Author Topic: New Garage for my Continental GT  (Read 5356 times)

p144

• Bulleteer
on: April 21, 2016, 04:04:23 am
Looking for a new home for my 2014 GT to go to. Added the PC-V and a Lossa Engineering stainless steel reverse cone silencer for improved performance. Removed horns and turn signals (signals not required by law in South Carolina), but still have all parts in a box. Have the dual seat that goes along with the bike and rear pegs are currently installed. Changed the shift lever to one from a C5 directed back towards rear-sets to give it a GP style shift pattern (1 up, 4 down), but also still have the original shift linkage to return it to standard shift pattern.

Paid $6,000 new and want $4,500. I could say "$5,000 OBO", but I like to cut to the chase. I'm not willing to take more than a $1,500 hit. I'll keep it if I can't get $4,500...

Reason for looking for a new home for the GT is that I need to get my son the next level up race bike. I'll have more time for "my toys" when the kids are grown and gone, but I want to give them opportunity to chase their dreams as much as I can. If you have kids you know that they tend to grow out of things rapidly! It's just more extreme when you're dealing with race bikes....

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 07:08:43 am
We normally don't allow "for sale" bikes here, but are rethinking that now that someone else is the importer and I don't have to worry about dealers selling bikes. I will leave this one up and ask what the rest of you think?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 01:44:31 pm
We normally don't allow "for sale" bikes here, but are rethinking that now that someone else is the importer and I don't have to worry about dealers selling bikes. I will leave this one up and ask what the rest of you think?

My two cents would be to have a garage sale section.  My next RE will probably be an iron barrel, and this may be a great place to find one, and since the dealers aren't selling new iron barrels... The other thing that would make me think yes, would be that this forum seems to be for the consumers.  So that being said, having a garage sale section would allow would be new RE riders to find the used bike they may be budgeting for. This will also facilitate growth of the forum.  Like I said, just mu two cents worth.  But I respect your decision either way.

P144:  Good luck with the sale of your bike.  I understand the outgrowing of motorcycles on the track,too.  If only from the pit side of the wall.  Good luck to your son, too!  Keep the rubber side down????

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 05:27:48 pm
Since you asked... in my opinion, you should allow posts for bikes for sale - now that it won't be direct competition for you.  This forum is the best resource out there, and I think it would be nice to use it to facilitate the keeping of bikes "in the family".

Might be nice to also allow posts for the sale of parts and accessories that you don't sell, but keeping track of the content would probably be a moderation nightmare...

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 07:18:34 pm
I have witnessed the good and the bad regarding this subject.
The good, it promotes the brand and helps members change bikes etc.
The bad, unscrupulous dealers joining the forum as private individuals to profiteer from free advertising, and endless slanging match threads, because someone sold someone else a bike that's not "right", causing ill feeling.
As Mattsz said, there is the potential for a moderation nightmare.
Hitchcocks have a for sale section. I don't know how it works out because I'm not a member.
Link.
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/message-board/bikes-for-sale.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

p144

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 07:22:37 pm
Quote from: MeVoCGT

P144:  Good luck with the sale of your bike.  I understand the outgrowing of motorcycles on the track,too.  If only from the pit side of the wall.  Good luck to your son, too!  Keep the rubber side down????
Thanks! At 12 yrs old he's now big enough to straddle a Ninja 250, so that's the direction we're going. I'm over the two strokes! They're great when they're on, but are horrible if you don't get the jetting just right. Nothing like coming out of a corner to hit a flat spot in the power and watch everyone pull away...

Kevin I appreciate you letting this stay up, for now at least. I would express my view on listing bikes for sale on here, but... it's probably obvious how I feel about it!  ;D

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 11:27:54 pm
The bad, unscrupulous dealers joining the forum as private individuals to profiteer from free advertising, and endless slanging match threads, because someone sold someone else a bike that's not "right", causing ill feeling.

Malky makes some good points which I hadn't thought of...

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 04:41:38 am
I would suggest doing a 6 month trial period....if no issues then let folks keep selling used bikes.  It will get you some free marketing and web traffic for CMW.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 09:04:16 pm
Since you asked... in my opinion, you should allow posts for bikes for sale - now that it won't be direct competition for you.  This forum is the best resource out there, and I think it would be nice to use it to facilitate the keeping of bikes "in the family"

Might be nice to also allow posts for the sale of parts and accessories that you don't sell, but keeping track of the content would probably be a moderation nightmare...

Sounds about right.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

grumpyed

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 04:34:35 pm
A trial period couldn't hurt.I like the idea.