Author Topic: 2014 Find At Local HD Dealer  (Read 2864 times)

jumpymonkey

• Scooter
on: December 26, 2016, 01:15:20 am
Over the weekend I picked up a 2014 CGT at a local Harley dealer.  It had 1050 miles, looked pristine and ran smooth..  They were asking $4500 but eventually came down to $3500.  It felt like a good deal so I bought it as a companion for my 2016 Desert Storm.

The only thing I see that might need attention is the clutch adjustment.  Neutral seems harder to find while stopped when compared to my C5.  Also while on the center stand, the wheel moves while the clutch is engaged.  It is easily stopped by the brake and the bike doesn't move while I'm sitting on it with clutch engaged.

What do you think?  Normal clutch behavior for a CGT?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 03:21:57 pm
Has been sitting forever? Maybe a couple of plates are stuck together. There are two adjusters. One is on the case. The other is on the lever perch. Lube the the cable. Run the top, perch one, loose. Adjust the lower one. Check the play and tidy up with the upper adjuster. Change the oil. Drive it. Make a lot of mods.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 08:22:46 pm
There's no lever perch clutch cable adjuster on my 14CGT.  Is this something new?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 09:16:39 pm
Me neither. I was hallucinating.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 03:55:43 pm
    It is normal for the rear wheel to spin when you have a wet clutch. Even when disengaged the plates drive the oil between them, so some force is transmitted to the rear wheel. Stopping the wheel will NOT hurt the clutch. Normal- nothing of concern.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 08:55:12 pm
Agreed, though I do recommend before starting to swing the kicker out, pull in the clutch and swing the lever a couple times. You'll feel the clutch plates seperate.

You'll then get much less drag when started.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

jumpymonkey

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 09:11:43 pm
Thanks everyone.  As always, I appreciate your experienced guidance and advice.

The bike must have been sitting a while.  After a few rides, neutral was easy to find.  Also, even though it only had 1000 miles, it never had an oil change.  Lots of grey gasket material metal on the screen and magnet when I changed oil.

I still hear some clicking at certain RPM but I am planning to remove the RH cover and see if adjustments are possible.  Saw a video regarding kickback noise and how to correct.  Hope that is my issue.  It's not too noisy but I'd like to make it quiet like my C5.

Thanks.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 03:41:54 pm
     Before you remove anything you should lube and adjust the chain. Most clicky noises are from a mis-adjusted chain. The sound can travel to anywhere one the bike. This fools you into a false diagnosis. Do the chain first.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 03:54:31 pm
Mine had around 4K miles when I got it. I threw away the chain and the lead/acid battery. It wasn't worth keeping them at the risk of massive problems those two simple components can create.