me!? 
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 02:49:15 pm
That HB can work. You will love that long bar. I had one.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 09:27:17 pm
Good on you for doing it yourself, but what's with the $50-70? You buy a tyre then have to pay for fitting and balancing? Really? That would be the case here if you bought a tyre elsewhere, but if you get it from the tyre shop, its done free. I even get a discount on the price of the tyre if I bring loose wheels in.
Do it yourself: get a rubber mallet for whacking the tyre on.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 09:42:42 pm
iRide

If I had to pick one of the things you linked that I could do without it would be the bead breaker.

It could be real handy if you had tubeless tires but with tube tires the tire bead doesn't "lock" onto the rim like tubeless tires do.

IMO, to break the bead on your tube type tires loose from the rim, all you need is a large "C" clamp to squeeze the beads on the tires in towards each other.
(Depending on how long the tire has been on the rim, you might not even use the C clamp to break the bead loose.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 10:37:49 pm
Motion Pro sells a neat combination bead breaker and tire iron, consisting of two steel or aluminum tire irons with interlocking forks that are used to break a tire bead.  A very creative design.  I bought a set from Amazon for about $60, if I recall correctly. The lighter version, designed for on-bike travel, costs more and the steel version, which is more suitable for garage use costs about 25% less.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 11:04:20 pm
Generally no need for any tools to brake the bead on an Enfield, or most any steel tube type rim. If it wont break loose with your fingers just step on it. Don't really need rim protectors with steel chrome rims. You do need them if your doing a cast rim with tire irons. Tire irons (not screw drivers) wont hurt your steel rims if you use them correctly. A tip that makes all the difference is, put enough air in the new tube so it holds its shape put it in the tire then put it on the rim. In that order. I change about 500 tires a year, not by hand. I hope this helps.

iRideRoyalnVA

• Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 11:36:57 pm
Good on you for doing it yourself, but what's with the $50-70? You buy a tyre then have to pay for fitting and balancing? Really? That would be the case here if you bought a tyre elsewhere, but if you get it from the tyre shop, its done free. I even get a discount on the price of the tyre if I bring loose wheels in.
Do it yourself: get a rubber mallet for whacking the tyre on.
Everyone here is by the hour no matter what!
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

iRideRoyalnVA

• Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 11:40:17 pm
Motion Pro sells a neat combination bead breaker and tire iron, consisting of two steel or aluminum tire irons with interlocking forks that are used to break a tire bead.  A very creative design.  I bought a set from Amazon for about $60, if I recall correctly. The lighter version, designed for on-bike travel, costs more and the steel version, which is more suitable for garage use costs about 25% less.
Was thinking of getting those also to have old.tio s in case I need them!  Glad to know they work for you!
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

iRideRoyalnVA

• Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 11:44:09 pm
So yall think ya or na on the harbor freight tyre changer and then a couple irons and spoons and maybe rim protectors just as added precaution and extra tube(*FarmerJohn) just in case ?
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 12:21:57 am
The Harbor Freight rig has a 4 foot long tire lever. Everything else is little league.
ACE Motors - sales & administration