aboard

Author Topic: Kick Start Only RE: How to for women ;-)  (Read 1856 times)

jentabeling

• Neophyte
on: September 23, 2016, 03:48:45 pm
About a month ago I bought a 2008 RE Bullet 500, kick start only. And that bike and I did not get along:( I literally tried and tried and could not kick start her. Then finally, after video after video and advice after advice, figured out how to do it. Reason I am sharing is for women I think its just more difficult to get the hang of it - OR maybe it was just me....
Steps (temperature outside is certainly a variable, I can start it with this procedure in 60-80 degrees so far):
1) turn on choke
2) keep bike key OFF
3) press down decom lever then easily/slowly kick through 3 times
4) turn OFF choke
5) turn key on (make sure your kick stand is UP and the run button is on RUN)
6) kick through one time, full swing
7) on second swing you should feel resistance about 1/2 through kick. STOP here. Then kick through fast and hard. That should start the bike :0 If not keep doing this a few more times.
8) if that does not work, then turn choke back on and try again.

Happy starting ;)

jen

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 04:58:15 pm
Jen,
Good instructions. As a tip when you are looking for TDC if you watch the ammeter it will be in the negative and then snap to the center at the moment the bike is supposed to fire. This is the optimum position for starting,.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 11:05:11 pm
With no amp meter on my UCE and no external decompression lever to move my method of finding kick starting is to first pull in the clutch and give the kick starter a full downward push to break loose the clutch plates. (Only for the first start of the day.)

Then with the clutch lever released I kick the starter lever until I feel it coming up on compression.  (Lots of resistance).

Applying a moderate amount of downward pressure, the piston rises slowly as the compression slowly leaks past the valves and rings.
As soon as TDC is reached, the lever becomes much easier to push downward but that is where I stop pushing.

Being fuel injected there is no choke to mess with but if it is on a cold day and this is the first time I've started the engine, I move the "By-Starter" valve lever to the fully applied position.

Re-cocking the kick start lever for a full stroke, with the throttle left in the idle position or just cracked open a little bit,  I give a full, strong, downward shove of the kick starter lever all the way to the bottom.

By doing the full, hard kick, just after the piston has reached TDC, the kick gets the heavy flywheel spinning.
The flywheels momentum plus the added force of the full kick to the bottom is enough to get the piston easily thru the next compression stroke.

Rarely does it take more than two attempts to get the engine running.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:09:10 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 09:17:27 am
Great instructions! Have you found that it is important to kick the engine all of the way through so that the top of your show touches the bottom of the foot peg?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 02:00:00 pm
Well, actually, on my G5 the top of my shoe is about 3" (76mm) below the bottom of the foot peg when the kick starter reaches bottom but yes, that last bit of stroke at the bottom seems to help starting.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • There Are No Truths Outside The Gates Of Eden
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 11:19:25 am

5) turn key on (make sure your kick stand is UP and the run button is on RUN)

jen

All good stuff, Jen. ++1 But I hope you haven't made a habit out of shutting the engine Off with the Kill Switch. It's a KILL switch, not an engine On/Off switch. Shut the engine off with the decompressor and the sprag with thank you for it  :) ;)
2008 AVL Classic.Extensive head work by Ace.Ace canister/TM32/Ace manifold.Small open bottle/hot tube removed.Pertronix Coil.Bobber seat.Fed mandates removed.Battery in right side case.Decomp&all doodads removed.'30s Lucas taillight/7" headlight.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 10:07:11 am
I've told this story before but..... when I first started with the RE in 1998 or early 1999 I was at a show  with an unprepped Iron. They were a nightmare out of the box and without about 8 hours of detailed  prep they were a time bomb.  Some guys from Cycle World showed up and said that my office had told them it was ready to go for them to use for the weekend. I knew nothing about it. I tried to start it (kick start only in those days) and nothing. Checked spark - nothing. Bear in mind these guys were standing there impatiently watching me. Then took of the tank to trace wiring when I noticed that the kill switch was turned off. Never turned off a bike with it again. LOL
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com