Author Topic: Cafe racers?  (Read 12681 times)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
on: May 17, 2016, 11:18:57 am
How did we get from pic. 1. To pic. 2.?

I can understand the need for higher bars to stop hipster beards from becoming entangled in the front wheel, but those tyres? A blast round the Hanger Lane Gyratory on a damp evening doesn't bare thinking about. :o
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:52:26 am
Just like we went from this:

To this:

What's the problem?  ::)  ;)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:49:25 pm
The earlier models served a purpose, work.
The later models serve a purpose, to be looked at. There was an interesting comparison on U.K. television where they took the latest crop of 4 x 4  handbags and put them through their paces, off road of course, they all got stuck. Then a series 2 Land Rover went past them all. As for the bikes, it's all about look at me syndrome, and being " cool "  . Handling? What's that?

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 01:47:59 pm
Here’s a local “café racer” for sale. :(

Oooh, what a pretty red rag!  How much for that bike?

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 09:29:55 pm
I had a couple of NYC Hypsters(pretending to be punks) invite themselves on an anual trip to Deals Gap.  First thing is they showed up with their bikes in the back of a truck and tried to tell me that they were all about the miles.  Second was they kept telling me how their Hondas and a bone stock XS650 were more cafe than mine.  I didn't really engage them in the conversation either. 

The leader of the annoying trio was a short little 'trustafarian' from Hawaii, who was one of those guys who thinks he's always right and being the loudest in an argument is how you win.  He started telling me what I would have to add to my bike to make it a real cafe racer.  Well, my bike ran from DC to Deals Gap and back without braking, while his didn't make it through the first day.  I kept telling him his battery was not good, but he wouldn't listen till we were stuck in the middle of the pass, while the rain began.  Such a poser....

Rant over

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 09:39:26 pm
But then a 21 year old whos now 23 built this, me. No beard though, just dirty hands and boots.

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 09:43:38 pm
But, are you a Hipster?????

Nice bike.  Do you have any side shots of it?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:46:15 pm by MeVoCGT »

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 09:45:32 pm
But then a 21 year old whos now 23 built this, me. No beard though, just dirty hands and boots.

Respect. 8)

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 09:49:38 pm
I always though a true Cafe was a bike you built yourself. Hopefully a single or twin, air cooled and as striped down as you could safely and legally get it. It was a street bike/boy racer, the truth of the matter is the RIDER was the Cafe Racer NOT the bike. They started in England at the Transit Cafes, ACE sound familiar?

AS far as the punk who knew it all, did you leave him?   
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 09:53:28 pm
Clip ons, rear sets, alloy tank and fenders, and for that " beardo" look to finish off the package. ::)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:00:11 pm by malky »

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 09:55:00 pm
I always though a true Cafe was a bike you built yourself. Hopefully a single or twin, air cooled and as striped down as you could safely and legally get it. It was a street bike/boy racer, the truth of the matter is the RIDER was the Cafe Racer NOT the bike. They started in England at the Transit Cafes, ACE sound familiar?

AS far as the punk who knew it all, did you leave him?   

Only when the road turned... He had more power than I did, but I had more experiance and seat time than he.  The next day, he was trying to show up the two guys in the front of the group once the road turned into a decided highway.  He tucked down and twisted the throttle and tried to pass them.  What he didn't notice was that they were doing the speed limit, do to the State trooper waiting up ahead to write somebody a ticket. ;)

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 09:58:01 pm
Clip ons, rear sets, alloy tank and fenders, and for that " beardo" look to Finnish off the package. ::)
Is that SNELL aproved?????

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 10:02:16 pm
I hope the hipsters don't eat up too many old Japanese bikes like this 1970's-era Honda 350 Scrambler that I saw this weekend before the fad dies out.   :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 10:07:46 pm
Is that SNELL aproved?????

Yes, when worn with this.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 01:31:09 am
The earlier models served a purpose, work.
The later models serve a purpose, to be looked at. There was an interesting comparison on U.K. television where they took the latest crop of 4 x 4  handbags and put them through their paces, off road of course, they all got stuck. Then a series 2 Land Rover went past them all. As for the bikes, it's all about look at me syndrome, and being " cool "  . Handling? What's that?
What kind of "handbags"? I've driven the latest Prado, Landcruiser, Patrol, Hilux, Pathfinder and others in pretty gnarly offroad. They are all very excellent 4x4's. I grew up driving an old Range Rover (the best thing off road back then) and the new crop of 4x4's are just as good (not Range Rovers though. They're a town car now). And last longer. I can see it if they are comparing X trails, Vitaras, Subaru XV type of stuff. But the real 4x4's are great. I've even been surprised how far an Amarok can be forced to go with a little cruelty.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:41:20 am by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E