Author Topic: High gas = Love my Electra  (Read 4792 times)

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
on: September 14, 2008, 05:34:53 pm
I didn't really think about how bad the gas situation would be getting when I bought the Electra in June, but this weekend gas is approaching $5.00/ gallon and you can't even buy it in my county because all the gas pumps are dry (or shut down so they can gouge even more on their remaining stock when they open back up in a few days).  I know some parts of the country have it even worse.  I'm riding the bike EVERYWHERE and leaving the Land Rover at home unless I have to haul a load or take the family somewhere.  It's great to have this Electra as an alternative because it's not only 80 mpg, but it's so much fun and cool-looking.   I've got friends who have big bikes that get 45 mpg who are now jealous of my RE.  Those are the same ones who were bragging to me about all their power a couple of months ago.  I love my Electra.
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 05:46:26 pm
Gas was 4.94 a gal, now has fallen to 4.49. home heating oil 4.81.  I,m collecting all the fire wood I can, and yes I am enjoying my LB engine.
 A few weeks ago I went on a 100 mile ride for fun, the cost....$5.00, cheaper then ordering a Big Mac meal.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 06:00:42 pm
80 mpg Bullets are all the more lovely here in the UK.

Gasoline price here is around 2 dollars per litre =  7.40 dollars per US gallon.  :'(

REPozer - you got a wood-fired Bullet there? What'll she do?
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 08:55:11 pm
Where are you located Fun2? I am in the Transylvania end of Henderson county. Just got back from an agressive ride up 276 to Mt. Pisgah. I bet I scrubbed a few thousand miles off the tires in the first 50 miles. ::)
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:47:10 pm
Where are you located Fun2? I am in the Transylvania end of Henderson county. Just got back from an agressive ride up 276 to Mt. Pisgah. I bet I scrubbed a few thousand miles off the tires in the first 50 miles. ::)

I live in Marion.  You live in a very pretty part of North Carolina.  I used to sell insurance in that area and was through there quite a bit until I joined a different company several years ago.  Sounds like a fun ride.  Don't worry about the tires... If you don't run them they'll just dry rot anyway.   
The Family Fleet:
2002 Buell Blast
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 10:08:53 pm
Quote from: Chasfield link=topic=2478.msg24691#msg24691 date=

REPozer - you got a wood-fired Bullet there? What'll she do?
[/quote
Sorry,Chasfield I need to improve my writing skills.
I have a diesel burning furnace that is used to heat my house. I also have a wood burning stove that supplements my heat ,and as fuel prices rise I can save hundreds by not buying heating oil.Thus as a hobby I look for any free wood that will burn.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 05:24:32 pm
Skills good. Sorry about the limey humor.

The stove sounds like a great idea if you have access to scrub land or old timber.

Here in the UK we pay through the nose for anything combustible. Probably have to wrap my legs with pipe lagging for the winter.

Chas
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

maxwell123455

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 09:48:44 am
Credit crunch and all that, its a bummer really.

Just wondering what RON your petrol is over there(last time i heard it was 95ron i think), here in the UK we get 98RON on normal petrol pumps and at the moment its around £1.10-£1.15 a litre, dont know how to convert it to american gallons!!

Just wondering wheather this has an effect on the way your motor makes power as ive looked at amercia specs of the RE and they claim generally around 2bhp less and most claim cruising speeds 5mph less than people over here in the UK.

Wood burning fires are the best, over here new houses have stopped putting them in but im sure alot of people are kicking themselves now as oil/petrol/heating oils are through the roof.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 03:38:06 pm
1 U.S. gallon=3.785 liter
3.785 multiplied by 1.15=4.35 British Pounds a gallon

Todays exchange rate would  make 4.35 pounds =$7.76 US

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 05:57:37 pm
That would also =$2.06 US for a liter of gasoline in the UK

geoffbaker

Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 01:09:01 am
1 U.S. gallon=3.785 liter
3.785 multiplied by 1.15=4.35 British Pounds a gallon

Todays exchange rate would  make 4.35 pounds =$7.76 US

What's scary is not that European gas prices are so high... it's that a $5/gallon, we are rapidly approaching those prices! It used to be that gas in the US averaged 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of Europe... now it's 2/3 and rising.

Down here in Tucson, everyone going to Mexico would always fill up this side of the border to save on buying expensive Mexican gasoline.

It's now cheaper on the Mexican side.

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 01:59:55 am
What's scary is not that European gas prices are so high... it's that a $5/gallon, we are rapidly approaching those prices! It used to be that gas in the US averaged 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of Europe... now it's 2/3 and rising.

Down here in Tucson, everyone going to Mexico would always fill up this side of the border to save on buying expensive Mexican gasoline.

It's now cheaper on the Mexican side.

It's scary, yes, but in the U.S., markets dictate change easier than the government can.  Right now our consumers are fed up with dependency on foreign oil.  It will be an interesting few years to come.  Don't ya think?
The Family Fleet:
2002 Buell Blast

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 05:10:58 pm
foreign or domestic, the speculators will still drive up the price
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

LJRead

Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 07:13:24 am
I once saw a documentary in New Zealand on the lengths they went to to keep their cars running during the Second World War.  One was a methane producer which used something that would degrade into methane gas - it was part of the car.  So the car would run along producing its methane and this could power the engine, which is suppose was modified.  It has been a long time since I saw that film, but New Zealanders proved quite adaptable when the fuel ran out.  I'm looking forward to seeing what inventors will now come up with.

My 350 cc lean burn was getting right at 80 mpg (U.S. sized gallon) but that was before I cleaned the carburetor and it stopped smoking at idle.  I'll fill up tomorrow and then see how it does. 

As to Bob's comment about speculators, it seems they are having their day with the upheavals going on in the U.S.  This sort of stupidity could be stopped if there was a will to do so.  The richies love scratching each others' backs.

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 11:45:09 am
Give me a plate of beans and cabbage and I'll produce enough methane gas to power a small city... If that power could only be harnessed, I would be rich.   ;D
The Family Fleet:
2002 Buell Blast