Author Topic: First test ride of Woodsman / Tomahawk 500.  (Read 4056 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 13, 2016, 09:13:59 pm
The very first trip up the road [and down the Roman Road] for this recently completed machine. It went quite well, but a few issues became apparent, including the chain rubbing the chain guard and an oil leak from the magneto drive seal - now sorted. The machine itself is a 1956 Indian Tomahawk [500 twin], with 1955 Woodsman 500 single engine fitted, but we chose to badge the tank as a Royal Enfield. We had the Excelsior Manxman in mind when we chose the paint scheme for the petrol tank  ;)
 B.W.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhT4wfnCDss

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 11:22:25 pm
The very first trip up the road [and down the Roman Road] for this recently completed machine. It went quite well, but a few issues became apparent, including the chain rubbing the chain guard and an oil leak from the magneto drive seal - now sorted. The machine itself is a 1956 Indian Tomahawk [500 twin], with 1955 Woodsman 500 single engine fitted, but we chose to badge the tank as a Royal Enfield. We had the Excelsior Manxman in mind when we chose the paint scheme for the petrol tank  ;)
 B.W.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhT4wfnCDss

Love the bark off that pipe, and the paint. Nearly got a haircut of that tractor though :o
I fancy building a Hounds Arrow rep. Painfully slow I would imagine. 8)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 01:41:56 am
There was a later version based on the unit construction Crusader 250, which is tunable! (That's the one at the back of the picture.)

http://www.re-indian.com/images/59fa.jpg

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:54:59 am
Love the bark off that pipe, and the paint. Nearly got a haircut of that tractor though :o
I fancy building a Hounds Arrow rep. Painfully slow I would imagine. 8)
Yes, you can't go sneaking around on this one  ;D
 Meeting that tractor was a bit of a surprise and brought back memories. My first motorbike accident happened when I was 12 years old and involved a tractor - an International B250, which I often drove on the neighbouring farm. I was going up the lane on my Bantam and met the tractor, with the farmer driving it, coming towards me on a right hand bend, I swerved over but because the left end of my handlebars clipped it, went straight into the rear left wheel, which had the extension bolts on for dual wheels, but the duals weren't fitted - one of them gave me a big cut on my chest, but it didn't put me off bikes or tractors  ;D Below is a blurry picture of me aged about 12 on the International, with the dual wheels on. Driving that tractor for 40p per hour paid for the Bantam which hit that very tractor, rather ironically ::)
 Incidentally, one of my customers has a few long term projects here and one of them is a pre unit 250 RE with swingarm and high level pipe. I will try and climb over some stuff to take a picture of it  ;)
 B.W.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:12:37 am by Bullet Whisperer »

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 04:21:51 pm
That was delightful!
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120