Author Topic: Crowded Headlamp  (Read 1295 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 07, 2008, 09:48:29 am
My 2001 classic 500 has a nice H4 halogen headlamp unit installed. I noted that three rather bent spade connectors had been used instead of the proper H4 headlamp connector so I order one up and put it in.

Bit of a tight fit in there - the headlamp bowl is too deep for the casquette and the H4 connector is being forced into very hard contact with the speedometer cable. I now see why the job had been bodged with bent spade connectors in the first place...   

For a moment I experience that strange feeling of bodge insight deja vu. Then I formulate a three-way plan to make things better.

1) I discard the after-market chromed headlamp peak. This was pushing the headlamp bowl back a couple of mm into the casquette.

2) Like a madman, I file the headlamp bulb terminals so that the H4 connector slides all the way on. Another mm gained.

3) I use a small  file on the bulb mounting slots so that the three bulb tags sit slightly deeper in the H4 bulb mounting. Alignment and focus still seem ok but care should be taken. Another mm gained.

My three star bodge outranks the previous two star one and the headlamp fits nicely now.

;D
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Bath Bullet

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:22:51 pm
Haha, with professional bodges, sorry I meant dodges like that they will be offering you a job at the factory next!
Best regards
Terry
BITING THE BULLET:  2001 500 CLASSIC living in Sunny Bat, Somerset
Also 2008 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 865 EFI

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:34:05 pm
REs are sweet bikes once all the necessary bodges are in place ;D
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.