Author Topic: Resr axel nuts  (Read 1214 times)

retro-rex

• Scooter
on: January 12, 2017, 10:53:15 pm
I have a broken spoke on my GT rear wheel. My tool kit was missing some wrenches when I got it (it actually looked used as it had grease some of the tools) Can anyone tell me the sizes of the 2 large nuts on the axel so I can buy 2 wrenches. Thanks in advance for any help.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 08:50:05 am
24mm and 30mm. A 12" shifting spanner is fine. You only have to undo the smaller nut to pull the axle out. The big one holds the sprocket carrier and can stay put. That way you don't upset chain tension or sprocket alignment. Don't forget to unclip the rear brake hose from its clip so you can withdraw the caliper. You can get that wheel out in a minute, no joke.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Otto_Ing

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 08:59:54 am
Getting the new spoke in can be difficult without bending it. If it does not go in without being permanently deformed I would shorten the thread a few mm, otherwise you may have to loosen all spokes.

retro-rex

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 10:58:56 pm
Thanks guys. I thought maybe it was 22mm & 24mm since that was what the tool kit was supposed to come with. As for the spoke, that is getting fixed under warrenty so I'll just have to hope the place I bought it from knows what they're doing. (I have my doubts about that!)