Author Topic: Question about Quill Seal  (Read 3089 times)

Noodlees

• Scooter
on: February 27, 2018, 03:45:48 pm
Hi there!
I want to make a complete service of my bike before the spring time, so I can make some short trip up to the mountains around here, but I've some doubt.Let's start with questions:

1) Some days ago I spotted a little ooze of oil from the bolt that you can view in this image (that i took from the web):

And I realize the copper washer was damaged: I don't know how, but it was cutted by the thread of the bolt (I'm sorry...My english is so bad...I don't know how to explain...). I bought in a local store a new copper washer but, is a little bit thicker than the original one. Is this a problem?

2) Wanna make a complete service before spring time and I've read about a quill seal (the one that was in cork some times ago), that it's really important for the healt of the bike. How can I check if it's ok? What kind of problem I can meet if I drive with a damaged one? Is there some warnings produced by a broken seal (I mean weird sound, high heat...) I can feel, before it's too late?

3)When I replaced the new copper washer and screwed the quill bolt in his seat I felt some kind of resistance when screwing. Is this normal?

I'm so very sorry for my bad english. Is a little bit rusty, not like my bike. I hope my english is understandable... Best Regards!!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:59:11 pm by Noodlees »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 06:10:59 pm
Hi there!
I want to make a complete service of my bike before the spring time, so I can make some short trip up to the mountains around here, but I've some doubt.Let's start with questions:

1) Some days ago I spotted a little ooze of oil from the bolt that you can view in this image (that i took from the web):

And I realize the copper whaser was damaged: I don't know how, but it was cutted by the thread of the bolt (I'm sorry...My english is so bad...I don't know how to explain...). I bought in a local store a new copper washer but, is a little bit thicker than the original one. Is this a problem?

2) Wanna make a complete service before spring time and I've read about a quill seal (the one that was in cork some times ago), that it's really important for the healt of the bike. How can I check if it's ok? What kind of problem I can meet if I drive with a damaged one? Is there some warnings produced by a broken seal (I mean weird sound, high heat...) I can feel, before it's too late?

3)When I replaced the new copper whaser and screwed the quill bolt in his seat I felt some kind of resistance when screwing. Is this normal?

I'm so very sorry for my bad english. Is a little bit rusty, not like my bike. I hope my english is understandable... Best Regards!!!

Please don't apologize for your command of the English language. It is absolutely OK. I have seen way worse on job applications by high school and university graduates here in the U.S.. And that is not an indictment of the people so much as an indictment of our so-called education system.

You are doing just fine  :) :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:21:15 pm
1..."is a little bit thicker than the original one. Is this a problem?"
How many millimeters thicker?......if 1mm not a problem...if 5mm could be problem.
2..."How can I check if it's ok? What kind of problem I can meet if I drive with a damaged one? Is there some warnings produced by a broken seal (I mean weird sound, high heat...)"
You can check quill seal three ways that I can think of.......1)remove the quill bolt, visually look at the seal inside timing cover, see if there are cuts, tears, rips, fragments of rubber (or cork seal if installed); 2) when inserting the quill bolt back into the rubber or cork seal, there should be a bit of drag on the bolt tube (if no drag or tube has lash from side to side, the seal is worn out); 3) check the oil flow at the head by opening the tappet door and see if there is good flow of oil dripping down from the head while engine running.

The reason being that if the quill seal is not sealing, the oil will not be at pressure into the crank.  If no or little oil at the crank, there will be even less at the head (or tappet door).

3)"When I replaced the new copper whaser and screwed the quill bolt in his seat I felt some kind of resistance when screwing. Is this normal?

Yes...a small amount of drag is normal (however, if the drag feels like gravel between two pieces of metal, that is not good.  The drag on quill bolt should be smooth like sticking your spoon into a block of jello, tofu, custard or pudding.

Noodlees

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:58:00 pm
Hi there!
Thanks a lot for the Replies!
Let’s go  straight to the point:
1. It’s not so thicker...maybe 1 mm or 2...Tomorrow I will check...
3. Yes it’s exactly the amount of drag I felt, like a spoon in a block of jello!

Thanks, also, for good things about my english...i feel more comfortable here now...

Best regards!!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:24:59 pm by Noodlees »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 12:38:38 pm
Thanks, also, for good things about my english...i feel more comfortable here now...

Best regards!!!

Your grammar and vocabulary may be "creative," but there is no doubt of your meaning - which isn't always true for many of our native English speakers!  You're doing great...  8)

Noodlees

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 03:44:02 pm
1..."is a little bit thicker than the original one. Is this a problem?"
How many millimeters thicker?......if 1mm not a problem...if 5mm could be problem.
2..."How can I check if it's ok? What kind of problem I can meet if I drive with a damaged one? Is there some warnings produced by a broken seal (I mean weird sound, high heat...)"
You can check quill seal three ways that I can think of.......1)remove the quill bolt, visually look at the seal inside timing cover, see if there are cuts, tears, rips, fragments of rubber (or cork seal if installed); 2) when inserting the quill bolt back into the rubber or cork seal, there should be a bit of drag on the bolt tube (if no drag or tube has lash from side to side, the seal is worn out); 3) check the oil flow at the head by opening the tappet door and see if there is good flow of oil dripping down from the head while engine running.

The reason being that if the quill seal is not sealing, the oil will not be at pressure into the crank.  If no or little oil at the crank, there will be even less at the head (or tappet door).

3)"When I replaced the new copper whaser and screwed the quill bolt in his seat I felt some kind of resistance when screwing. Is this normal?

Yes...a small amount of drag is normal (however, if the drag feels like gravel between two pieces of metal, that is not good.  The drag on quill bolt should be smooth like sticking your spoon into a block of jello, tofu, custard or pudding.

Hi there!

I wanna upgrade the 3d with some photos...

That's the old quill bolt copper washer:

That's the new one:

The old one was 1.1 mm thick. The new one it's like 1.5 mm. I think there's no problem about the size of the new one.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:34:29 pm by Noodlees »

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 05:03:58 pm
That should be fine, the old washer may have been closer to 1.5 before it was crushed.