Author Topic: Check oil, screwed in or out and Clutch oil level check  (Read 7009 times)

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
on: September 08, 2008, 07:04:48 pm
I just bought a used '06 Bullet ES, learning a lot so far.

When changing the oil, I followed the manual and put too much oil in on my first change. Should I check the oil level with the stick screwed all the way in or resting on the top, not screwed in? Is there an easy way to drain some, but not all? Sucking it out with a hose tastes awful :)

Another question: the owners manual points to the bolt holding the clutch cover on as the clutch oil level check, when I unscrewed it to check my level, the cover fell off and all the oil fell on my driveway (well some of it, I had a catch pan under the bolt). Is it the bolt below the shifter with the flat head slot the clutch oil check bolt?

Thank you,
-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:28:44 pm
To remove oil with an overfill; Borrow a turkey baster from your wife. Put the hose that gave you the bad taste on the baster. Remove oil as needed. Deny knowledge of turkey baster..... forever.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:48:34 pm
Rick - yes, the bolt with the slot towards the bottom of the primary drive cover is the level plug.  The big one at the top is the fill plug.  You pour oil in at the top until it just begins to trickle out from the level plug hole.  The bolt in the middle - well, you know what that one's for!

Hope you enjoy your bullet.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:11:25 pm
careful with that level plug, it's the first one I stripped on my bike.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:33:34 pm
Should I screw in the dipstick or rest it on the top?

Thanks for all the answers,
-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:40:47 pm
    You know, I can't answer that question because the manual doesn't say.I don't screw mine in to check, because every motorcycle I've owned (just over 20) that had a dipstick, you didn't screw them in to check. I think most here will dissagree with me on that though-we'll see.
    Also, if you overfill a little you can just use a drinking straw and insert the straw,plug the end with your index finger, and pull it out. It will pull out some oil each time you do it until your happy with the level, and no mouth useage. And,yeah,the factory owners manual isn't the clearest on these issues.

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:27:32 pm
I check mine with it screwed in.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 12:05:48 am
I check mine with it screwed in.

Andy

Well then that would be about a 1/2 qt. low. Just about right.  ;)

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:37:47 am
Rick:

I think most of us over fill on the first go around.  :-\

I fill until the dipstik shows a little more than 1/2 when fully screwed in. ;)

Of course I tend to check my oil level more often.  ;)

That's my procedure  8)

Enjoy your ride. The guys on this site are great.  ;D
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 01:06:16 am
Rick:

I think most of us over fill on the first go around.  :-\

I fill until the dipstik shows a little more than 1/2 when fully screwed in. ;)

Of course I tend to check my oil level more often.  ;)

That's my procedure  8)

Enjoy your ride. The guys on this site are great.  ;D

Yup, thats they way I do it. Marked the stick 1/2 way between the top and bottom mark. Check with it screwed down.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

exmayor

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 01:47:11 am
reperko

When I got my used '06 Electra it was overfilled.  I bought a cheep plastic turkey baster and slid a section of 1/4 in id clear tubing and just pumped out the overfill till it was 1/2 way up the dipstick.  Good luck ann welcome

Rick
'06 Electra w/Rocket sidecar (Green)
'02 Ducati Monster 620 (Dark)

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 04:21:09 am
The owner's manual on my '06 says check the oil level by screwing the dipstick down fully seated.  iow - before the first ride of the day, unscrew it and check the level.  Best if no higher than the center of the cross hatch.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 05:28:07 pm
+1 more for checking screwed-in, opposite every other bike I've ever owned as you pointed out.
I keep the level about 1/2 way between the marks.
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 08:17:37 pm
Should I screw in the dipstick or rest it on the top?

Thanks for all the answers,
-Rick
The oil level is correct when the dipstick is screwed all the way in after being wiped off, then unscrewed again to check and with the oil at the top of the full indicator on the stick.  You do NOT want to put enough oil in the tank to come up to the top of the dipstick indicator when the stick is just sitting unscrewed on its opening.

You can, of course, check the oil without screwing the stick all the way back down, but only if you interpolate where the oil should come on the stick if you do it that way were the tank full.... which would be maybe halfway down the stick then,

Also, you might note that you don't really need to run with a full tank of oil.  The manual indicates that the real danger is if the oil isn't topped back up if its level is below the low mark on the stick when the stick is properly screwed in.

Too, note that the O-ring that seals the screw sometimes has a habit of sticking to the stick instead of laying in its grove such that when you screw the stick back in the O-ring winds up being cocked off.  The stick then won't seal (a) and if forced may cut the O-ring (b) both of which events fall under the category of 'ungood things.'
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

Elk Grove Don

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 01:04:49 am
I haven't changed the oil in the clutch case yet but the manual says to loosen the case screws and let the oil run out then retighten the screws, could one pull off the whole case cover , drill and tap for a drain screw and not have to deal with the mess, I suspect there is not enough meat to drill and tap, how about drill, insert plug with nut and gasket on the inside of the case and remove drain screw from plug? Has anyone tried this?
Elk

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 04:58:02 am
I don't know if anyone has done this but no doubt it is doable, but you would deprive yourself the opportunity to inspect all the fun things under that cover.

I haven't changed the oil in the clutch case yet but the manual says to loosen the case screws and let the oil run out then retighten the screws, could one pull off the whole case cover , drill and tap for a drain screw and not have to deal with the mess, I suspect there is not enough meat to drill and tap, how about drill, insert plug with nut and gasket on the inside of the case and remove drain screw from plug? Has anyone tried this?
Elk
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com