Author Topic: If I was to purchase a Royal Enfield  (Read 4426 times)

Kevin2998

• Scooter
on: January 22, 2017, 07:47:41 am
OK, so my nearest dealer is 3+ hours away, do I need to have all my service done by the dealer, or does servicing myself void the warranty? This is a major concern before driving down to pick up a bike!

If any know the answer to this please let me know?
2000 R1100RT
2000 Ducati 750SSie
2016 Classic Chrome

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 06:29:01 pm
If you live in the United States, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act allows you to do your own servicing without effecting the warranty.

The servicing must follow the manufactures guidelines which are listed in the Royal Enfield Owners Manual and a record of the mileage, date the servicing was done, replaced parts receipts for oil/filters/spark plugs etc.,  including the costs and amounts must be kept to prove these were done per the recommendations in the manual. 

If there is something that needs warranty coverage, the company can require this history and also inspect the vehicle to see if anything was damaged during the repair.

I don't know how RENA is handling warranty problems but from what I've seen here on the forum, when Kevin (the forum owner) was importing and selling RE's, he would assume the servicing was done unless the failure was a direct result of incompetence by the person who did the servicing.
(For instance, if the drain plug wasn't torqued and it fell out draining all of the oil out of the engine resulting in an engine seizure he probably wouldn't cover it.)

This Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act by the way applies to all motor vehicles including BMW's and Mercedes Benz.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Kevin2998

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 10:09:12 pm
OK, that sounds great, I had no idea about the act. Thank you very much for answering the question so fully. It looks like I am going to head to Brea in the next month or so to see what they have!!! I have been looking at these since the Nineties!

UH, does anyone have as hard a time seeing the verification letters as I do, it takes me a whole bunch of tries
2000 R1100RT
2000 Ducati 750SSie
2016 Classic Chrome

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:36:48 pm
The verification letters are a total pain in the ass but they are needed to keep out the robo-computers that can flood a forum with junk ads.

Keep on posting.  You only have a few more to do before the forums computer realizes you are a human.  Then you won't need to bother with this.  You can post things with just a click of the "Post" button.

As for buying a RE a long distance from home, you need to be aware of the need to break it in.
Among the things that this requires is riding slowly.  They recommend not exceeding 40 mph during the first 300 miles.
My dealer said I could push it up to 45 mph on short bursts but to try to keep it around 40 if I could.

That wasn't a big problem for me because I had side streets I could ride on.
For someone trying to ride a free-way at 70 mph for long distances it could damage the engine.
Even after the 300 mile stage when the VERY IMPORTANT first oil change needs to be done, the second stage of the break in at 300-600 miles in pretty much limits the max speed to 50 (or 55?) mph.

If it is possible, I would recommend having the bike shipped to your home.

By the way, these RE's top out at 80 mph, even after they are fully broken in.
Although they will cruise nicely at 60-65 mph this makes riding the super-slabs almost a life/death situation with all the knuckle-heads going 80-85.

If there is a less traveled road with a 60-65 mph speed limit, I always take it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 11:30:08 am
I agree with everything Arizoni said.  After following this forum for a long time lurking I drove 400 miles one way to buy my C5 back in 2015.  Hope your "local" dealer is a good one, but shipping and proper break-in is critical on these bikes.   Avoid any and all temptations to "see what it can do" speed wise until well broken in.   
Miles

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:19:44 pm
And probably as important as speed limiting, "heat cycling" is very important when new. Get it warm, let it cool. It's easier than it sounds. Varying your speeds and using the gears will put different loads on the engine and help make the metal happy.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Kevin2998

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 10:03:21 pm
I am planning on taking my trailer down when I purchase the bike, then bringing it home and riding around town for a bit. There are plenty of nice slow back roads in the Morro Bay / San Luis Obispo area that I live in. My ultimate goal is a trip around the west this summer as far as Austin completely on two lane blacktop, should be a lot more fun than doing it on the BMW, wheres the fun in that, its too easy! Thank You all for your help, I am looking forward to this new adventure

OK, Im on my fourteenth try,,, Im a getting a bit frustrated,, Ill keep trying >:(
Fifteen,, I guess cardinals arent red
still not Red,, We dont have them in California,, Are they a differant color?
OK, so now another set,, I am trying to get this to go through t thank you all
But I am sure I will not be ever trying to post again!
Now motorcycles dont have two wheels!
2000 R1100RT
2000 Ducati 750SSie
2016 Classic Chrome

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 07:15:17 pm
If you never try to post again, you will never find out that the forum computer finally recognized you as a human member and will instantly add your post to the forum without any futzing with semi-hidden, hard to read codes to put in.

Morro Bay, Pismo Beach and SLO are some of my favorite places to vacation and ride.
Little twisty roads and great things to see.

I suspect that after you've started riding your RE you'll be back, posting pictures and telling us how much fun your having. :)

In fact, I demand that you post a picture of your RE, parked on the roadside on Los Osos Valley Road pointed towards Moro Bay.  There is (or used to be) an old barn close to the road on the southern side that makes for great pictures.

We also need a picture of your RE parked in the parking lot at the Pismo pier.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Kevin2998

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 05:34:45 pm
I Apologize! I was just getting a bit frustrated, it wasnt the letters and numbers it was the question, Im pretty sure a motorcycle has two wheels and a cardinal is red, but it wasnt accepting those answers.

I used to really like the ride up to Gorda on highway one, but it is getting awfully crowded on 1 these days, (At the moment it is closed from landslides) but we have so many great roads there is always something new to explore.

If anyone out there is coming to the area and needs road advice around here just let me know, I will try to help as much as I can
2000 R1100RT
2000 Ducati 750SSie
2016 Classic Chrome

Kevin2998

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 03:32:30 pm
Well, after a few weeks and a few attempts at getting a dealer to contact me with no success, I have got to move on. Looks like I am going to be going the Moto Guzzi route.
2000 R1100RT
2000 Ducati 750SSie
2016 Classic Chrome

Kevin2998

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 07:32:18 pm
That is pretty much the deal. e-mails, dealer website inquires, non-returned phone calls. If this is how a prospective customer is treated, pretty sure it would be a lot worse once a I hand over the money. But like I said, plenty of other brands out there
2000 R1100RT
2000 Ducati 750SSie
2016 Classic Chrome

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 10:31:50 pm
Sorry to hear it Kevin.

You are right that there is no shortage of motorcycles. That includes used .

A clean rust free RE motorcycle can be found, and at a good price , ($1500-3500). Some elbow grease, basic hand tools and internet. ...you will be fine.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 01:04:37 pm
   Some dealer. That's a real shame he cares so little about any prospective buyer.  >:(
   Obviously never attended "Retail 101".
   I agree. PLENTY of used bikes out there just waiting for someone to give them a little love and attention.
   Even if you don't scrounge up a decent used RE, contact RENA directly and advise them of the shoddy attitude of the dealer.
   They can't fix a problem they don't know about.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.