HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

At the big tree, McBaine, MO

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2016, 05:29:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your first ride on your new RE: How far did you go?  (Read 3198 times)

prof_stack

Your first ride on your new RE: How far did you go?
« on: August 13, 2007, 05:03:53 pm »
All right, guys:  Tomorrow I might bite the bullet (so to speak) at the dealership.  Before I go I'd like to hear how far your first ride was with brand new RE.

I am 60 miles away from the dealer, probably 70+ going non freeway.

Thanks for all replies.  I'll report what happens.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Re: Your first ride on your new RE: How far did you go?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 06:24:32 pm »
Good news!   ;D  Let us know how it goes.

The break-in procedures outlined in the Owner's Manual limited me. I had to keep it at or below 40mph and not ride it for more than an hour at a stretch, for the first 300 miles. The next 300 mile interval increases both those parameters a little bit.

Matt

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 07:35:36 pm »
My dealer was only about 45 miles away, on a secondary highway, but it was still a long ride on a stiff bike. I kept to the slow lane, but I have to admit, I didn't ride at 40 mph. I askd about the breakin speed before I bought it and found out that what the factory recommends leans toward the safe side. Still, I never went more than 50. For the next several days, I stayed on side roads through residential neighborhoods.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 09:07:46 pm »
I would not recommend riding the bike from the dealer - I have ridden all of my life, and never ride the new bike home, I always get it delivered, or trailer it home. My reasoning is so that I can go over everything, at my pace, before I put my life onto the new, and strange to me machine - I want to know that is OK, everything is tight, and it will not fall apart on me. (I have had a jap bike fall apart with me on it.)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:32:29 pm »
I picked up my bike, took it home from the dealer (about 2 miles), read my owners manual, learned how to start it and where all the controls are. Then.......ran the crap out of it. Just let it warm up then rode it like a stolen horse........ almost 6000 miles later it still runs better than new and gets 100 mpg. Real the tips on Mototune.com to find out an alternate opinion on break-in. Works for me.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:49:00 pm »
    I know you can get from Olympia to Seattle (I think thats where you live??) via backroads, but I haven't done it. I keep hearing that the breakin on the Enfield is way more critical than the Japanese bikes. I bearing this in mind, I wouldn't ride it home. You could rent or borrow a pickup-even a little Toyota should do it.Or rent/borrow a trailer?
    You could do your test ride, and if you decide to get one, pick it up at a later date.Theres also the possibility that Vince could deliver it? Ask Vince if you could pick it up on a Sunday or Monday-maybe I could help you out.I live in Puyallup and have a Toyota pickup,loading ramp and tie downs.
    At any rate, I want a writeup here on how it goes Tuesday.The test ride, your impressions of the bike,what you think about the possibility of buying one and such.

Jon

Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

prof_stack

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 10:56:08 pm »
Thanks Jon, great advice.  Last year when I almost bought an Electra, Vince was willing to deliver it for a nominal fee (don't remember the amount). 

Just cleaned out the garage of 25 years of accumulated junk (Craigslist is amazing at getting rid of it) and the good wife thinks I did it to bring in the RE.  What's up with that?   ::)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 11:22:31 pm »
I picked up my bike, took it home from the dealer (about 2 miles), read my owners manual, learned how to start it and where all the controls are. Then.......ran the crap out of it. Just let it warm up then rode it like a stolen horse........ almost 6000 miles later it still runs better than new and gets 100 mpg. Real the tips on Mototune.com to find out an alternate opinion on break-in. Works for me.....Dew.
You were very lucky - I have seen the result of a badly broken in Royal Enfield, it is not pretty - it ran like a bad two stroke.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 03:00:20 pm »
By now you probably have the bike at home and I hope all went well however you did it, and that you love your Bullet as much as I love mine!  I bought my bike as a nearly-new machine with 170 miles on the clock, from a dealer who had taken it in part-exchange for some lesser machine.  ;D  I brought it home on a trailer and I'm glad I did.  Over the next few days I did some local rides, never going more than a couple of miles from home and I began to realise why the original owner had decided it wasn't for him.........  The gearbox was really stiff.  After about 5 miles it was hurting my foot to pull the lever up.  After my first 10 mile ride I couldn't move it with my foot at all, and had to coast to a standstill with the clutch in, lean down and pull the lever into neutral with my hand.  The reason - there was no lubricant in the gearbox. Luckily this problem manifested itself half a mile from home.  If I had tried to ride  the bike home from the seller I could have done some serious damage. 

Tom
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 03:02:43 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

prof_stack

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 01:46:23 pm »
By now you probably have the bike at home and I hope all went well however you did it, and that you love your Bullet as much as I love mine!  Tom
Tom, I didn't buy the Sixty-5 because I really want an Electra, but none was there to buy.  So I'm most likely going to order a 2008 model.  It was a really nice ride.  That solo seat is impressive.

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:30:47 pm »
MMkay, I went to   Mototune.com  & didnt see anything related to engine break in. Would you mind posting the address to the exact page you are referring to?

Eamon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 09:51:49 pm »
I know you can get from Olympia to Seattle (I think thats where you live??) via backroads, but I haven't done it.
Jon   

Getting around/through Ft. Lewis is the tough part.  The only ways I know are either I-5 (NOT Bullet friendly speeds) or the route out to Yelm and then up to Spanaway, but the stretch between them is all 50 mph.  Anyone know of a way thats more 40mph friendly?

Eamon
Eamon in Seattle
2006 Bullet 500 Deluxe
http://www.sterlingloons.com

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 11:51:48 pm »
Shame I ever left Washington.. I would have happily come and done the hauling for you, just for something to do. :)  I have missed Washington since a week after I left, and will return just as soon as I can do the realty swap thing.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 04:46:17 am »
Tom, I didn't buy the Sixty-5 because I really want an Electra, but none was there to buy.  So I'm most likely going to order a 2008 model.  It was a really nice ride.  That solo seat is impressive.

Ah - now you've had a test ride, the Bullet will have bitten you!  Keep looking, Prof.  It took a little time before I found the one that I thought was for me.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.