Author Topic: Project "Abfangjaeger"  (Read 22773 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 05:47:17 pm
The longer mudguard carrier would suit a later Interceptor with the longer swinging arm, I understand.

Nice job with the top yoke/instrument panel repair. I had a damaged version of the same item which I cut back for a trials yoke. As it was in BETTER condition than the one you successfully repaired I should have let you have it!

The good news is that (somewhere) I have still have the mid-1960s Lucas light switch and the 41mm round steel insert for it that sits in the panel behind the main instruments. Would you like them?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 09:34:52 pm
Thanks Adrian, why not? I'll PN you my address.

The US-models should all have had the longer swinging arm and m.g.-carrier, as far as I know, although there are pictures with short ones?!
So long,
Andreas

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 12:37:43 pm
I could obtain a pair of cylinder barrels, one of them unluckily broke a fin during transit (got my money back though). So I prepared the broken fin and got some cast iron electrodes, but forgot to take along the grip, too - so it has to wait until I have that. :-[

What it says on the electrode box is promissing though (for those not familiar with German laguage, it says "Zylinder" in the purpose section of the description and you can guess what that is in English):

But I made some progress on the top yoke. After some sanding, filing and more sanding it looks pretty promissing:

Now it's up for glass blasting to be cleaned and after that sanded and polished. I hope the seams not to be seen that clearly as they are now. It's a big downside to using aluminium as different alloys have different colours.
So long,
Andreas

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 11:21:08 am
The fin is welded. Not as nice as I hoped it to be, especially the root (not as much penetration as it should have). Nevertheless it will do, if not it would already have fallen off while hammering ;)

The welding with those nickel-electrodes is really strange and not quite comparable with steel ones. Completely different behaviour. But it works and with some experiance it shouldn't be any harder to do than with "normal" electrodes.
So long,
Andreas

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 07:34:43 pm
The yoke is done, sanded and waiting to be polished:

Unfortunately, as expected the beads are still visible. Only hard to see on the picture, but clearly in real:

More tomorrow.
So long,
Andreas

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 11:28:34 am
Hurray! After polishing the seam is nearly invisible and probably will remain unseen for someone who doesn't know.
I hope it will stay this way ::)

Speedo and tacho where set in place just for the looks, but the bezels will need some attention ;)

So long,
Andreas

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 10:09:05 am
Wow, here hasn't happened a lot lately. So for some updates.

Here I have picture of what the Interceptor looked like some time ago. Furtunately I found a good tank, a toolbox, the lids and a repro-seat that I got for ~60$

On the picture there's still the Fury bottom yoke now used on the "Laubfrosch" and you can see how bent this was :o
I then found a pair of "fork ears". Though it's meant for the later MK1A, those will do fine for me, if I don't find the right ones:

Another fine catch for just about 70$ was this rev-counter that was lost for some time as USPS sent it to Barbados and lost tracking >:(

After sand blasting the left lid looked not so good after all. A lot of rust marks and some holes, that had to be welded:

While stripping the tank some of the original paint showd up:

The tank got a dent repair and sealed on the inside and then all was sent to the painter:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:22:58 am by grumbern »

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 10:40:40 am
The original paint and a sample piece look quite similar already!

Priming, filling, sanding...

And yet some more...

I am excited to see the first pictures with colour :)
Andreas

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 11:42:52 am
I am excited to see the first pictures with colour :)

Me, too!  Color really  feels like progress!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 02:33:40 pm
I then found a pair of "fork ears". Though it's meant for the later MK1A, those will do fine for me, if I don't find the right ones:

My Series 1 Interceptor long headlamp brackets (Hitchcock's reproductions) are sitting around in my garage with nothing to do since they came off Not A Fury, send me a private message if you think they would be better employed in Germany. I might have a home for your S1A items if they'll clean up OK.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 08:47:28 am
Hi Adrian,
do you have a picture? Those of the "Not a Fury" don't seem load.

Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 10:05:17 am
Certainly, here it is with Interceptor-type alloy top yoke.

These headlamp brackets (Hitchcocks' part numbers 47865/47866, currently out of stock!) have had very little use, though you would probably want to repaint them. They were originally powder coated, but when they got scratched I had to rub them down and repaint them by hand, not up to your standards. I will try and get you a picture of them on their own.

Meanwhile your short Interceptor headlamp brackets would work fine on my wife's RE project bike, which will be using a set of Electra-X disk brake forks with the alloy top yoke and fork gaiters instead of metal shrouds.

A.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 11:17:16 am
Hmmm, now that's a hard decition, as I was going for short ears and gaiters, but of course the older '65 version instead of the MK1A. Now the long shrouded ones give me another option... I'll have to think about it.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 12:26:17 pm
Well, if these were to be re-used on my wife's project bike, I'd have to shorten them to match yours. Seems such a shame to chop the ends off when you can't buy them any more...

Haven't tried emotional blackmail for a while, it might succeed.  >:D 

For every wrong set of headlamp brackets fitted to a Series 1 Interceptor restoration, a cute puppy dies. :'(

No, that needs a bit more work... ;D Your call, Andreas!

A.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 02:09:54 pm
Oh what the heck, screw the sportier look. Let's do it! For the puppies sake ;D
The left one is "perfect", the right one will need some small repairs. Nothing bad though.