Author Topic: carb cap seal adhesive?  (Read 3639 times)

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
on: June 11, 2016, 03:09:13 pm
Hello Gearheads.
 i guess i've had that carb off so many times the rubber seal under the cap has come loose. And its getting hung up on the spring. I can see where it had four little dabs of adhesive holding it in place, from the factory. I was going to glue it back with either clear RTV silicone or permatex ultra black.
 i would like to know which of those would be a better choice. Whatever Mikuni used looks clear .   
 Thanks.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 03:18:23 pm
Which carb are you using? The stock Mikarb has only an o-ring. Should not have any sealant/adhesive from factory.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 03:32:40 pm
 this is a mikuni vm32, not the mikcarb.
 Have a nice day.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 04:08:29 pm
this is a mikuni vm32, not the mikcarb.

That helps. Whatever adhesive that will hold with the use of gasoline. Looks like you either fix by re-adhering it or you purchase a new cap. That Permatex Permashield looks like there only product that might work.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 04:26:27 pm
     Gasgacinch. It works great on carb float bowl and anything around gas, and it does not stick so bad you tear things taking them apart. Lightly coat one side. Let air dry for a few minutes, then press on while still tacky.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 06:11:04 pm
I found gasgacinch on Amazon and a permatex high tack sealer popped up. they both say they resist gas...  I'm going to get some gasgacinch to keep around for stuff like this.
 Thanks guys.
 Have a nice day.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 06:26:33 pm
I believe it's just a flat rubber ring. Cut a section of old inner tube and make a new one, or just use a piece of cardboard from the backer of a notebook. Or an autoparts store has rolls of thick gasket material and cut a ring. Don't get hung up on the material needing to be exactly the same, all youre doing is sealing the cap to the body to prevent air being drawn through. The Mikuni tm uses a paper type gasket. Don't go using goopy stuff!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 07:04:26 pm
Almost none of the silicone RTV's resist gasoline.

Permatex 85420 Permashield Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing & Sealant or Hylomar Universal Blue Sealant are fuel resistant.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 08:57:36 am
 Gaskacinch is gas resistant and fantastic if you want to take it apart later and without tearing the gasket. Use Seal-All is gas resistant also gear oil resistant. Use it if you want the thing stuck on for eternity.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 12:08:52 am
There is a product called "Seal All". It can be found at most hardware stores and believe it or not Dollar General. It will seal gasoline. I have seen my dad spread it on cardboard and stick it to a leaking fuel tank and stop the leak. I always keep a tube in my shop. Hell even found it on Amazon! https://www.amazon.com/Seal-All-380011-Seal-All%C2%AE-oz-Adhesive/dp/B0000AXYZG