Author Topic: Ethanol (Grrr*@#) Questions  (Read 4829 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: October 14, 2016, 01:29:09 pm
         (1) If I buy gasoline by the 2 or three gallon container (which I have been doing for many years) to top up in my garage rather than go to gas stations, am I possibly getting more ethanol (by % of volume) than if I was putting 20 gallons in a car?

(B) Opinions on the best "Ethanol Fighters". I've used MMO for years, but is it really an ethanol fighter?

(3) Can I hate the Federal government and Progressives any more than I already do? I don't think so!!

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 02:03:07 pm
I too fill up a 5 gallon gas can and use that to fill the tanks on my bikes rather then getting it straight from the Pump. it is getting harder and harder to find gas stations that have individual nozzles for each grade of gas and I may be being paranoid about the amount of 87 octane that sits in the hose and nozzle waiting for me, but I'd rather fill my wifes Mini Cooper with 92 and the small amount of 87 then fill the gas can with 92 after knowing that it is all 92 octane going into my bike.
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 02:59:08 pm
I wouldn't worry about how much ethanol is in the fuel from a small container. The main problem is phase separation in the fuel from sitting. I deal with this shit everyday working on marine engines that are rarely used.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 04:25:04 pm
I too fill up a 5 gallon gas can and use that to fill the tanks on my bikes rather then getting it straight from the Pump. it is getting harder and harder to find gas stations that have individual nozzles for each grade of gas and I may be being paranoid about the amount of 87 octane that sits in the hose and nozzle waiting for me, but I'd rather fill my wifes Mini Cooper with 92 and the small amount of 87 then fill the gas can with 92 after knowing that it is all 92 octane going into my bike.

The subject is not octane. I'm not concerned with octane. The question was whether or not you get more ethanol by % if you only get 2 or 3 gallons compared to what you get (by %) if you fill a 20 gallon auto or truck tank.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:28:28 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 04:30:34 pm
I wouldn't worry about how much ethanol is in the fuel from a small container. The main problem is phase separation in the fuel from sitting. I deal with this shit everyday working on marine engines that are rarely used.  ERC

Well, fine, but what's your answer to my question (B)?  ???

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 11:36:32 pm
Seems to me, the percentage amount of ethanol that's mixed in with the gasoline at the time you buy it is what you get, whether this is buying 1 gallon or 20 gallons.

The advantage of having the fuel in your 2 gallon container is, if it sits for a long time and the gasoline and alcohol begin to separate you can mix it back up by shaking the can before you pour it into your motorcycle.

If the mixture is 10 percent ethanol you get 1/10 of a gallon in your one gallon can and 2 gallons in your 20 gallon fuel tank.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 03:55:58 am
Seems to me, the percentage amount of ethanol that's mixed in with the gasoline at the time you buy it is what you get, whether this is buying 1 gallon or 20 gallons.

The advantage of having the fuel in your 2 gallon container is, if it sits for a long time and the gasoline and alcohol begin to separate you can mix it back up by shaking the can before you pour it into your motorcycle.

If the mixture is 10 percent ethanol you get 1/10 of a gallon in your one gallon can and 2 gallons in your 20 gallon fuel tank.

Yes. Using logic that's what we would think, isn't it? What if the guy ahead of you pumped E15 or E85 and the hose was full when you filled your 2 gallon can with E10?

Maybe it doesn't matter.

Maybe it does.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 05:01:38 am
If the guy ahead of you pumped E85, there might be a pint of it left in the hose when you start pumping the E10 but just to think about a worst case situation lets say there was 1 quart left in the pump and hose.

If you were filling a 2 gallon can that would make 7 quarts of E10 + 1 quart of E85 ending up in the can.

I might be doing this wrong but if I take the 7 times 10% = 0.7
 plus 1 times 85% = 1.55 divided by 8 quarts =  0.194 or 19.4% alcohol.

If my guess about there being about 1 pint of E85 left in the hose was right I figure the pint mixed in with 15 pints of E10 would end up with a mix of: [(15 X .1) + (1 X .85)]/16 = .147 or 15% alcohol instead of the 10% you thought you were buying.  (There are 16 pints in 2 gallons).

If this bothers you, maybe you can find a pump that does not offer the E85?
To the best of my knowledge, no one even sells the stuff here in Arizona.
I'll start keeping my eyes open to see if anyone is selling the stuff out of the same pump.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 05:08:59 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 01:43:37 pm
If the guy ahead of you pumped E85, there might be a pint of it left in the hose when you start pumping the E10 but just to think about a worst case situation lets say there was 1 quart left in the pump and hose.

If you were filling a 2 gallon can that would make 7 quarts of E10 + 1 quart of E85 ending up in the can.

I might be doing this wrong but if I take the 7 times 10% = 0.7
 plus 1 times 85% = 1.55 divided by 8 quarts =  0.194 or 19.4% alcohol.

If my guess about there being about 1 pint of E85 left in the hose was right I figure the pint mixed in with 15 pints of E10 would end up with a mix of: [(15 X .1) + (1 X .85)]/16 = .147 or 15% alcohol instead of the 10% you thought you were buying.  (There are 16 pints in 2 gallons).

If this bothers you, maybe you can find a pump that does not offer the E85?
To the best of my knowledge, no one even sells the stuff here in Arizona.
I'll start keeping my eyes open to see if anyone is selling the stuff out of the same pump.

Ya know, I think both of us (at least I hope you do) realize that this is just a driveway discussion full of sound and fury signifying nothing  ;) :o

I'm not really an ethanol lunatic running around waving my arms in the air screaming "This ethanol crap is ruining my poor, little motorcycle engine and I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more".

I know that's not true. It's probably doing no more damage than Dry Gas although I don't know the exact differences in the chemical makeup. I do know that it damages other stuff that it contacts far more than anything it does in the combustion chamber. Alcohol burns quite well there. I'm way more angry at what these lunatics did to the world corn market, but, of course, the media never covers THAT. Oh, no.

My whole bitchin' and moanin' about ethanol is generated by my fear and loathing of this government that I have watched in detail since the '50s pull more and more power over the American people into itself and many many millions don't even realize it, aren't paying any attention, have been lied to since kindergarten OR are getting exactly what they want from this government so of course they just want to maintain the status quo or ensure that the quo keeps sending them a check or gives them tenure or reelects them.

This ethanol scam is just one more thing added to a list of thousands that the government has shoved onto us under the guise of "We're here to help you and we're doing this for you to save the world so just don't look behind the curtain; we'll take care of you. Just go to the mall or whatever your "drug of choice" is and trust us".   

The ultimate goal is to leave NO choices to the people and have them not even realize that it happened (and it's been VERY successful). The goal is for every choice to be predetermined and mandated and sealed by law by a central government and those who don't see that will have it sooner or later come clear and it won't matter any more.

And actually ethanol is probably 1/2 way down in the long, long list. What or who is the lesser of two (or 3 or a hundred) evils is now a totally unanswerable question.  We no longer have a government that functions for the good of the country.  That is long gone - never to return.

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 07:52:30 pm
I like the mall! ;D
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 02:38:22 am
Well, hell!

If you would have gotten into the Government is taking away our rights and freedoms instead of asking about some dude filling his tank with E85 you would have saved me from having to do some thinking.

Of course the bastards are taking away our rights and forcing us to buy stuff we don't want.

Sure, the big money places are making a fortune by getting favorable laws and regulations passed for them.

I think any thinking person can see that. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 02:07:36 pm
Well, hell!

If you would have gotten into the Government is taking away our rights and freedoms instead of asking about some dude filling his tank with E85 you would have saved me from having to do some thinking.

Oh, shit. I forgot. We're not supposed to think any more. The Progressives have been busy for the past 60 years keeping kids fat, dumb and stupid and weeding out all free thought and self-determination starting in kindergarten. And they've been VERY successful.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 02:50:57 pm
Well, hell!

Of course the bastards are taking away our rights and forcing us to buy stuff we don't want.

Sure, the big money places are making a fortune by getting favorable laws and regulations passed for them.

I think any thinking person can see that. :)

I assume you are not including the "progressive" news media into that "thinking" comment.   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 02:40:02 pm
Some kind of Tech Tip?  ;)

Our rides may not have any political views, but we could consider the RE somewhat "Anti Establishment".

Peace, Love, Dove.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.