Author Topic: Extra Parts?  (Read 2889 times)

Mr. B

• Mr. B
  • Scooter
  • 2012 C5
on: December 13, 2016, 04:43:41 am
Since the first week after I purchased my 2012 C5, the bike has been plagued with electrical issues. In actuality, most all of the issues were due to vibration and the fact that every hot wire was wrapped around a sharp edge. As the miles added, so did the shorts. Two weeks ago, in a fit of frustration, I pulled the entire wire harness out of the bike. I'll admit, this was not a wise decision. I have spent each evening and the last two Sundays replacing the harness, one wire at a time. The bike runs better now than it has in years.

What worries me is the fact I have parts left over. The first picture is the pile of wire and tape that came out of the harness. The second and third pics are of the items I (A.) don't know what they do and (B.) where/what they attach to the harness.

Everything seems to be working. lights, signals, charging system, ignition, starter motor .I'm at a loss as to what these things are. Even the wiring diagram I have doesn't have these things on it. Thank you for your help.

Mr. B

• Mr. B
  • Scooter
  • 2012 C5
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:46:48 am
Picture #2

Mr. B

• Mr. B
  • Scooter
  • 2012 C5
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:49:11 am
Picture #3

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 11:33:55 am
We feel your pain, Mr. B!

You ended up with a spare relay, but no socket to fit it into?  That is odd!

The other item looks like the roll-over sensor to me? ...which was originally mounted under the seat.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 04:37:55 pm
Must not be needed, unless you roll over of course! ;D ;D ;D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 07:14:08 pm
Since the first week after I purchased my 2012 C5, the bike has been plagued with electrical issues. In actuality, most all of the issues were due to vibration and the fact that every hot wire was wrapped around a sharp edge. As the miles added, so did the shorts. Two weeks ago, in a fit of frustration, I pulled the entire wire harness out of the bike. I'll admit, this was not a wise decision. I have spent each evening and the last two Sundays replacing the harness, one wire at a time. The bike runs better now than it has in years.

What worries me is the fact I have parts left over. The first picture is the pile of wire and tape that came out of the harness. The second and third pics are of the items I (A.) don't know what they do and (B.) where/what they attach to the harness.

Everything seems to be working. lights, signals, charging system, ignition, starter motor .I'm at a loss as to what these things are. Even the wiring diagram I have doesn't have these things on it. Thank you for your help.

omigod :) :) :) :)  L my Fing A Off. I feel your pain.

I went through what you just did to yours years ago on my '08 AVL. Went through every single wire and connection and component on the bike (AND the yards and yards of frigging black sticky F-ing electrical tape and those tiny bullet ground connectors). Many many hours, but Sooooo satisfying in the end (as if there really IS ever an end to it?). Much tape, connectors, unneeded components, bad or hurried work went in the bin.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:22:16 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.