Author Topic: Bullet Newby - I like it!  (Read 11492 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 05:48:37 pm
I'm on a kick-start only bike! Would it make a difference there?

Yes it does make a difference. The battery in the KS bike is pretty small and the oem charging system is mediocre. So being able to switch off the headlight until the bike is started will definitely make a difference. You can upgrade your charging system using an ES alternator and a better battery with a gel cell/AGM if you haven't already.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 12:31:34 am
You can upgrade your charging system using an ES alternator

Better still, a Lucas RM21 alternator or its Sparx eqivalent.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 01:53:26 am

A.

Yes Sparx is a great charging system I have one installed. You would have to rewire the lighting circuit for DC.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Desh

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 04:44:01 am
I understand from some of these  posts that electric start models don't have the dedicated lighting supply from the alternator like my 2000 kick-only model, hence the concern about losing some oomph to the headlight during starting. Here's an idea... if your starter circuit is all ok, with a good battery and no voltage drop at any of your connections and you really want back those 4-5 amps from the headlight, then why not install a relay across the headlight switch (in place of the link discussed above). Thus you can have headlight on always, except when the starter is operated. Relay must be nc (normally  closed contacts) and the coil wired to the starter motor circuit. This is theory only, so please check carefully that it won't mess up your bike's electrical system.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 02:25:29 pm
The E/S cast iron 500 Bullets might use a higher output version of the 4 wire alternator, but the AC feed to the headlamp is still separate.

The AVL Classic and Electra-X lean burn models (and the EFI models since then) however DO have a different type of alternator derived more from Japanese electrics, rather than being a derivative of the Lucas alternator. These are 3 phase, all the output is wired via the reg/rectifier, and so everything electric on these models runs on DC. Not on your bike, though!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 07:05:50 pm

A.
I've heard some of the Lucas alternators are being shipped without the bottle of genuine Lucas Electrical Smoke included.

I suspect these are old "New In Box" parts and some sly devil has taken the LES out of them.

Probably some practical joker who gets a kick out of pouring a bit of it on the back of fellow workers computer monitor.

The look of shear horror some people get when a huge cloud of electrical smoke suddenly covers their entire desk can be downright funny.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Desh

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 05:06:49 am
In the pursuit of 'authenticity' (mostly imagined), we spend a small fortune and hours of labour on polish, leather panniers, bakelite switches, solo seats, short exhausts etc. I hear that some owners will even change every bolt, nut and screw to BSW so there's always something loose to be tightened up. Lucas Electrical Smoke sounds great ... share a little dose with friends or release the whole lot in one enormous putrid cloud ... could it be cologne? ("Darling, you smell like burnt rubber and chicken curry")

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 07:44:41 am
Am I missing something here about the lights?

I'm trilled to have a light Off -On switch that functions correctly.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Desh

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 08:59:50 am
It started as a "headlights always on" discussion... improving rider safety by being more visible in daylight.

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 02:56:36 am
Boyer Brandson has a Power Box that limits the headlight until after starting, it also works with their dreaded MkIII ignition, and allows the bike to start either with a low battery or No Battery... their headlight off option is the 00107 Power Box, and actually the fellow from the tech department at B-B stated that I didn't need that, and the 00108 Power Box would function just fine with either No Battery or a discharged battery for starting purposes on my 1996 Iron Barrel. I have the B-B MKIII ignition and it does fail to start with a battery low on voltage. I carry a mini jumper box with its own cable clamps,and that has saved me from getting a jump from another car or bike... Now, I had called them to enquire about the MKIV ignition box, and the tech said that if I used the Power Box 00108 then I wouldn't have any more starting problems with my MKIII ignition.  I believe you can run without a battery, or, unplug the fuse if you want to continue using the battery (My choice) when using their Power Box, which replaces the regulator/rectifier on the Bullet Iron Barrel...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:05:26 am by Yamahawk »
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 12:10:23 pm
Their original Power Box is a regulator/rectifier unit with an added capacitor. The 00107 version looks like a work-around brought out to help with the Mk3 ignition kit's low-voltage problems.

If you have the lights permanently on with the AC lighting Bullets, the headlamp's needs won't affect the starting as it's totally isolated from the DC side, which powers everything else. The 00107 would only work on a bike with DC headlights.

A.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 04:15:02 pm
Their original Power Box is a regulator/rectifier unit with an added capacitor. The 00107 version looks like a work-around brought out to help with the Mk3 ignition kit's low-voltage problems.

If you have the lights permanently on with the AC lighting Bullets, the headlamp's needs won't affect the starting as it's totally isolated from the DC side, which powers everything else. The 00107 would only work on a bike with DC headlights.

A.

Can't remember for sure, but isn't the Bullet wired so the headlight is on before you start the bike. If so wouldn't it drain the battery. And if I remember correctly the stock charging system doesn't really charge at idle so battery health is key to making sure you can get your bike started every time.
Also not sure on Yamahawk's '96, but think it could be a DC charging system. Didn't they add the AC lighting circuit around '99?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 12:08:41 am
Sorry, yes, Desh's bike is a 2000 model so AC headlamp, Yamahawk's is a 1996 model so all DC. For the 1996 models the Lucas RM21 really is a worthwhile upgrade.

A.

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 12:29:39 pm
Sorry, yes, Desh's bike is a 2000 model so AC headlamp, Yamahawk's is a 1996 model so all DC. For the 1996 models the Lucas RM21 really is a worthwhile upgrade.

A.

I checked out the Lucas RM21 on eBay, and it is a 2 wire alternator/stator, and my original is 3 wire. I take it there are 2 wires tied together on the wire harness to one of the 2 wires on the RM21? It must be the correct diameter on the rotor also, as otherwise you would need to replace that, also with the RM21 stator? Anyway, 10 amps is a good amount of juice for the old Bullet, and does seem like a worthy upgrade. Between that and the PowerBox 00108, sounds like $260 or so plus shipping will take care of it. I will have to start saving up for that and a few other things to make the Bullet into a better platform.
Charlie
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

finbullet

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 05:53:51 pm
Yes the RM21 is a direct replacement and a really good upgrade. I have one installed in my bullet -98 with the 00108 power box. No charging worries as long as your battery is good.

With a bad battery it is still hard to start because of the back firing but starts with couple of kicks and runs just fine when you get it going. (tested this when my battery went bad in the winter).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:05:16 pm by finbullet »