Author Topic: Your first ride on your new RE: How far did you go?  (Read 8021 times)

prof_stack

on: August 13, 2007, 11:03:53 pm
All right, guys:  Tomorrow I might bite the bullet (so to speak) at the dealership.  Before I go I'd like to hear how far your first ride was with brand new RE.

I am 60 miles away from the dealer, probably 70+ going non freeway.

Thanks for all replies.  I'll report what happens.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:24:32 am
Good news!   ;D  Let us know how it goes.

The break-in procedures outlined in the Owner's Manual limited me. I had to keep it at or below 40mph and not ride it for more than an hour at a stretch, for the first 300 miles. The next 300 mile interval increases both those parameters a little bit.

Matt

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 01:35:36 am
My dealer was only about 45 miles away, on a secondary highway, but it was still a long ride on a stiff bike. I kept to the slow lane, but I have to admit, I didn't ride at 40 mph. I askd about the breakin speed before I bought it and found out that what the factory recommends leans toward the safe side. Still, I never went more than 50. For the next several days, I stayed on side roads through residential neighborhoods.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:07:46 am
I would not recommend riding the bike from the dealer - I have ridden all of my life, and never ride the new bike home, I always get it delivered, or trailer it home. My reasoning is so that I can go over everything, at my pace, before I put my life onto the new, and strange to me machine - I want to know that is OK, everything is tight, and it will not fall apart on me. (I have had a jap bike fall apart with me on it.)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 04:32:29 am
I picked up my bike, took it home from the dealer (about 2 miles), read my owners manual, learned how to start it and where all the controls are. Then.......ran the crap out of it. Just let it warm up then rode it like a stolen horse........ almost 6000 miles later it still runs better than new and gets 100 mpg. Real the tips on Mototune.com to find out an alternate opinion on break-in. Works for me.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 04:49:00 am
    I know you can get from Olympia to Seattle (I think thats where you live??) via backroads, but I haven't done it. I keep hearing that the breakin on the Enfield is way more critical than the Japanese bikes. I bearing this in mind, I wouldn't ride it home. You could rent or borrow a pickup-even a little Toyota should do it.Or rent/borrow a trailer?
    You could do your test ride, and if you decide to get one, pick it up at a later date.Theres also the possibility that Vince could deliver it? Ask Vince if you could pick it up on a Sunday or Monday-maybe I could help you out.I live in Puyallup and have a Toyota pickup,loading ramp and tie downs.
    At any rate, I want a writeup here on how it goes Tuesday.The test ride, your impressions of the bike,what you think about the possibility of buying one and such.

Jon

Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

prof_stack

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 04:56:08 am
Thanks Jon, great advice.  Last year when I almost bought an Electra, Vince was willing to deliver it for a nominal fee (don't remember the amount). 

Just cleaned out the garage of 25 years of accumulated junk (Craigslist is amazing at getting rid of it) and the good wife thinks I did it to bring in the RE.  What's up with that?   ::)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 05:22:31 am
I picked up my bike, took it home from the dealer (about 2 miles), read my owners manual, learned how to start it and where all the controls are. Then.......ran the crap out of it. Just let it warm up then rode it like a stolen horse........ almost 6000 miles later it still runs better than new and gets 100 mpg. Real the tips on Mototune.com to find out an alternate opinion on break-in. Works for me.....Dew.
You were very lucky - I have seen the result of a badly broken in Royal Enfield, it is not pretty - it ran like a bad two stroke.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:00:20 pm
By now you probably have the bike at home and I hope all went well however you did it, and that you love your Bullet as much as I love mine!  I bought my bike as a nearly-new machine with 170 miles on the clock, from a dealer who had taken it in part-exchange for some lesser machine.  ;D  I brought it home on a trailer and I'm glad I did.  Over the next few days I did some local rides, never going more than a couple of miles from home and I began to realise why the original owner had decided it wasn't for him.........  The gearbox was really stiff.  After about 5 miles it was hurting my foot to pull the lever up.  After my first 10 mile ride I couldn't move it with my foot at all, and had to coast to a standstill with the clutch in, lean down and pull the lever into neutral with my hand.  The reason - there was no lubricant in the gearbox. Luckily this problem manifested itself half a mile from home.  If I had tried to ride  the bike home from the seller I could have done some serious damage. 

Tom
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:02:43 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

prof_stack

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 07:46:23 pm
By now you probably have the bike at home and I hope all went well however you did it, and that you love your Bullet as much as I love mine!  Tom
Tom, I didn't buy the Sixty-5 because I really want an Electra, but none was there to buy.  So I'm most likely going to order a 2008 model.  It was a really nice ride.  That solo seat is impressive.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 02:30:47 am
MMkay, I went to   Mototune.com  & didnt see anything related to engine break in. Would you mind posting the address to the exact page you are referring to?

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 03:51:49 am
I know you can get from Olympia to Seattle (I think thats where you live??) via backroads, but I haven't done it.
Jon   

Getting around/through Ft. Lewis is the tough part.  The only ways I know are either I-5 (NOT Bullet friendly speeds) or the route out to Yelm and then up to Spanaway, but the stretch between them is all 50 mph.  Anyone know of a way thats more 40mph friendly?

Eamon
Eamon

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 05:51:48 am
Shame I ever left Washington.. I would have happily come and done the hauling for you, just for something to do. :)  I have missed Washington since a week after I left, and will return just as soon as I can do the realty swap thing.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 10:46:17 am
Tom, I didn't buy the Sixty-5 because I really want an Electra, but none was there to buy.  So I'm most likely going to order a 2008 model.  It was a really nice ride.  That solo seat is impressive.

Ah - now you've had a test ride, the Bullet will have bitten you!  Keep looking, Prof.  It took a little time before I found the one that I thought was for me.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.