Author Topic: 18t sprocket is installed, here is my after action review  (Read 1913 times)

sopwithdriver

• Skill Junkie
  • Bulleteer
  • always like to keep my audience riveted!
on: September 02, 2008, 01:13:53 am
Got up at 6am, made some coffee and decided to rip the guts out of the left side and put that sprocket in that has been staring at me from my work bench since the first of summer. Let me start with saying I am no mechanic but I am always up for learning a new task and this one seemed to have the makings of some quality shop time(which I love). I don't have alot of wrenching experience, just enough to really botch stuff up, but enthusiasm and doggedness goes a long way.

I cleared some space and set up a clean area for the parts that were sure to accumulate. First I pulled the stator and then the clutch plates. Simple 'nuf. Then I went to pull the rotor. Problem one, how do I stop the motor form turning while I get the damn nut off. Didn't want to jam up the rear end and the kids sitting on the back weren't heavy enough to stop the tire from slipping on the garage floor. So I improvised and used an oil filter wrench with a strip of innertube. Viola, field-expedient rotor holder thingy. Encountered same issue with the clutch basket nut and used same (insert part name here) improvised holder thingy and got the clutch basket off. No pullers needed for either the front sprocket or the rear sprocket/clutch center. Lucky me.

Next came removing the back chain case. The manual says its held on by three countersunk allen head bolts which apparently were installed by king-freakin-kong. Had to break out the air-ratchet to break them free. The manual doesn't say jack about the chain adjuster bolt or the odd little one at the south end of the case but we persevered and figured that out.

A little bump and pull and its off. And there in all its glory is the @#$% sprocket. This diddy was not designed to be quickly swapped out for sure. A couple of taps with a punch and the big nut is loose and off. New sprocket on in less time than it took to make the coffee once it was exposed.  Went back together much smoother and hopefully correctly.  I buggered up the rubber grommet that seals off the wires from the alternator as they exit the rear case so I will have to get one of those before I button her up and test it out. All in all not too bad, 4 hours start to current state. I made some shims for the stator re installation and that looks pretty simple. Hope this helps someone contemplating taking on this task. Thanks to the guys who gave me the tips on this. Roger
Nah, It's supposed to sound like that.

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:33:13 am
Sopwithdriver, very helpful, it looks like all went smoothly. I was going to buy a  clutch hub puller etc. before attempting this. I think I' ll give it a try before I purchase any special tools. Thanks, cochi :)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:54:45 am
Sopwithdriver, very helpful, it looks like all went smoothly. I was going to buy a  clutch hub puller etc. before attempting this. I think I' ll give it a try before I purchase any special tools. Thanks, cochi :)

It's a crap shoot, on my 95 everything was pre-loosened from the factory and just slid off.
My 99 fought every attempt to disassemble it.
Haven't gotten into the 01 yet, but soon cuz that 17 gotta go after being used to 19s and 20s on the other bikes.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 02:54:00 am
I had more trouble with reassembly than disassembly.

Getting the nut on the countershaft sprocket tightened was no prob, but the nuts for the clutch basket and rotor were a bigger problem. I used a wedge of wood in between the primary chain and the sprockets to hold it whileIi tightened the nuts.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

sopwithdriver

• Skill Junkie
  • Bulleteer
  • always like to keep my audience riveted!
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:07:01 am
Re: my lack of use of pullers, like I said, I got lucky. ;D Mine is an 06 so I was hedging that stuff wouldnt be too stuck, yet.
Nah, It's supposed to sound like that.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:29:43 pm
My 99 was a pain in da butt, but the real pain was the loss of performance. I weigh 235# and live in a very hilly area. w/ the 18Tooth, i had to shift all the time, sooo back on with the 17 for the power. By the way it was as much of a pain to reinstall, the oem sprocket, but went much faster !  ;D
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on