Author Topic: Bullet Newby - I like it!  (Read 11699 times)

Desh

• Scooter
on: November 24, 2016, 04:45:01 am
Greetings Bulleteers. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. After 35 years without a bike, I bought a 2000 500 Bullet a year ago on Ebay. Didn’t know if it ran or not, as the seller hadn’t ridden it in the 3-4 years he’d had it. So I’m about 4th owner I think. Came with a swag of parts and factory engine tools. Previous owner(s) did a disc brake conversion and some mods to give it a bit more original look – Smiths replica speedo, new Amal carb, single seat. 

I have removed the enormous sausage silencer and replaced it with the short bottle. One of the first things I did was hard-wire the headlight ‘on’. This seems a no-brainer to me, that bikes and less-visible vehicles generally should be lights-on at all times. Here in South Australia, with our mostly clear weather, many don’t consider visibility as much of a problem but obviously, every bit helps, especially with texting and other driving distractions. I got a white helmet too. Anyway that’s all boring stuff.

Indicators –
Second job was get rid of the ‘80’s Japanese-style indicators, replacing with some little chrome units off Ebay. The indicator switch is not self-cancelling so I need to know when they’re left on. The earlier change of the speedo to a Smith's replica unit lost the indicator warning lamp. Better than just a lamp, a site in the UK showed me the idea of fitting a small weatherproof piezo buzzer which works very well, pic shows it siliconed in place just under the handlebar bracket. However, this was after I had already installed new dash warning lamps using a single LED for each side, not one for both, so I would know which way to push the indicator switch to off. This is useful for anyone developing or already suffering from CRAFT syndrome (Can’t Remember A F’n Thing)

Installing the LED’s – This is quite a neat and unobtrusive solution. Simply drill the alloy casquette to the size of a single LED, push it up from underneath with a drop of superglue and it's there to stay. Wire each LED with a suitable resistor to its indicator circuit. I used bright white LED's for indicators plus a blue one for high beam. In bright sunlight, they’re very obvious. Being standard LEDs with a domed top, most light is focussed straight ahead, this being well ahead of my view, making them not so visible when riding. To diffuse the light a little wider and softer, I just ran a file across the top to flatten the top 1mm or so and also matt the finish.

All this worked brilliantly until a couple of the LEDs blew on two separate days. I replaced the LED each time and had to drive them out with a punch, they were stuck so well with that drop of superglue. This chipped the paint a little bit, which had been perfect around the drilled holes.

So why had the LED’s blown? The clue to the cause was that I'd used the horn both days. As all who have fiddled with coils and relays know, a wire coil (the horn's electromagnet)  will produce a 'back EMF' when disconnected - a high voltage as the electromagnetic field decays, occurring many times a second as it rapidly switches on and off to vibrate the horn diaphragm. The solution to this is simple – fit a ‘quenching diode’, a plain 1 amp 400 volt diode, in reverse polarity, across the horn, so the back EMF produced by the horn is simply shorted out through the diode. This is soldered and spliced into the horn cable and completely hidden. 

Dodgy electrical connectors-
On the topic of electrics, I had quite a lot of connectors to repair. When I bought the bike, quite a few things just didn’t work well – feeble horn, dull lights etc, indicating bad connections. The first step was looking for loose connectors, by eye and with a voltmeter across the suspect run of wiring while the relevant device was in operation. Horn, for example had a lot of voltage drop traced to its spade connectors being loose (hardly surprising with the vibration of the horn and the poor quality connectors.

Push connectors in the wiring loom are there for two reasons: the convenience of replacing components, say if you break off an indicator, but mostly they are for quick assembly on the production line. For the owner, they can be trouble, especially with the heat, dirt, vibration and moisture of life on a bike.  The connectors on my bike were of such awful quality, while examining them I wondered if they had come from some child-labour sweatshop where old soda cans get cut and bent into spade connectors. Truly awful. Once installed, these get vibrated loose and any metal temper that may have been there is lost by the localised heat caused by poor electrical connection. The simple solution is to cut out the offending connectors, solder the wires together and neatly tape or sleeve with plastic spaghetti. Thus I have eliminated all suspect connections more easily than replacing the poor connectors and done so with the reliability of a continuous wire.

For somebody to buy a bike like this without knowledge of electrical circuits and soldering would be a frustrating experience. I wonder how many Bullets are languishing abandoned or disassembled by frustrated owners, driven to despair by the disgracefully poor quality of the electrical connectors. Such a simple item, but a potential nightmare. Cut ‘em out, solder and tape. If you need to replace a connected item later, just cut then do the same again.

So I’ve had this bike a year now, it runs well and has been totally reliable. Still runs points ignition even though I have a Boyer Mk3 electronic ignition in its box. I can’t see any point fitting it except for a possible improvement in the advance curve, but I’d welcome any advice on that topic.

She’s a cheap ride, easy, slow and safe as can be, oozes character and best of all, spares are cheap and readily available directly from India. I do building inspections for a job and can’t resist mentioning it to my Indian clients, all of whom wax lyrical about the Bullet. Having been lovingly appropriated by India, it’s still as British as the chip. Lost in time.   … or as the Snidal manual says, a ‘Living Dinosaur’.

Yamahawk

• Charlie the Chaplain
  • Bulleteer
  • Lotsa Bikes!
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:36:09 pm
I have a 1996 that was never titled, and I am the first title holder! I like my Bullet also. So, how are you getting along with yours? Looking forward to hearing about the last 6 months, and now it is spring, about your  riding adventures.
Charlie
Think about the circumstances of your call...Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks as weak to shame the strong. 1 Cor 1:26-27

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 02:49:55 am
Nice bike!

Welcome.
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 06:19:15 pm
   +1!  8)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 08:55:19 pm
It's always nice to find one that's well-sorted and just doing its job.

So I’ve had this bike a year now, it runs well and has been totally reliable. Still runs points ignition even though I have a Boyer Mk3 electronic ignition in its box. I can’t see any point fitting it except for a possible improvement in the advance curve, but I’d welcome any advice on that topic.

An important downside to the Mk3 Boyer ignition is that it is very susceptible to reduced battery voltage. If there's less than full output the black box can go full advance, causing backfiring. While your bike is kick-start and therefore has no electric starter sprag clutch to break, your starting leg and oil pump spindle still wouldn't like it. LEAVE IT IN THE BOX!

If you DO ever fit electronic ignition use a Pazon SureFire, or the Mk4 Boyer which work properly at lower voltages.  To be a total headcase, you can used a modified FM1R electronic magneto from BT-H (nice kit but expensive and needs a little work to fit the Bullet).

Very interesting to read about the wiring woes and the effects of the horn on LEDS. Another thing to watch for is the degradation of the insulation and wire breakages, particularly where the loom flexes around the head stock.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Desh

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 03:09:17 am
That's all good advice about the elec ign options - thanks. I have read some nasty stories about low batt voltage and the older Boyer.
The single set of points is doing a small fraction of the work that they would do in a 6 or 8-cyl car, so can remain good for a long time between checks. 

Thanks for warning about cables around the headstock. 

As for springtime rides, well they're long gone, being in the southern hemisphere, but clear autumn days are pretty good here. And the worst winter daytime max temp is about 8degC. The Adelaide hills are nearby and offer fantastic mid-speed riding for the Bullet. Not so for the faster bikes since it's mostly 80kmh through  the hills now and the cops have all kinds of speed detection devices to help them raise money fast for our cash-strapped state government. Don't mean to sound cynical here but I copped a $500 fine for riding the Bull at 77kmh on a 60kmh section of road, an old highway favoured by cars and bikes, but no longer.
Further to cool weather riding....with bike outdoors and prone to rusting, I bought a cover on ebay for a few bucks here-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182499679313?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Its mostly black and made from tent fabric, so with the bike parked to catch the morning sun, it gets really hot underneath,  pre-warming the whole engine, 'Hot to Trot'

goodatbeingyoung

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 02:54:03 am
I'd love to see your 'always on' headlight schematic. Got anything?
Full-time Musician; Part-time Wannabe Mechanic.
White Iron Barrel Bullet
White Range Rover Classic
White 356 Speedster Replica Project

Desh

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 04:54:53 am
To make headlights on always, I didn't use a schematic, because from all those available, I wasn't sure which was the right one, so I used this investigation procedure to find the right wires to connect together...
Open the headlight to access the cable running out to the handlebar headlight combination switch. This cable has a whole cluster of push-together terminals inside the headlight casquette and here is where the investigation happens, by testing with a lamp. Firstly, find the main power supply for the headlight. This supply comes from its own alternator coils independent of battery, so it is only live with engine running. I used a lamp with one side grounded to probe for this. Engine on, engine off. Once identified, the next wire to identify is the supply to the headlight. This wire will become live only when you turn the headlight on and stay live on hi and lo beam. Once identified, you should be able to connect the two together, but to be safe, I firstly connected a spare headlight lamp between the two and a feeble glow from the bike headlight (hi/lo) indicated everything was ok. I then removed the lamp and soldered a short link in its place. What we're doing here is simply shorting the part of the light switch that supplies the headlight. Now, the headlight comes on when engine is running.
I expected that the alternator load at startup may make kicking difficult, but there is no perceptible difference. Nearly forgot, an extra precaution during this procedure: I pulled the main fuse running from battery +ve and clipped a headlamp lamp across it, just in case I shorted something by accident.
Reading all this just now, it's a bit like advising how to do your own appendectomy, but it all worked out fine, no dramas, smoke or flame.  It's probably a whole lot safer and easier to at least have the right circuit diagram to begin with and/or visit an auto electrician.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 07:17:03 am
 Desh, your Bullet is a treat !

Belated welcome too.

goodatbeingyoung, later Iron barrels came wired for headlight always on. RE did this by installing a removable five or six inch wiring harness extension with a a couple of the circuits jumped.

A pic is worth a thousand words.

This

would go between these
No matter where you go, there, you are.

goodatbeingyoung

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 03:59:12 am
To make headlights on always, I didn't use a schematic...

Thanks for the write up! I might give it a go later this summer. Seems like it'd be nice to have the light on when you go to start the bike after dinner when it's dark out.
White Iron Barrel Bullet

goodatbeingyoung

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 04:00:11 am
goodatbeingyoung, later Iron barrels came wired for headlight always on. RE did this by installing a removable five or six inch wiring harness extension with a couple of the circuits jumped.

Well, that seems significantly easier. I wonder if it's got a part number.
White Iron Barrel Bullet

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 06:41:08 am
 I looked and could find nothing definitive. You do have options.
Call REFW, post in the wanted section or make one. The connectors with pins are available from Oregon Motorcycle Products.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

goodatbeingyoung

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 07:04:03 pm
I looked and could find nothing definitive. You do have options.
Call REFW, post in the wanted section or make one. The connectors with pins are available from Oregon Motorcycle Products.

I'd like to think it'd be pretty easy to put together as long as you've got the connectors. I'll see what I can find. Thanks.
White Iron Barrel Bullet

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 07:31:07 pm
Thanks for the write up! I might give it a go later this summer. Seems like it'd be nice to have the light on when you go to start the bike after dinner when it's dark out.
Actually, it's better to have the headlight off when you are starting the bike.

Sometimes, with the headlight on, the extra power that is being used by the headlight is enough to slow down the electric starter motor and reduce the power going to the spark plug.

With the headlight off, the starter and ignition have all of the power the battery can deliver to get things running.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

goodatbeingyoung

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 03:36:00 pm
Actually, it's better to have the headlight off when you are starting the bike.

I'm on a kick-start only bike! Would it make a difference there?
White Iron Barrel Bullet