Author Topic: Test Rides  (Read 18324 times)

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
on: August 15, 2007, 07:53:21 am
I want to ride an Electra & a custom, each long enough to "get the flavor" of owning one. No 2 laps around a block deal. I want to run them at least 40 miles each, Outskirts of town & country road stuff.Anyone in East Tx or West Arkansas, La. or Southern Oklahoma? I can pay for gas & chip in a few $$$ for letting me ride.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 03:09:11 am
Hey, I'll bring it back, honest. I promise to not run it wide open even.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 04:39:54 am
well, I've only bought one demo bike in my life and I was concerned.... just buy a new one, my RE had 18 miles and I think they put around 5 at the India factory checking it out.. and I have been working on it since i got it..  no prep except from the factory..  If U are going to buy a RE and you have your mind set on it.. you don't have t test ride it.. and if it has 2 many miles on it like over 35.. don't pay full price..U don't know who's bashed it..  break in is always critical.. In my hot rodding days I knew you could ruin a cam in less than 3 minutes if U didn't know what U were doing

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:38:47 pm
Aww, heck yea, I want one. I want one to have for trips to town. I really like the MPG of the RE, along with the full sized motorcycle design. I just cant do it right now & I am still trying to decide Classic Or Electra.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 10:25:12 pm
If you really cannot decide between the two, and can't afford the simple solution (buy one of each) Go for the classic Bullet.  Been on the go for years, works like a good watch, and is dead easy to mess around with. This I say from experience. I do not doubt that my oppo, with the electra would say similar things about his.  Get the old iron bullet, and ride it. It costs less, and looks better (or so some folk say)

If you really need a more reliable machine, get the Electra - riding either of them 40 miles is not going to tell you anything - riding them for 6 months would let you know more, but still until something broke, you would not really know. . . . .

The Bullet iron engine has gone on, and on and on and on, for years - is easy to work on, if something breaks, no matter what, you can mend it, the fuel system is simple, as is lube, and tranny,  I love it.  (But I am getting at least one Electra, when I get my two electric start bikes in January.)  Six months after that, I would be able to advise you better. :)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 10:25:53 am
Since I have 2 bikes & only 1 butt, I am not in a hurry. I guess I am really not that well suited to much travel on one, since I keep looking down & seeing 80 MPH & well beyond riding the Guzzi. If I had an RE, it would be for running into town on & thats the only time I ride that I can do it & be able to not run hard. Down the road, my natural speed is more than the RE will stand. So, I am in no hurry.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 03:40:20 am
If you like to cruise faster, get the Electra and put a 19-tooth sprocket on it. But be aware, the old iron bikes are not going to be around much longer, so they are going to be highly prised by those that have em. If I could afford it, I'd buy a stable of them and wait for the value to go up.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 05:35:02 am
I have my nice kickstart only Bullet, that will appreciate nicely, as it wanders into obsolescence..  I look forward to getting one with an electric start - kickstart is great - except on the left hand turn, when it stalls, and won't start again.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 04:18:07 pm
Justin, get your ragged self healed up by the end of May or first of June and come to the Blue Ridge for our RE ride. Ride your Guzzi and I will trade off and let you ride my RE for a while to see if you like it......just stay away from trucks!!!!!! Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 01:08:15 am
Guzzi totalled, over the limit. WAAAH! :'( Yea, that & the frame is bent.

prof_stack

Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 03:40:11 am
Interesting stuff this totaling of vehicles.  My Buell sustained major damage when I t-boned the Civic on 6/30.  New frame, new swingarm, new front wheel, and assorted left side parts.  $4600 or so.  NADA is ~$4750, Kelly BB $5300.  Heck, I'd be happy to get $5k for it.

BUT IT IS GETTING REPAIRED!  What is the criteria for totaling a motorcycle? 

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 04:41:52 am
Criteria for totaling anything is always the cheapest option. If it is cheaper to total something, than repair it, the insurance will total it.  Often the insurance company can get rates for repair, much less than the public can, so they will repair something you would imagine should be totaled. Also, sometimes they will dispute a value, and total it below your idea of worth.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 08:37:52 pm
Interesting stuff this totaling of vehicles.  My Buell sustained major damage when I t-boned the Civic on 6/30.  New frame, new swingarm, new front wheel, and assorted left side parts.  $4600 or so.  NADA is ~$4750, Kelly BB $5300.  Heck, I'd be happy to get $5k for it.

Wow, that is pretty impressive. You repair shop is going to have fun with that one.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

prof_stack

Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 04:53:16 am

Wow, that is pretty impressive. Your repair shop is going to have fun with that one.

Hey, don't get me started!  They forgot to order a key part and now that part is backordered.  Then the mechanic doing the rebuild went on a TWO-WEEK vacation.  How long will the weather hold up here in the NW?   >:(

I'm probably done with Buell/HD.  We'll see.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 04:01:23 am
Every insurance adjuster I ever talked to explained a total as being 80% or so of total value. My bike totalled at $5,000.00. It was a $6,000.00 bike. I managed a body shop for a short while & that was the deal on cars if I remember correctly.