Author Topic: Adjusting the tappets  (Read 1393 times)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 07, 2008, 01:38:21 am
While I admit I am no mechanic, I can follow directions as long as they are spelled out succinctly.
I recently obtained the parts manual, factory repair manual and Snidal's CD (so far I am a litle disappointed in Snidals). The problem I had recently with the oil change was a result of things not being labeled properly. For example, I learned on here not to mess with the quill bolt (which i would not have known had I stuck with the manuals). But I have yet to find in any of the manuals a diagram showing where the quill bolt is. The only way I avoided removing it was to avoid messing with the timing case altogether.
Then one manual says add 2 lts oil. Elsewhere I read to only add 1.75. The forum said 1.5. I followed the forum. had I followed the manual, I would be a half quart overfull.

My valves sounded loud. i pull out the mechanics stethoscope, and find the exhaust tappet is a lot louder than the intake. I've done the adjustments on the Ural, so this should be similar.
The manual says to remove the valve covers. Snidal doesnt mention it. The manual says to use a feeler gauge set to zero. If you are going to use a feeler gauge, if it is zero, it doesn't exist.
So I go to remove the valve covers. There are 3 nuts on each one. One is a castle nut, and there is not a wrench in the tool kit that fits it. I use one from the ural and start to thread it off, but it will not clear the tank, and I don't want to remove the tank.
I remove the tappet cover only. I try to find TDC. With the Ural, there is a mark on the flywheel. A little more figuring is involved with the RE.
The intake valve seems ok. No up and down movement, barely twirls. The exhaust twirls like a top, and some slight up and down movement. There are 3 nuts. I hold the top one with a wrench, loosen the middle one (locknut) and adjust the bottom one so there is no up and down movement. Twirls fine. Tighten the locknut and the damn thing won't twirl at all. After about 8 tries, I think I have it ok. No up and down movement, but it is still loud. I thought the Ural was a PIA.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:59:41 am
Yeah,agreed, the valve adjustment is a bit of a pain, but its easy to get used to. Don't overdo it though,they will allways make noise,good adjustment or not. So leave your error on the loose side, the difference in noise is small, and its safer. This is primitive stuff, you cant judge it by today's standards.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 04:26:17 am
 The only way I've found to keep my valves quiet is to leave the bike shut off.  On mine the intake is consistantly louder. You'll get better with using three wrenches to adjust them but it will never be easy.