Author Topic: Bullet Running Rich  (Read 5551 times)

eggtooth

• Neophyte
on: August 15, 2007, 04:06:02 pm
Hello all! I have had my 99 Bullet 500 for about 3 months now and love it, but am having some persistent problems with it that someone here might be able to share some insight on.

Mainly, it is running so rich, it blackens and burns out a plug in about a month. It also backfires, sputters, and occasionally stalls on me. Is this the fault of the carb? I have played with the adjustment a little, but do I need to pull it and clean it? Or is something else the culprit? I have played with different grades of gas as well, thinking that might have some bearing - but no good.

Any advice available from those of you more knowledgeable would really be appreciated. I love riding this thing, but it is driving me crazy too. Thanks!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 04:25:03 pm
With a 1999 anything is possible since it has had years of use or abuse before you got it. (Nothing wrong with a 99, but you need to start at the beginning). Here are the things you need to do in any event.
Spitting
1. check the battery voltage - should be 13.2 at rest and should read 14-15 more or less when running at a good rpm. Also the ammeter should show a charge about 3/4 of the way up the scale, if it hovers in the middle it is not charging well. This is common on pre 1999 1/2 bikes. (3 wire alternator, red horn button). Also any battery older than 3 days is suspect. Even the best motorcycle batteries can go bad fast.

2. The rubber manifold hose between the carb and the head is a wear item.
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/carburetor-intake-hose-500cc-bikes-after-1996-p-60.html
They commonly crack under the clamps. It should be removed and inspected carefully. Keep an extra one around. when they crack you get spitting, sputtering, stalling, inconsistent idle. although it makes the engine run lean you need to check it anyway

3. See how much rust is in your tank. The 1999 tanks were not lined and can rust easily. At the minimum install a fuel filter in the fuel line. http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/fuel-filter-inline-p-341.html or http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/fuel-filter-fashioned-clear-glass-bowl-with-magnetic-picku-p-239.html

4. You may have to clean your carburetor out. If you do so you may want to consider checking the jetting. It comes with a 110 main jet, but a 115 or so will perform better. The rich running can be caused by a few things. One is a leaking needle and seat in the carburetor float bowl. This can be caused by wear (unlikely) or by a piece of junk getting lodged such as rust from the tank. Also you float setting may be wrong. If you remove the car and then the bowl hold the carb inverted. The distance between the gasket surface and the top of the float should be 25mm. The most common cause of rich running on that year bike related to the enricher circuit (choke). It is common for the rubber cap that the choke rod goes through to move up and down with the choke. It should stay put on the carb itself. If it moves up and down it is highly likely (almost certain) that the choke is not shutting off then it is in the off position. It will look like it is, but it isn't. you can hold it down with a drop of super glue and then lubricate the rod. this will work,

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

eggtooth

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:35:17 pm
Thanks for the great info...much more than I hoped for. I threw the battery on a charger and it really helped, but it sounds like your carb suggestions are the best route to explore, so I will tackle those and check the choke closely..

Thanks again! I truly appreciate it!
Chris

tonner19

• Neophyte
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:40:28 pm
I've had the same problem ever since I bought my Bullet Sixty Five(04).  Think I
have finally solved the problem.  Move your needle!  Lower for leaner mix.