Author Topic: Primary drive - the Great Escape  (Read 10956 times)

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
on: July 03, 2016, 05:51:37 pm
Oh dear oh dear. Let's hope the warranty covers this. Damned if I'm accepting 'parts only' bullshit.

Otto_Ing

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 05:57:51 pm
Same thing happend recently on an another RE forum. It really would be great to find out what caused this. I would like to replace the thing beforehand.

Good Luck with the warranty claim, it should be pretty obvious imo.

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 06:21:15 pm
Same thing happend recently on an another RE forum. It really would be great to find out what caused this. I would like to replace the thing beforehand.

Good Luck with the warranty claim, it should be pretty obvious imo.

You'd hope you wouldn't you? I have a horrible suspicion that the UK warranty is 12 months parts & labour, then 12 month parts-only.

All the bits are still inside, so should be able to see what's-what later. For reference, the bike had done about 9000 miles, and had covered about 3,000 since the last service.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 06:48:32 pm
Oh dear oh dear. Let's hope the warranty covers this. Damned if I'm accepting 'parts only' bullshit.

Yeeeeeshh !!!    Gavin, peer into that hole and see if the bolt that holds the sprag gear on the end of the shaft is in place.

I'm thinking if it is not ?   It spun out like we have seen before, and maybe got caught between the gear and the chain... snapping it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:11:12 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 09:39:25 pm
OMG :o :-\ >:(

That is just horrendous.....they should cover this.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 10:13:16 pm
Thankfully you weren't hurt. Could have been a chain tensioner that overtightened the chain (happens), a piece of hardware that let loose or a bad chain.

Not sure that I understand the UK warranty. The US is and always has been 2 years - 24 months. Part of the difference is due to the fact that RE did not pay for labor or even parts in many countries. We always insisted that in the US it be done that way and we were unusual among distributors. Because we traditionally sold more bikes that the other countries we had a bit of a bigger lever. They really did not like me talking about it to the other distributors. Fortunately most state laws in the US also back that theory up.

We (CMW) always backed up the product regardless of whether RE covered us or not.  In fairness to RE they rarely denied legitimate claims. They would not have questioned this failure at all and I doubt they will now.  My guess is that you will get it covered in full and if not I would not accept no for an answer.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 11:32:16 pm
Wow that really sucks, Gavin. Good luck with the repairs.
Kevin, could you possibly expand on the chain overtightening thing? I had the primary cover off  a while back to sort an oil leak and noticed the tensioner is a lot like an oversized camchain tensioner: it tightens up but won't allow any slack at all. In a camchain's case it seems to cause premature wear on the  chain. TIA.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 05:13:02 pm
Wow that really sucks, Gavin. Good luck with the repairs.
Kevin, could you possibly expand on the chain overtightening thing? I had the primary cover off  a while back to sort an oil leak and noticed the tensioner is a lot like an oversized camchain tensioner: it tightens up but won't allow any slack at all. In a camchain's case it seems to cause premature wear on the  chain. TIA.

This might help a bit, plus it shows others what's we're talking about :)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 05:27:27 pm
The graphic shows exactly how the tensioner works. Also note that RE says that it requires no service there or in the primary which eliminates the "owner abuse" or lack of service excuse.
There have been cases of the tensioner overtightening. Not a lot in the US and to my knowledge not in recent models. The tensioner is a one way ratchet, but can be released if you go inside of the case.

The real question I guess is what actually caused the primary explosion, the tensioner may have nothing to do with it. Thankfully the engine didn't lock up.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 05:37:31 pm
Chain is off the engine sprocket so I would guess the cause is  with the clutch assembly and or a broken chain that balled up

Otto_Ing

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 03:43:00 pm
Gavin, could you have a look from beneath if the tensioner is assembled correct way round. It is supposed to be eccentric and can be assembled wrong way round, which could push the chain sideways maybe?

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 04:42:37 pm
Gavin, could you have a look from beneath if the tensioner is assembled correct way round. It is supposed to be eccentric and can be assembled wrong way round, which could push the chain sideways maybe?

They should have had the shaft and hole through the case shaped to prevent that.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

VanHalenMan

• Y̶e̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ WHITE is Faster
  • Bulleteer
  • 2015 Continental GT
Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 10:21:38 pm
This might help a bit, plus it shows others what's we're talking about :)

Where can I guy like me find this PDF guide thing you all seem to have! Share the wealth!
www.donewhenimdead.com
2015 Continental GT

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 10:50:56 pm
Jeez. My gut sayeth the damage done with so few miles deserves a new engine and some serious ass kissing from RE(with tongue). Holy crap, guys, this is some really scary detonation, considering most of us if not all ride this jewel 'In A Spirited Manner, From Time To Time'. I can see going out to riding over ones' head, but the chance of losing ones' life to a problem that never should have occurred. This needs to be addressed and rectified by RE immediately. Why not a recall?
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

L4V

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 03:31:52 am
Where can I guy like me find this PDF guide thing you all seem to have! Share the wealth!

I just looked in the funky "manual" that we bought from CMW and it's not in there.
OK, so you liked the soap, but never walk out of a public restroom smelling your fingers. 
~~~~~~~~~
1975 Yamaha DT400 (572 original miles)
1989 Yamaha TDR250
1999 BMW R1100S
2010 Suzuki DRZ400
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP
2013 Fiat Abarth
2014 Continental GT (Red)
etc.....