Author Topic: New "Kid" on a Bullet  (Read 7098 times)

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
on: August 15, 2007, 02:57:52 am
I recently retired :)  I saw an ad for a used RE 2005 Classic Bullet 500ES w/a Cozy Bullet sidecar. I bought it. My wifes calls this an impulse buy ::) A brief history on the bike is that it came out of Dallas TX where it was the show piece for the RE booth at the 2005 motor show. I'm the 3rd owner. The bike came w/1950 miles on it.

I am really new to the MC & sidecar world. I have not rode a motorized anything since the mid-50s and a Cushman scooter.

So trust me when I say I more than likely will be asking many ?s and looking to your expertise.

Two things: 1. Any suggestion on a good manual for do it yourself RE items that a novice can understand. 2. The bike came with some scratches and I would like to touch up the green paint. How about a source?
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:13:09 pm
I recently retired :)  I saw an ad for a used RE 2005 Classic Bullet 500ES w/a Cozy Bullet sidecar. I bought it. My wifes calls this an impulse buy ::) A brief history on the bike is that it came out of Dallas TX where it was the show piece for the RE booth at the 2005 motor show. I'm the 3rd owner. The bike came w/1950 miles on it.

I am really new to the MC & sidecar world. I have not rode a motorized anything since the mid-50s and a Cushman scooter.

So trust me when I say I more than likely will be asking many ?s and looking to your expertise.

Two things: 1. Any suggestion on a good manual for do it yourself RE items that a novice can understand. 2. The bike came with some scratches and I would like to touch up the green paint. How about a source?

Our hosts are the best source for anything Enfield www.enfieldmotorcycles.com.  Pete Snidal's manual and a parts book for sure.  Maybe you have already found http://www.cyclesidecar.com/ also by Classic Motor Works.
  Riding a hack is a lot different than two wheels and there are some drivers on this forum that I'm sure will help you out.

Have Fun,
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 01:33:17 pm
First thing to realize, is that you don't have a bike, you have a rig - they handle totally differently. If you do not have experience with a side car, or hack as they are popularly known, get as much information on their behavior as you can. There is a book that you should try find: Driving a Sidecar Outfit, by David L. Hough.  I cannot stress enough the value of this book - it is a life saver. 

Things to be aware of with the hack - you need to turn the handlebar to turn, and it needs you to move your body in the direction of the turn.  This body movement is to keep all three wheels on the road.  When you speed up, the hack will hold you back - if you are in the US, the hack is on the right, and you will veer to the right whilst accelerating - not much, but some. When you slow down, the hack will speed you up, so you will veer to the left, not much, but some.
 In extreme braking, if the front wheel locks, you will veer violently to the left, right into the path of oncoming traffic, so you need to think ahead at least 500 yards. Anticipation is the tool you need to use.
These things are the negative side of sidecars - Turning towards the hack (right in the US) may cause the hack wheel to lift off the ground - this is only alarming, if you don't know it happens. I practice lifting that wheel often - it is called 'flying the chair' and if you can do it at will, you can control the rig much better than you could.  Crashes involving sidecar rigs happen usually when turning.   Left turns can lift the rear wheel of the bike, right turns can lift the hack wheel - if you ain't expecting it, it will cause problems.  Severe braking can cause the rig to swerve.  Of all of the sidecar crashes I know about, 80% were front wheel skid, veer left deals.The cozy is different in as much as it does not come with a sidecar brake - I ride a Ural as primary bike rig, and it has a sidecar brake.  This being said, I am intending to buy a cozy, for my Bullet in the new year, so the lack of a brake on the hack wheel is not too much of a problem.

Positive aspects of the sidecar...  You don't fall over at stop lights; you can ride all year, (my Ural is 2wd, so I can drive any weather too) You can carry way more in the hack than a bike can carry.  You will experience an amazing amount of Delay Factor - people ask about Royal Enfields all the time - add a hack, and they will ask more often.  You become more visible, making it a safer option.

The best thing you could do for yourself, would be to find a sidecar rider course, and go there.   

aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 04:07:18 pm
Although we sell the book and it is a little self-serving, we also HIGHLY recommend that you get the book Driving a Sidecar Rig. You can get it here. http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/driving-sidecar-outfit-p-7019.html
We think so highly of the book and of training that we give one copy away with each sidecar purchase.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 07:41:04 pm
Thanks for the quick responses & good info:)

My Cozy is equiped a disc brake. It does make a difference!

This wknd I'm taking the local MC safety crse. Of course they only focus on the two wheel & no hacks. So I will be looking for a specialized crse.

I'm in NW WI & I want to get as much riding in as I can before the season ends.

Cheers

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 08:02:43 pm
Wow, you have a disc brake on the sidecar.. I want one. 

Do you have any pictures of the rig, and of the disc brake?
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 09:44:45 pm
Bullettier:

I just went back & read what I wrote. I have a drum brake on my sidecar. This rig was originally set up by Perry Motorcycles of Ft Worth TX. According to the previous owner Perry Motorcycles "engineered" the rig to proper caster & camber w/sidecar drum brakes.

I did put 2 photos in the gallery. You should be able to see the brake on the sidecar.

Again sorry about the mis-info.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 10:07:16 pm
I can never find anything in the galleries - they are designed to fool me every time.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:40:41 am
Bulleteer:

To see my pics click on community; then photo gallery; them member rides. I have 2 there. Hope you can open them.

Cheers,  8)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 02:42:34 am
I saw them, A very cool looking rig, and the brake is something I will be fitting to the couple of cozy sidecars I intend to get, in the next year.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:40:18 pm
Bulleeter  et al:

I find the brake on the sidecar makes a big difference in control. Tends to lessen the penchant for veering.

I did order Hough's bk a Driving a Sidecar & a service manual. Thanks for the advice. They should arrive Fri/Sat. I called our host's place to request some paint. Let me tell you it's been along time since I was treated as nicely. Kuddo's to Patricia (I hope the name is correct). I've been known for getting in trouble because of messing up someone name. It was a please unlike my experience w/our local Harley dealer.

Glad you like the pics. Hope you get those brakes that you want.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 11:53:35 pm
I don't know which impresses me more...  The RE USA folk, or the RE I own..
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA