Author Topic: 2006 AVL with no electrical power  (Read 2011 times)

staib

• Scooter
on: September 07, 2008, 06:13:32 pm

I posted in the Tech Help section thought I would mention here in the AVL section in case the answer is not as technical as I thought.  In a nutshell, my Electra X has been running sweetly, but on the way back from the gas station - with a full tank it just 'died' - as if the ignition had been switched off.

There is plenty of juice in the battery, the negative is earthed nicely to the frame - but, there is no other power - no starter, no lights, even the green neutral light is off.  It's as dead as a dodo! The kill switch was not touched!

What should I be checking in order of obviousness?   ???
"Vixen" 500cc Royal Enfield Electra Classic
"Blondie" Piaggio X9 500cc maxi-scooter
"Zoomer" 50cc Honda Ruckus

Previous rides include: H-D Sportster, BMW R65 and K100, various Hondas and a Ducati

Bath Bullet

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:43:12 pm
I hav'nt really had time or cause to look at all the wiring on the bikes, I know some of the connectors are very suspect though.
First thing I would check is fuses, if the there is power from the batterythen that fuse would be o.k., but are there any others in the casquet?
If you find a blown fuse, you will have to look for the cause too.
Best regards
Terry
BITING THE BULLET:  2001 500 CLASSIC living in Sunny Bat, Somerset
Also 2008 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 865 EFI

staib

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 10:13:54 pm
Thanks  Scotts Bullet - I too now figure it has to be a fuse or a connector.  I think more likely to be the latter, but I can check with a dealer tomorrow, and ask if there is anything else I should be thinking of...   Cheers,   Nick

UPDATE:  It was the ammeter connector which had worked loose - this was the first suggestion of my dealer (Richardsons), as well  as some of the members of this forum.  It's now fixed!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:33:54 pm by staib »
"Vixen" 500cc Royal Enfield Electra Classic
"Blondie" Piaggio X9 500cc maxi-scooter
"Zoomer" 50cc Honda Ruckus

Previous rides include: H-D Sportster, BMW R65 and K100, various Hondas and a Ducati

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 04:07:44 pm
I just got mine (2007 Electra X AVL) back from the shop for the same symptoms. The culprit was the Stator, it was grounding out internally, apparently not the first time this has happened with these bikes.

Bill