Author Topic: AVL electrical gremlin - help!  (Read 2215 times)

staib

• Scooter
on: September 07, 2008, 03:54:23 pm
Hi all,
I have a 2006 Electra X  - that stopped working today   ???
There is no electricity at all coming into the bike. No green light in neutral, nothing works.
Background:  The battery was topped up last night (by coincidence) on a trickle charger. It started first kick from cold (Yeay - first time  8)) - but it cut out once as I drove out (I assumed it was still cold) - then started on the electric starter immediately. I drove a mile or so to the petrol station to fill her up. Started again immediately on the electric starter, but coming home the engine just died (luckily on a straight bit).
I checked the kill switch - OK, then battery connections - they looked good.  And the fuses - they were good.  Then took the lamp off to check the various electrical wires and connections behind - again all looked nice and clean and firmly connected. 
So I pushed the bike home  :o
What next?  Any suggestions appreciated!
Nick
"Vixen" 500cc Royal Enfield Electra Classic
"Blondie" Piaggio X9 500cc maxi-scooter
"Zoomer" 50cc Honda Ruckus

Previous rides include: H-D Sportster, BMW R65 and K100, various Hondas and a Ducati

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 04:49:16 pm
Check for a good spark with spark plug removed but still connected and resting against cylinder head for earthing. Keep fingers away if you don't like 30KV jolts.

You should get a nice fat blue spark across gap when engine is turned over.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

staib

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:54:50 pm
Well, I just used a voltmeter to check the battery - all is good there.  And the earth cable from the battery has a good clean connection to the frame behind it.  I then followed the + cable round to the front of the battery where it goes into a round thing (starter relay?). There is a measurable 12v on the side going in, but nothing on the 'other' terminal. 
The rest of the bike seems dead - no spark at the spark-plug (I just tried that Chasfield) and the ammeter doesn't move. The green 'neutral' light stays off - no indicators, side lights etc.
What else should I be doing?!  Cheers,  Nick

Previous rides include: H-D Sportster, BMW R65 and K100, various Hondas and a Ducati

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 06:24:27 pm
Your bike is quite a bit newer than mine and I have no experience of electric start models. However, I think that the heavy duty connection to the electric starter will be a separate thing in itself that bypasses the positive feed to the rest of the bike's electrical system.

The latter fused feed will go to the ammeter via the ignition switch. If it is getting there then, with the ignition on, there should be 12v on both ammeter terminals. The ammeter itself is almost invisible, electrically speaking, i.e. almost zero impedance. Everything electrical hangs off the far side of the ammeter so that all current draws show up on it.

If the power isn't getting to the ammeter then there must be a break in the feed circuit - maybe a bullet connector pulled loose between the tool boxes or under the seat somewhere.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

staib

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 10:10:43 pm
Thanks Chasfield - I think I will need to take the seat off (the tank?) and check all the wiring - as you say, its more likely to be a bullet connector somewhere than the general state of the wiring as all that is still pretty new.... 

Does anyone know if there are more fuses on an Electra X than the two by the battery?  For total apparent power loss, I can really only think of battery (not that), poor earth (not that), fuses (maybe), connector (maybe)...

Do they put fuses in that space behind the headlamp, or elsewhere under the seat or tank? 

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 01:59:45 am
I would recheck in the headlight wiring again, particularly the connector on the back of the ignition switch. Since you lost all electrical functions along with the ignition it seems a likely place. make sure the spades are all fully pushed in on the ignition switch plug.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 02:52:32 am
Lights? horn?

You should have a wiring circuit diagram in your hand book.

If you have absalutely nothing,  look at the diagram  route  that goes back far enough to give this problem.  Start there,-- but it will no doubt be a loose connection some where.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

staib

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:30:40 pm
I would recheck in the headlight wiring again, particularly the connector on the back of the ignition switch. Since you lost all electrical functions along with the ignition it seems a likely place. make sure the spades are all fully pushed in on the ignition switch plug.
Thanks for your patent advice (and you too, Clamp) - thinking about it more calmly the ignition unit does move around a wee bit - so it could well be a cable has worked loose. I'll check more carefully this evening.  Can't wait to get the beast 'alive' again.

staib

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 08:31:42 pm
Just a quick note to confirm that 'Vixen' roars again  ::)

It was just the connector on the ammeter side that had worked a little loose - looking back in recent days it had cut out once or twice as I swung hard around to the left leaving our garage.  I had assumed it was because the engine was cold.  Now I know better.

I've also mastered kick-starting the bike into life from cold, so life is good!

Thanks again for all your suggestions - you were all on the right track!

Nick