Author Topic: exhaust  (Read 3552 times)

redsox57

• Neophyte
on: May 10, 2016, 01:05:34 am
Let me start by saying that I'm as green as it comes to motorcycles.  I just bought my first bike last summer (2015 classic 500).  My question is after replacing the stock exhaust do I need to do any tuning to the bike?  The dealer I got it from said that didn't but I want to make sure.  Thanks

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:36:46 am
Hi and welcome, redsox57!
   If all you've done is replace the stock torpedo with an after market one, you should be fine. No tuning required, unless you want to get something like the Power Commander or the EJK. You may notice some occasional popping from it until the ECU compensates, but that's about it.
   I replaced mine almost right away with a reverse megaphone. Much freer flowing than the 3 stage Cat, and I did get (IMHO) better response when I accelerate.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

redsox57

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:42:11 pm
Thank you for your help.  Also it's basically a straight pipe.  Does that matter?

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 10:50:44 am
   You should be good to go if that's all you're doing for now. You can also install a freer breathing filter like the ACE cannister or any of several offered by our host and still do fine, since the Keihin system will still handle the relatively minor Stage 1 changes.
   In the future you may wish to add in the latest Power Commander (great for more in-depth intake/exhaust mods) or perhaps an EJK kit if you want to keep it simple.
   This should be your "Go To" forum for any questions you may have about your RE. I'm still learning, too, and if it wasn't for this forum I never would have bought my 2012 C5.  ;D

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:05:31 am by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:12:45 pm
If you have just replaced the exhaust then the proof is in the pudding. If the bike runs okay after the swap then there is no need for any other change. The two typical problems rafter installing an aftermarket exhaust are popping on decelration and and a hesitation when opening the throttle to accelerate. If either of these manifest themselves, then something like the Power Commander or similar fuel enrichment device will be necessary to solve the issue.
Rocket

Jawajatt

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 05:02:21 pm
If you have just replaced the exhaust then the proof is in the pudding. If the bike runs okay after the swap then there is no need for any other change. The two typical problems rafter installing an aftermarket exhaust are popping on decelration and and a hesitation when opening the throttle to accelerate. If either of these manifest themselves, then something like the Power Commander or similar fuel enrichment device will be necessary to solve the issue.
Hi, I'm a new user & a noob when it comes motorcycle technicalities, if you may.
I'm thinking of decating & putting free flow or a less obstructive exhaust. Both issues after exhaust mods that you've mentioned, will they harm the engine life if one doesn't use fuelx, etc.?
Thanks

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 01:17:26 am
Not meant to be offensive ,honestly, but if you are new to bikes and don't really know what you are doing why do you want to start messing about with things you don't understand ,when these bikes are never going to be powerful anyway !  :)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 02:30:47 pm
Not meant to be offensive ,honestly, but if you are new to bikes and don't really know what you are doing why do you want to start messing about with things you don't understand ,when these bikes are never going to be powerful anyway !  :)

I changed my exhaust pipe to a shorter after-market version just so the end of the stock pipe on my Bullet wouldn't drag on my driveway approach to the public street.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 03:24:48 am
I changed my exhaust pipe to a shorter after-market version just so the end of the stock pipe on my Bullet wouldn't drag on my driveway approach to the public street.
Sounds fair enough  :)