Author Topic: Air-box Overflow  (Read 4941 times)

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 08:15:08 pm
Just got my bike back from vince last week after some gearbox work (see earlier thread) and some upgrades (electronic ignition, turn signals). Went for a ride around seattle this evening after work. i really didnt know where i was going but at one point i decided to turn around. so i pulled across the lane and into a driveway. I though i was pulling out the driveway when i reentered traffic but it turns out that i was a few feet passed the driveway. i sped over the curb.  A pretty big bump but the bike seemed to handle it well. i was impressed. i continued on and got on the highway up to about 55 mph max. after i exited i found myself in a cloud of smoke. oh crap, what did i break this time?! i looked down and saw oil dripping from the air-box and sizzling on my nice polished exhaust. i pulled off and cleaned up the mess the best i could. the dripping seemed to stop. i drove the rest of the way home and when i shut it down i heard a pissing sound. sure enough a nice stream of hot oil from the air-box. so whats going on? i pulled the air-box off and dismantled it to clean it. the air-filter is soaked in oil and there seems to be a bit of residue in the carb.
My theory right now is that when i took the big bump off the curb while accelerating, some oil in the crankcase sloshed into the breather and coughed out into the air-box. perhaps the high speed caused enough pressure to make to oil blow worse. does this seem reasonable? Any ideas? i think i should probably drain the breather tube and catch can. Also i think im going to have to replace the air filter as it seems pretty saturated. I noticed that vince replaced the tube that connects the air-box to the catch can with a nice quality straight fitting that doesn't kink like the old one. 1300 mile 06 500 classic. ???

I and a few others on this board have had this exact same incident occur.

Remove the seat and unhook the hoses to the catch can.  Remove the catch can cover.  Remove the catch can hoses on the engine side and rod them out.  There will be white gunk in the hoses.  Rod out the duckbill in the catch can - gunk there also.

Rinse the air filter in solvent or install a new one.

Some people reinstall the hoses in reverse so there is no low spots between the can and the engine.

NEVER have the oil level more than halfway up the dipstick.  And make your commutes where the engine can get up to full operating temperatures.

I've never had it happen again.  The most important thing is not overfilling the oil tank - halfway up the hatch marks.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

LJRead

Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 09:25:23 pm
Tim Busby on the Yahoo forum has the simple suggestion of rerouting the hose from the crankcase to the catch can so that it goes over the crossbar and then has no low spots.

Apparently any low spots in the rise will allow condensate to build up and a stoppage to occur. 

I personally did away with my catch can and simply routed the hose out to the rear of the rear mudguard.  There was no drain on my catch can and I couldn't see how it could easily be emptied. The catch can had no lid either.   My blow by tube comes out through the intake valve cover instead of the top of the crankcase.  Apparently this occurred in the AVL only when it was first introduced (mine is a 2002 Machismo).  If you were to reroute your tube to the rear of the bike, you can use the duckbill valve from inside the catch can at the end of the tube to allow a bit of pressure to build up in the crank case.  The other alternative is to place the tube and duckbill over the chain which will lube the chain as well as dispose of any oily condensate, as was done on earlier Bullets.  If you keep things as they are, maybe rerouting the hose as Tim Busby suggests, then you will need to remember to empty the catch can occasionally.

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 01:08:36 am
my catch-can used to blow oil all over the bike. I eventually pulled it off and laid a bead of silicone on the top edge where the lid rests on it. I let the silicone harden first to keep the top removeable. Then I put a small piece of foam inside so the vapors could slow down and drop the oil into the can. Now it works well, no more oily mist on the back half of the bike.

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 03:19:59 am
As Foggy implied, your oil level may have been to high causing a lot of oil to come out of your engine breather. Always be sure it is at about the half way mark on the dipstick, and check it often.  I replaced my airbox and oil drain tube when my bike was new. I got a duck bill breather tube from Kevin, which was the best acessory I have ever purchased. Yes, it will keep your chain oiled and clean. Mine has 7000 miles on it and looks new. It has only had to be adjusted once since 1500 miles. Get the duck bill, it is cheap and you will never oil your chain again..........Dewey.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!