Author Topic: Royal Enfield 600cc Twin?  (Read 28952 times)

2014BulletC5

• Scooter
on: May 31, 2016, 03:51:39 pm
Rumors have been going around on this for awhile but it looks like we might actually be seeing some "unofficial" confirmation:

https://www.motorbeam.com/2016/03/bikes/royal-enfield-bikes/new-royal-enfield-600cc-bike-launch-in-2017/

http://www.shifting-gears.com/2016/03/28/600cc-royal-enfield-launching-in-2017/
Royal Enfield!  3/4 Ton Up!

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:59:56 pm
That'd be nice, hope it's a parallel twin with pushrods, not a v-twin with a timing chain. Maybe it'll have a 360 deg crank & not a 270...but hey, whatever it turns out to be, I'll be looking @ it close with hopes of having one, carb OR fuel injected.
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 05:26:52 pm
Don't get too high expectations.
RE isn't known to make much power.

Just because it's a twin doesn't mean it can do what every one wants it to do..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 05:30:34 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 06:14:00 pm
Don't get too high expectations.
RE isn't known to make much power.

Just because it's a twin doesn't mean it can do what every one wants it to do..

Well hopefully taking the development process away from India and to the UK, where the words motorcycle and performance are not mutually exclusive, that historic stigma will be broken, or at least bent.

I just hope whatever it is won't just get bolted into an existing chassis, but given a fresh design.

After all, it's not just named Harris, but Harris Performance.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

2014BulletC5

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:29:54 pm
Well hopefully taking the development process away from India and to the UK, where the words motorcycle and performance are not mutually exclusive, that historic stigma will be broken, or at least bent.

I just hope whatever it is won't just get bolted into an existing chassis, but given a fresh design.

Wasn't HP the design force behind the CGT?  I'm assuming whatever this little twin is it'll be used in a modified CGT frame.

Hopefully they won't stray too far from the classic Bullet look...
Royal Enfield!  3/4 Ton Up!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 08:43:37 pm
Harris does frames and rolling chassis work.

I expect that the new twin will bolt into the existing frame(s). I have read in some article that the buyer will be able to buy the bike with his selection of engine, twin or single.

Especially with a twin at 600 or 650cc, it is entirely possible that the 535 single will be faster than the twin.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Otto_Ing

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 09:00:05 pm
I make an bold bet that they come out first with a 610cc single OHC engine.

If they do a twin with 2 of those Himalayan cylinders and 610cc, then we are looking at something like 36hp...at the crank.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 01:05:31 am
A direct quote from the motorbeam article:

One of the most aggressive brands in the two-wheeler arena currently is Royal Enfield. Riding on the growing sales and improving perception of people towards their motorcycles, the Chennai based automaker is planning the next big move.

So, RE is an automaker now?  :-X

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 01:53:31 am
Somehow automobile is synonymous with motorcycle in India.  Maybe only in certain contexts, but I've seen it alot.

BTW, my dealer (yes, a Triumph dealer selling RE) swears the twin is a 750 FWIW.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 02:47:46 am
 In addition to the brains at Harris performance RE headhunted Pierre Terblance formerly of Ducatti, James Young and Simon Warburton from Triumph, Mark Wells and Ian Wride from Xenphyia.

That is a lot of talent under one roof.

In standard trim the parallel twin may be tuned down to a predetermined performance level for insurance or emissions reasons. It shouldn't take too much to undo any stifling done to appease the regulatory bureaucrats.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:41:48 am
Somehow automobile is synonymous with motorcycle in India.  Maybe only in certain contexts, but I've seen it alot.

Well, there you go then...

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 03:32:53 pm

I hope they bolt a 650 twin into the GT chassis.  I think the chassis would be a perfect fit. I bet there will be overhead cams though.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 02:37:49 am
It looks a lot like a Royal Enfield Thunderbird.

Unfortunately it is using the single downtube frame rather than the new CGT frame.

I also have to wonder if 600cc is going to do the job?

RE has a history of making less horsepower than most modern motorcycles get out of their engines and in the USA on the open roads, horsepower is needed.

I'm not talking about 70 horsepower out of a 600cc engine but at least 55 would be required to cruise along with the cages at 75-80 mph on the interstates.

These 250 hp cages don't slow down on the uphill sections of the roads here so the engine has to have some extra power for these conditions.

On a positive note, I do like vertical twins like the one in the picture shows. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 06:05:34 am
 Artists rendering.
No matter where you go, there, you are.