Author Topic: Wich Royal Enfield???  (Read 8260 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 09:26:58 pm
I remember reading somewhere that fuel injected engines are not so easy to kick-start.  Any truth in that, or is that just an old wives tale?
I think that there are not many FI engines with kick-start. 

But I hear that the UCE has auto-decompression built in which should help kick-starting immensely.  I wonder how long it will be until RE removes the kick-starter?  Moder bikes certainly don't need it.  Last time I was at Vince's shop in Olympia he used the electric start on the Electra after my test ride.

Harley's last kick-starting bike was in 1985 (the Wide-Glide, IIRC).

The day they remove the kick starter, will be the day that I never consider buying another RE. Except for older used ones.

Bikes without a kick starter are a blight on humanity.
The worst bikes I've ever owned were electric-start-only.
I'll NEVER own another electric-start-only bike.
They are nothing but problems.
My BMW left me on the roadside more times than I can count, because of it's electric-start-only configuration.
My Laverda forced me to use jumper cables to my car EVERY TIME I wanted to cold-start it, and if I went anywhere I had to leave before the bike got cold or else it wouldn't start.
The first few years of RE electric starters were filled with examples of broken sprag gears, to the extent that some people removed the ES option and converted to KS-only.

After 40 years of motorcycling, there's only one feature that I will never again have on any bike I buy, and that's an electric starter.
It's the worst idea, EVER.
No need to have it, adds ALOT of extra cost to the price, produces maintenance and repair nightmares with HUGE repair bills, and leaves you stranded regularly.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 09:47:58 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 09:46:27 pm
The day they remove the kick starter, will be the day that I never consider buying another RE. Except for older used ones.

My BMW left me on the roadside more times than I can count, because of it's electric-start-only configuration.
My Laverda forced me to use jumper cables to my car EVERY TIME I wanted to cold-start it, and if I went anywhere I had to leave before the bike got cold or else it wouldn't start.
The first few years of RE electric starters were filled with examples of broken sprag gears, to the extent that some people removed the ES option and converted to KS-only.

After 40 years of motorcycling, there's only one feature that I will never again have on any bike I buy, and that's an electric starter.
No need to have it, adds ALOT of extra cost to the price, produces maintenance and repair nightmares with HUGE repair bills, and leaves you stranded regularly.

Yes, Ace, but what do you really think?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 09:50:28 pm

Yes, Ace, but what do you really think?

I was going to really get opinionated, but I decided to keep it toned-down for general consumption.
 ;D

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 02:36:55 am
    Wow, Ace, I've been bitching about the lack of kick starters on motorcycles for many years-especially on dual sports ,where you might be in the middle of nowhere, or on loose gravel,mud,etc, where a push start just isn't possible. I've complained often on this, and many people will just say "well,cars come with electric start only,and its no problem", etc. I've also complained often about newer motorcycles not having center stands , which helps in maintenance and allows you to remove either wheel relativeley easily.
   I don't mind motorcycles having electric start, but they need a kick starter also. The other thing I hate is vacuum controlled petcocks! They are an answer to a question nobody asked. I had one go out in the country and had to call a tow truck. Theres nothing wrong with a manual petcock, you just need to put it in the off position when you park the bike.

Take care, Jon in Puyallup
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:00:29 am by birdmove »
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

prof_stack

Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 04:39:04 am
Lots of passion, Ace!  The SR500 was the last bike I had with kick start.  Only kick starting on that thumper.  Embarrassed a few times.

The 4 Harley/Buell bikes I had experienced NO starting problems with ES.  I don't expect any problems with the Guzzi.

I think each of us has a jumping on and jumping off point in regards to classic motorcycles.  Ace, you made your jumping spot(s) pretty clear.   ::)

It is clear to me that I will own and ride a thumper again.  I'm hoping it's something new in the classical vein like the SR or an older styled Brit bike.  Heck, I wouldn't mind a 350cc version of the UCE, but I doubt the USA will see any of them.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 05:33:59 am
Lots of passion, Ace!  The SR500 was the last bike I had with kick start.  Only kick starting on that thumper.  Embarrassed a few times.

The 4 Harley/Buell bikes I had experienced NO starting problems with ES.  I don't expect any problems with the Guzzi.

I think each of us has a jumping on and jumping off point in regards to classic motorcycles.  Ace, you made your jumping spot(s) pretty clear.   ::)

It is clear to me that I will own and ride a thumper again.  I'm hoping it's something new in the classical vein like the SR or an older styled Brit bike.  Heck, I wouldn't mind a 350cc version of the UCE, but I doubt the USA will see any of them.

I'm okay with an E-start on there, as long as the kicker is still in place, like the current RE bikes are.
I have a couple ES engine cases that I'm building, but I'm eliminating the ES system, and building them as KS-only engines.
It's not to hard to change them over to KS only, and I prefer that, and it's alot cheaper when you don't have to buy the ES stuff to put on them.
The ES starter motor is over $500 each for the Bullet.

As long as I can still kick it, I'm happy.
I don't like being without that.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 12:51:17 pm
My old '72 R75/5 had both electric and kick start. If the temp was below 40 F w/ cold bike neither would work. Maybe after a while the kick would finally but I think that was because after all the kicking you warmed up the 90 wt. gear oil. I camped once in Colorado above snow and tree line in early June, I could barely push it to the down hill road. And then it didn't want to roll down hill. After about a half mile I was going fast enough to bump start it. But man that was a great place to camp. No one around but me and the deer grazing around a little stream with steam coming up. Hunger won out off to town I went.

LJRead

Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 07:03:30 pm
To me, having a kick starter (that's all I have) is a major consideration.  I hope it is never done away with. 

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 07:35:57 pm
The kick start is like an extra security device.

Most bike rustlers wouldn't be able to get my Bullet going and any who achieved a near miss would be walking with a limp and nicely softened up for the cops to arrest.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 07:51:27 pm
I'd like to point out there is more to the classic than just the "look". If you want a bike that is truly an antique, warts and all ,then the classic is the only choice. Then you will have no plastic covers, no e start(if you choose)no reservoir shocks, and an engine design that's been around for 53 years.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 05:20:58 pm
oh gosh .i dun it.  just bought an 04 triumph no kickstarter but it does have both kickstands really i only had to bump start my 82 suzi once  my only other kickstartless bike. well... if i feel like kicking theres always the other 3 bikes  .
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

LJRead

Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 06:53:42 am
This is going to sound odd to you, but I knew so little about modern bikes when I decided I needed to get back into riding one that I wasn't aware they made them without a kick starter.  I read Ace's spiel and totally agree with him.  Here we have one of the simplest bikes made and then they muck it up with electric start.  And to top that, they put in an electric starter motor that gives up the ghost when the bike suddenly decides to backfire, which large capacity one lungers are prone to do.  Usually I'm not very opinionated, but in this case I am.  Ace said it all perfectly.