Author Topic: Kick Start Failure - Now loud clicking and engine wont start  (Read 1623 times)

kalahari

• Neophyte
Tried using the kick start for the first time doing everything by the book. With three unsuccessful turnovers decided to give it one last try. When I went down it made a large "clunk" noise and now when I try to turn it on electrically it doesn't turn over and now has a clunking like something is floating around in the engine. Any ideas? or best for a mechanic?

Edit: Update - Kick start seems to work and the clunking sound is now gone. But now the electric starter seems to just whine and not start. Any opinions what that may be.

Sorry I am posting for my husband and I am not a motorcycle buff and he is tinkering with the bike to get it to work. I am simply trying to help...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:34:30 am by kalahari »

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:20:15 am
It would seem that by kick starting the bike it backfired and destroyed the sprag clutch on the starter. This is common.

Take the starter off and check it. Dont try to start it as you will damage the starter as it will be jammed.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member