Author Topic: Bulleteer Today  (Read 2680 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 06, 2008, 03:44:55 am
So here's post 100, which brings me to Bulleteer status on the day I picked up my new 2007 Classic, in black. Thanks to Mike Depalo of UK Motorsports, Oakdale, NY, for the expert setup.

The bike is mostly stock, except for the English made 1950s exhaust system (also getting rid of the PAV) and an aluminum heat ring for the top of the header pipe. After I returned the van I rode around Brooklyn for about 90 minutes, then went out again later to pick up Chinese food -- which for some reason took about an hour.  :)

Only a few embarrassing mess-ups so far, such as running out of gas in an intersection because I had the fuel tap off, and I can never seem to remember to switch off my turn signals. Boy am I happy to finally have my bike!

Tonight I installed the sidestand. Also screwed the baffle into the end of the exhaust pipe because it was just too loud!

Here are a couple of pictures:

Jeff
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:52:07 am by jdrouin »

Huffer

• Vespas fear me
  • Scooter
  • I brake for . . . long distances
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 07:02:02 am
Congrats! You hit "the ton." It'll probably take me a year at my present rate of posting.
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe--last of the iron-barrel Bullets.
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100--last of the carburetted Bonnies.
1974 Norton Commando Roadster--last of the "proper" right side shift Commandos.

kensar

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 11:59:18 am
Congrats on 100. Your bike looks just like mine!! Get one of the turn signal repeaters I have just fitted. They are great. See my post for info. Ken

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 02:51:09 pm
By the way, is it normal for the headlight to brighten and dim as the throttle is applied and relieved?

Thanks for the tip, kensar. I might look into one of those.

Jeff

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:44:14 am
A thing of beauty!
Congrats.
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 07:04:12 pm
Thanks! Yesterday I rode down to Floyd Bennet Field with Chuck D for some practice. We took the Beltway, which runs right next to the ocean, and boy was that a gorgeous ride. On the way down Ocean Parkway at 40 mph I felt a searing pain in my left thumb. Figured it was a kicked-up pebble or something but then looked to see a yellowjacket frantically pumping its butt into my thumb. It hurt like hell till I went to bed last night.

Jeff

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 07:18:13 pm
Looks great!

And yes, it is normal to see the headlight brighten and dim as the revs go up and down. This was always the old-school way of determining that your alternator was working.

Matt

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 07:19:40 pm
<SNIP> On the way down Ocean Parkway at 40 mph I felt a searing pain in my left thumb. Figured it was a kicked-up pebble or something but then looked to see a yellowjacket frantically pumping its butt into my thumb. It hurt like hell till I went to bed last night.

Jeff

It only stung you because you're an RE newBEE!

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 07:27:06 pm
Nice ride, Jeff. ;)   Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 07:39:55 pm
I don't know how this story fits but I'll just go with it. When I was a kid my family went on vacation to San Francisco. One day we were riding the trolley and had this cowboy driver who plunged us headlong down a steep hill at breakneck speed. The thing was rocking and shimmying all over the place (to be honest, it didn't feel safe at all). When he finally slowed us down at the bottom of the hill the stench of burning brakes was overwhelming, so this lady says to him, "Shouldn't you be worried about that?" His response: "No, it's when I DON'T smell 'em that I worry!"

Jeff

And yes, it is normal to see the headlight brighten and dim as the revs go up and down. This was always the old-school way of determining that your alternator was working.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 07:46:59 pm
Thanks! Yesterday I rode down to Floyd Bennet Field with Chuck D for some practice. We took the Beltway, which runs right next to the ocean, and boy was that a gorgeous ride. On the way down Ocean Parkway at 40 mph I felt a searing pain in my left thumb. Figured it was a kicked-up pebble or something but then looked to see a yellowjacket frantically pumping its butt into my thumb. It hurt like hell till I went to bed last night.

Jeff

Gloves are good,  in the rain and at night and they help dampen the vibrations.

Yellowjackets are evil, ran over a nest with my tractor and got stung about 10 times.  Crap,  they sting and bite at the same time...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 10:02:46 pm
    That bike is a beauty all right. I don't know, I had a tough time choosing which colrol to get when I bought a 2007 Classic. I ended up getting the British "racing" green as I had admired that color ever since I first heard about the Indian/Enfields  quite some years ago. But I love the black,white and silver ones too. Maybe I need a fleet of these?

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 10:49:48 pm
Jeff, Beautiful bike, Congratulations!!!! I was wondering if you got the stock exhaust pipe and if so how you removed the baffle? Tony
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 12:47:26 am
Jeff:

Congrads on the 1st 100 & your beautiful ride.  8)

As you know, you can't out run yellow jackets  ;D

Recommend a good pair of gloves  8)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 01:17:33 am
Re gloves: I didn't like any of the motorcycling gloves I tried on at shops in my area, so right now I'm using an old pair of cycling gloves (as in pedal power). They work just fine, but the critter got me because they're open fingered.

Anyway, these grips are way too small for my large hands, so I need something fatter like the Bestons sold by our host.

Re exhaust: Can't help you with the stock silencer question. I purchased the 1950s style exhaust system through my dealer, who set it up on the bike and rejetted accordingly before I picked it up. It consists of a header pipe without the PAV and short, free-flow silencer that is VERY LOUD. It also has an aluminum heat-sink ring (sold seperately) where the header pipe attaches to the head. The 1950s silencer comes with a small baffle for the end of the pipe that you can simply bolt on. It was out when I picked up the bike, and on my first couple of rides it was so loud I could hear my own echo from the brownstones as I rode around my neighborhood. After the bike cooled that evening I installed the baffle and it's more civilized now, but still nice and loud.

Hope that helps.

Jeff