Author Topic: New Speedo, Ammeter and warning lights installed.  (Read 1491 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: July 23, 2016, 05:41:56 pm
Almost anyway...

Got my order from Hitchcock's and planned everything out so it'd go smoothly.

Here are the gauges and indicator lights. I found the wiring harness from my C5 plugged right in the the new gauges so that saved a lot of work I could unplug the harness and do all the swap out at the table and then just plug them back into the bike. I had to order bulbs for the ammeter and indicator lights as they both use a BA7 bulb and I had no LEDS in that size on hand, I checked and they should be here today. I just need to pull the headlight and pop out the old bulbs and load up the LEDs. I got a clear one for the back light and a red for the FI with amber for the low full.

I pulled the old gauges and layed out where to drill the 1/2" holes for the lights. I didn't want to screw this up as the housing has got to cost a bit!

I touched up the holes with a bit of paint and after dry I silicon sealed the lamp housings in place. The Ammeter when in next, it's held in with a simple rubber sleeve from the light panel it's replacing so it's a simple push in and friction does the rest, and hooked up the back lighting. The indicator lights got plugged up, after I made sure I had the right harness going to the right housing. Last was the speedometer, again very easy as the factory wiring plugged right in, sure was nice having gotten the bulbs sorted out in the house thanks to the short harness I could easily unplug. The drive cable slid right into place and tightened the nut and then tested it and the head light popped back in.

Before.

After shot
The Malky key look even more at home now.

Only thing is I haven't hook up the Amp side of the meter yet, www.cycleterminal.com is closed for vacation and I didn't want to halfa$$ it and then have to turn around in a couple of weeks and do it all over again. PLUS it's hotter the blazes out in the garage already and decided it was coffee time.

Coot

P.S. Notice? NO smoke or sparks?  ::)       
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:44:23 pm by The Old Coot »
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 07:34:58 pm
That looks nice. I'll probably do something similar to mine now that I've fitted a carb. The MIL doesn't serve much purpose now really so a nice ammeter would look good in its place.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 10:23:25 pm
looking good cooter ....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 03:35:52 am
Sweet!  8)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 12:07:53 am
Excellent!
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 01:02:03 am
Little update on the LEDs. I found the FI is wired backwards, I.E. the center is ground and the outside is the hot. The LED will not work reversed BUT all I had to do was swap the leads going into the molex plug that hooks in the the main harness and problem solved. The low fuel I am fairly sure is wired normally as it share s a ground with the back light and that works fine.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 05:37:21 am
Thats' a very tidy dashboard you have there, Coot.  The new speedo looks very sweet, but I'm a bit baffled that RE felt they had to put their brand on it, and off-centre too!  My reasoning is that if you don't know what brand of bike you are on by the time you are sitting on the thing, you are not going to have an epiphany purely by looking at the instruments.  Very odd - but a cool looking speedo never the less.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 07:24:38 am
Looks a whole lot better. 8)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream