Author Topic: Primary drive - the Great Escape  (Read 10958 times)

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 05:05:24 am
Just an update on this old topic - one of many I'd forgotten that I'd started!

The bike was fixed and ready to go around the end of September 2016, just as I was moving house. The only thing I had to pay for was the engine oil, since RE don't pay for that. Given that the bike & engine were hardly stock I didn't mind, since I know that independent mechanic made sure RE UK asked no awkward questions. However, my see-through push-rod window got sent back on the old engine! :(

Since then I've done a total of 90 miles on it. I'm now in the process of getting a load of mods completed so that it's how I want it.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 08:43:57 am
Did you or RE  positively  identify the cause ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:48:56 am by Jako »
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 09:22:21 pm
No the root cause, no. I just got shot of the bike. It went bang on Sunday, was collected on Monday. And I rode home on a new bike (Hyosung GD250R) on Thursday. Retrieved bike 2 months later with intent to do up and sell, but haven't got round to it yet.

adamzworld

• Neophyte
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 02:38:17 pm
Hi Gavin, I appreciate that this happened a few years back, but I've had exactly the same thing happen to my bike. Can I ask when they replaced the engine under warranty, did they say anything about the air filter mod you've done to your bike? I've done something similar and removed the air box replacing it with a cone filter so I just wondered whether they mentioned it at all? Also did you have to take the bike to an approved RE service centre or could you choose where you had the work done?

Thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:41:25 pm by adamzworld »

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 08:27:14 am
Hi Gavin, I appreciate that this happened a few years back, but I've had exactly the same thing happen to my bike. Can I ask when they replaced the engine under warranty, did they say anything about the air filter mod you've done to your bike? I've done something similar and removed the air box replacing it with a cone filter so I just wondered whether they mentioned it at all? Also did you have to take the bike to an approved RE service centre or could you choose where you had the work done?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry for the VERY late reply. Don't come on here often. Haven't touched the bike in a year or two. I took mine to an independent but approved RE dealer in Taunton. Most RE dealers are owned by the importer, and hence have a vested interest in not paying out. My independent RE dealer (key point being that he's approved) didn't mind the mods, as it wasn't his money! :-) Hope it all got sorted. They should fix it anyway, as there is no way an airbox mod would make a primary chain snap!

kelsoo

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: July 10, 2022, 04:53:38 pm
I recently started getting a horrid clattering when starting both on the button and kick. I thought the perhaps it was the sprag clutch  as it was quiet when running. Anyway I popped the case off today and the bolt and washer for the primary sprocket fell out in to the oil pan.

Check that bolt folks.
Not sure of the torque settings but its getting locktight before it goes back in.
2018 535 Continental GT
2006 Ducati Multistrada 1000s DS
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
early US import Kawasaki z550LTD (Bobber)
1984 Honda VF500FII
1995 Moto Guzzi NTX 750 (XPA police bike version)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #21 on: July 10, 2022, 05:01:45 pm
Wow. Good thing you caught it before it got catastrophic.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 10, 2022, 07:47:25 pm
Torque is 48 Nm but there is an important point. On a new bolt there is some red stuff in the thread which is probably meant to provide some sort of lock but not as strong as Loctite red or blue.

This kind of thing : https://threebond-europe.com/technical/seminars-adhesives/pre-coated-bolts/

I replace this bolt for a new one any time I remove it (which is quite often recently  ::) )

Same thing for any nyloc nut inside the engine (clutch, magneto rotor...)

kelsoo

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: July 10, 2022, 10:35:29 pm
Well I to a close look at the bolt and couldn't see any signs of thread lock of any colour. 
I put locktight on it and reassembled and blow me if it's still clattering so I suspect the sprag clutch is away.
No doubt it would contribute to the bolt coming loose
Very disappointing on a less than 4000 mile bike.

Some good news though I fitted a 650 interceptor tank (Ravishing Red) a bit of a fiddle parts wise but I love the traditional look with flat bars flat seat and leather panniers. I'll post the mods in a new thread when I've got it up n running.

2018 535 Continental GT
2006 Ducati Multistrada 1000s DS
1998 Aprilia Pegaso 650
1985 Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
early US import Kawasaki z550LTD (Bobber)
1984 Honda VF500FII
1995 Moto Guzzi NTX 750 (XPA police bike version)

JerryGT

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 01:06:35 pm
I am firmly convinced that the cause of this fatal engine damages lies in a chain tensioner that is far too tight, in connection with an inferior and weak primary chain.
In addition, the chain tensioner is often installed the wrong way and presses the tensioning plate crookedly onto the chain. The embossed lettering must point towards the center of the engine.

Wrong:
https://www.royal-enfield-forum.de/extimages/up.picr.de/35845519sq.jpg

Right:
https://www.royal-enfield-forum.de/extimages/up.picr.de/35846224nm.jpg

In this example, the deviation is not very large, there are some cases where the spanner is about to slip off any moment.

Also, I bet at least every second GT drives around with a loose primary sprocket bolt and/or clutch basket nut.
Teaching a pig how to fly is counterproductive and most of the time it results in a pissed-off pig.

Continental GT 535

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #25 on: July 12, 2022, 03:26:15 pm
I am firmly convinced that the cause of this fatal engine damages lies in a chain tensioner that is far too tight, in connection with an inferior and weak primary chain.

I think you're right, and it's why I removed the spring from the tensioner in my engine. It doesn't seem to have changed tension since I did it a few years ago. Idk how many kms, but its some.

The tensioner orientation, my bike I can only get it in one way because the lower frame tube is in the way but other people have different experience.

But on the bright side, looks like mine's the right way around.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E