Author Topic: Latest News from RENA  (Read 37074 times)

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: June 22, 2016, 06:08:01 pm
For some reason, a twin has some kind of psychological allure. Not sure why.

If you look at the generally stated requirements in this thread, they are all met by modded versions of the various RE 500 single models, by Hitchcock, Ace, GHG and Scooter Bob, and probably others.
I know for a fact that a Fireball 535 will match a 1966 Interceptor 750 Mk1A twin in all performance aspects.

RE should be able to meet these requirements with all of their models from the factory.
I have a couple of questions about this.  And they are not in doubt of what you are saying...
So The well tuned single should be performing at the same level as the twin, would the twin offer any bennifit in reliability or longevity?

The other question I am wondering about is with the Billet head, would running it with an EPA friendly pipe and mapping still give an improvement over stock trim on the RE 500cc singles?

Just out of curiosity....

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #106 on: June 22, 2016, 08:29:52 pm
I have a couple of questions about this.  And they are not in doubt of what you are saying...
So The well tuned single should be performing at the same level as the twin, would the twin offer any bennifit in reliability or longevity?

The other question I am wondering about is with the Billet head, would running it with an EPA friendly pipe and mapping still give an improvement over stock trim on the RE 500cc singles?

Just out of curiosity....
The larger engine would be able to be modified to a higher maximum state than the smaller engine. Longevity may or may not be better. We have seen 50k miles out of a Foreball Iron Barrel 535.

Yes, the billet head should do everything better than stock, even with EPA gear on it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: June 22, 2016, 09:20:10 pm
The larger engine would be able to be modified to a higher maximum state than the smaller engine. Longevity may or may not be better. We have seen 50k miles out of a Foreball Iron Barrel 535.

Yes, the billet head should do everything better than stock, even with EPA gear on it.

Thanks for answering....I don't have any intentions of putting all that crap back on the bike, but was curious.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #108 on: June 22, 2016, 11:16:52 pm
~ The well tuned single should be performing at the same level as the twin, would the twin offer any bennifit in reliability or longevity? ~

Cost.
 In general the price of twin new or used is generally lower than a similar single plus mods to it to match the performance of the twin.

There are many variables than can and will tip the numbers one way or the other, sometimes unbelievably so. Each situation is unique in that aspect.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #109 on: June 22, 2016, 11:48:27 pm
Cost.
 In general the price of twin new or used is generally lower than a similar single plus mods to it to match the performance of the twin.

There are many variables than can and will tip the numbers one way or the other, sometimes unbelievably so. Each situation is unique in that aspect.

My point is that if the factory did it in production, then the cost would not include the need to be modified, and all economies of scale would apply.
The single would then have a much wider range of applicability to the so-called "first world" markets, and perhaps a twin might not even be needed in the mid-displacement category.
The only reason we mod them is to overcome the factory shortcomings. If they did what was wanted, we wouldn't need to mod them.

Otto_Ing

Reply #110 on: June 23, 2016, 05:36:41 am
If one looks at the racing history singles were competitive with twins for a long time up to the point where the twin would be able to access much higher rpms because of the shorter strokes and lighter pistons.

IMO if we are talking about rpm limits of 6000rpm the single can be made more or less equally powerful as a twin for a much lower cost. Additionally fuel economy is likely to be better in a single.

ACE is correct, all mods included in the billet head and intake/exhaust would pose no added cost if they came directly in the factory package at a reasonable volume which makes volume production methods feasible.

The twin although it undeniably stimulates desire could turn into a shot in the foot from the business point of view. Making a performance single would be less risky, costly and would achieve the same technical targets. JMHO
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:04:53 am by oTTo »

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #111 on: June 23, 2016, 02:09:22 pm
 Here's the figures for the Honda NC750 twin

Performance
Max power   54 bhp
Max torque   50 ft-lb
Top speed   125 mph
1/4-mile acceleration   -
Average fuel consumption   70 mpg
Tank range   210 miles.

If there was ever a true definition for the word bland, this bike meets all the criteria. I've put a few hundred miles on one, it handles, stops, and runs well and performance is probably similar to a decent T140 Triumph. And they sell.
My point is that adequate performance is attainable with all the current emission standards, from a relatively low stressed twin. The 125mph top speed is a bit optimistic, but the bike will sit quite happy all day at 85/90.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: June 23, 2016, 02:49:29 pm
One advantage of an improved big single street bike is that market competition would be much less than trying to sell another 500-900cc twin.  By the time RE hits the market with their twin, you will have to wade through several dozen other (more established outside India) brands' twins to get to the RE.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: June 23, 2016, 03:49:40 pm
Here's the figures for the Honda NC750 twin

Performance
Max power   54 bhp
Max torque   50 ft-lb
Top speed   125 mph
1/4-mile acceleration   -
Average fuel consumption   70 mpg
Tank range   210 miles.

If there was ever a true definition for the word bland, this bike meets all the criteria. I've put a few hundred miles on one, it handles, stops, and runs well and performance is probably similar to a decent T140 Triumph. And they sell.
My point is that adequate performance is attainable with all the current emission standards, from a relatively low stressed twin. The 125mph top speed is a bit optimistic, but the bike will sit quite happy all day at 85/90.

Clearly, it is attainable very easily with a bigger twin.
No argument about it being possible.

When it comes time to buy 2 catalytic mufflers, 2 throttle bodies , 2 pistons, 2 rods, bigger crank,  more bearings, multiple castings, etc,  that is going to add up the cost considerably. Not to mention that it will also add some 50-100 pounds of weight.

It will need that added power to just overcome the extra weight. That's one reason why the smaller single can keep up with somewhat less power.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: June 24, 2016, 01:07:59 am
One problem with a performance single.

It's from 1-3 cylinders away from being sexy to the average rider.

We just happen to be above average.

One point I'd like to make is that if the Indian buyers aren't asking for more performance (hell, from things I've read, a lot of homeland riders are afraid of the front brake), how can we expect higher performance from RE, just because we can "handle it"?
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #115 on: June 24, 2016, 01:10:28 am
 Somehow I highly doubt RE's twin will be a cutting edge high tech design liquid cooled with ABS and swaddled in plastic body panels.

Simple and effective. It's what they make. It's what they sell.
It's what sets them apart from the almostalikes.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #116 on: June 24, 2016, 02:06:42 am
One problem with a performance single.

It's from 1-3 cylinders away from being sexy to the average rider.

We just happen to be above average.

One point I'd like to make is that if the Indian buyers aren't asking for more performance (hell, from things I've read, a lot of homeland riders are afraid of the front brake), how can we expect higher performance from RE, just because we can "handle it"?
It's funny you mention that.  I have an Indian friend, who had my family and me over for a kid's birthday party.  While there, I met another Indian friend of his who rides a R6.  He was telling me that the people back in his families village always talk about how the R6 was way to big of a machine to ride.  The 600cc bikes are just crazy in their perception.  while I recognize a 600cc sportbike is a powerful machine, and can be too much machine for many riders.  It shows a little insight to what you are saying....just a little bit...... ;)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #117 on: June 24, 2016, 04:39:33 am
Even looking back down the track with my binoculars I can't see where we got off the track in this topic.

I thought the subject is, "Latest News from RENA".

Not what should a Royal Enfield Twin or Triple or Four look like.

I know.  I'm being grumpy but I really do want to hear how RENA is handling the issues with setting up the company here in the United States and we have maybe a half a dozen other topics about the new multi-cylinder RE's and what they should be.   ::)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #118 on: October 12, 2016, 04:01:45 am
I think this qualifies as latest (October 6th) news from RENA;

In an interview by "LA Motorcyclist" with Ron Copes (found on the RENA facebook page), Mr Copes states;

"And in response to North America’s desire for larger displacement bikes, the company is currently expanding its 250 – 750 cc segment with two to three new platforms (chassis and engines), with product development being centered out of Leicestershire, UK."

“We want to kick start the mid-weight motorcycle industry for a whole new generation,” Copes says. “There are target audiences like millennials, but also we’re looking at the older gentlemen who used to ride a Royal Enfield in the ‘60s. We’re not all things to all people, but we are attracting a variety of bikers, even Harley Davidson owners wanting a second bike.”

He also talks of keeping the designs of all their bikes simple so that the buyer can do his own repairs.

:oExpanding it's 250-750cc segment with two to three new platforms (chassis and engines) :o

http://lamotorcyclist.com/single-news011_2016.html#sthash.1nCDPQYL.FDM7MgOZ.dpbs

Those guys at the new British facility must be up to something... ::)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:05:25 am by Narada »
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #119 on: October 28, 2016, 05:30:14 am
I saw on the RENA facebook page today that as of Monday the 24th there is a new Royal Enfield dealer in Oakland CA, and a couple of others. 

The Seattle dealer said they've been selling like crazy since he got the brand.  He couldn't be happier.  He also said the parts system has improved considerably in the last few months.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.