aboard

Author Topic: Project "Abfangjaeger"  (Read 2644 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Adrian II

  • Grand Gearhead
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,217
  • Karma: 0
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 11:47:17 am
The longer mudguard carrier would suit a later Interceptor with the longer swinging arm, I understand.

Nice job with the top yoke/instrument panel repair. I had a damaged version of the same item which I cut back for a trials yoke. As it was in BETTER condition than the one you successfully repaired I should have let you have it!

The good news is that (somewhere) I have still have the mid-1960s Lucas light switch and the 41mm round steel insert for it that sits in the panel behind the main instruments. Would you like them?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...


grumbern

  • Grease Monkey
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
  • Karma: 0
Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 03:34:52 pm
Thanks Adrian, why not? I'll PN you my address.

The US-models should all have had the longer swinging arm and m.g.-carrier, as far as I know, although there are pictures with short ones?!
So long,
Andreas


grumbern

  • Grease Monkey
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
  • Karma: 0
Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 06:37:43 am
I could obtain a pair of cylinder barrels, one of them unluckily broke a fin during transit (got my money back though). So I prepared the broken fin and got some cast iron electrodes, but forgot to take along the grip, too - so it has to wait until I have that. :-[






What it says on the electrode box is promissing though (for those not familiar with German laguage, it says "Zylinder" in the purpose section of the description and you can guess what that is in English):




But I made some progress on the top yoke. After some sanding, filing and more sanding it looks pretty promissing:








Now it's up for glass blasting to be cleaned and after that sanded and polished. I hope the seams not to be seen that clearly as they are now. It's a big downside to using aluminium as different alloys have different colours.
So long,
Andreas


grumbern

  • Grease Monkey
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
  • Karma: 0
Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 05:21:08 am
The fin is welded. Not as nice as I hoped it to be, especially the root (not as much penetration as it should have). Nevertheless it will do, if not it would already have fallen off while hammering ;)




The welding with those nickel-electrodes is really strange and not quite comparable with steel ones. Completely different behaviour. But it works and with some experiance it shouldn't be any harder to do than with "normal" electrodes.
So long,
Andreas


grumbern

  • Grease Monkey
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
  • Karma: 0
Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 01:34:43 pm
The yoke is done, sanded and waiting to be polished:




Unfortunately, as expected the beads are still visible. Only hard to see on the picture, but clearly in real:




More tomorrow.
So long,
Andreas


grumbern

  • Grease Monkey
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
  • Karma: 0
Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 05:28:34 am
Hurray! After polishing the seam is nearly invisible and probably will remain unseen for someone who doesn't know.
I hope it will stay this way ::)

Speedo and tacho where set in place just for the looks, but the bezels will need some attention ;)








So long,
Andreas