Author Topic: Project "Abfangjaeger"  (Read 22771 times)

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 08, 2016, 12:22:40 pm
One possibility to spend your saturday morning, may be to drive outside the "Spessart" towards Tübingen and collect avon machinery.
Should be a 64 model, 750ccm, but not all parts are correct and of course not complete ;)

May she become a racer (after that didn't work with the Chief)!
Andreas

P.S.: Start of project might be at a later moment, due to some other projects... ::)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 04:46:57 pm
Glutton for punishment, nicht wahr?  ;D

Looking at that top yoke on those forks, it would be tempting have a good look at the engine and frame numbers...

http://www.royalenfields.com/2012/07/this-royal-enfield-vax-interceptor-is.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPp_kU9YLgw

OK, it is probably not a VAX Interceptor.

Yes, you could build a café racer, though I think the street scrambler lines of the export Series 1 model absolutely do justice to the bike. Something like that would compliment the Chief nicely.

Picture from ebay UK

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 09:55:29 pm
It's not a VAX, I checked that as soon as I saw it. The owner claimed it to be a 61, but from the engine and frame numbers its a 63. The yoke isn't correct for that year though (that's what made me think it was a VAX first, too). But it definitely is a 750.

We'll see, what it turns out to be like, but plans were to build a CR from the Chief, too, at first. But this one's gotta be blue, that's for sure!

Glutton for punishment, nicht wahr?  ;D

Well, that's what the seller said, or at least something like that ;D
Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:25:30 am
Let me know if you want a few Euros for that top yoke.  ;D

Hitchcock's have a used twin clock alloy yoke for the S1 at the moment which looks as though it will polish up OK. £110 + VAT and post, a new one is £210 + VAT and post.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/pictures/category8748/large/used1984.jpg

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:08:13 am
Has anyone got any idea, what exactly this bike is? I've been wondering for some time now and what makes me wonder is the fact, that it has the Fury yokes and a blanked rev counter terminal. Have there been versions without a rc? I am not sure, what I have here and if they changed these parts on the bike, or if they were original...

I guess RE made some small batches of any kind of configuration, as you can often see strange arrangements that don't appear on any chart. Has anyone any knowledge of anything similar to mine?

The seat and subframe aren't correct, as they were bought by the previous owner.
Thanks,
Andreas

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 12:10:58 pm
My guess is that the greatest likelihood is that it was built as bits and pieces from various bikes over the years. This accounts for the wide variety of parts.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 06:41:41 pm
In the words of Royce Creasey, you might have a "post-industry thoroughbred", if the term bitsa sounds a little harsh.  :)

A.

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 07:25:03 pm
The seat and rear hoop look to be from either a later MK1A or a Series 2.
from the info and parts searching I've done over the last year for my 1965 Mk1 rebuild, they could come with or without the rev counter.
 Welcome to the Interceptor Club!!

Damon
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor MK1
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 09:28:55 pm
"post-industry thoroughbred", that term I have to remember ;D

Damon, that's a piece of information that is very useful to me. So there would have been a kind of dummy instead of a rev counter? The subframe and seat are repros, bought by the preowner, as said, and therefore not the right ones ;)

I do have a frame for a Super Meteor/Constellation I guess. What exactly are the differences to the Interceptor? Are these longer?
Thanks,
Andreas

Damon

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 09:58:21 pm
I've not seen what might have been put in place of the Rev counter only the blanking plate, and my engine gasket set came with gaskets for the gearbox and the blanking plate.

Not sure the differences in the frames between the Interceptor and the Meteor/Constellation. I believe that the rear swing arm might have been shorter on the Connie and meteor then on the Mk1 Interceptor.
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
1956 BSA GoldStar DBD34GS Flat track racer
1971 Datsun 510 2-door sedan

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 12:01:22 am
According to, "Royal Enfield, The Postwar Models " by Roy Bacon, the Meteor (1952-1955), the Super Meteor (1955-1962), the Constellation (1958-1963) and Interceptor (1962-1968) had a 54 inch wheelbase.

The Interceptor Series II (1968-1970) and the Rickman (1970-1972) had a 57 inch wheelbase. (pp 167-169)

The book doesn't mention rake or trail so the differences could be due to that, the length of the trailing arm or an increase in the frame length.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 03:39:26 am
Damon, that's a piece of information that is very useful to me. So there would have been a kind of dummy instead of a rev counter?

There's a Bullet on ebay UK at the moment with a Series 1 style twin clock alloy top yoke and two speedometers fitted! ??? No, I don't know why either...

Or stay twin clock but add a 60's pattern Puca Smiths Electronic rev counter (I don't think that the Electra speedometer is too much of a mis-match):

Another alternative would of course be the Hitchcock's cafe racer alloy top yoke which is machined from the same casting but simply takes a switch (old-style light switch or ignition switch with adaptor plate), speedometer and ammeter).

And finally, if your Interceptor *is* a bit of a post industry thoroughbred, why not restore it as VAX Interceptor look-alike? Maximum points for style...

A.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 09:09:21 am
Well, we'll see what it turns out like. But definitely blue! ;D
And I'll only use genuine, or selfmade parts as far as possible. These 80s or 90s speedos just don't fit.

I do have a alloy top yoke, that still needs a little attention. whatever fits best ;)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 01:03:59 pm
I would have used the matching Puca Smiths electronic speedometer (based on the mid/late 60's design) instead of the Indian speedo, but a) it was getting rather expensive, and b) the wiring was already a lot more complicated than I would like. (It looks a bit tidier than this now!)

Given your excellent refurbishment of the Indian Chief speedometer I'm sure you could source and repair a couple of mid-sixties instruments, but the Puca Smiths instruments are a possible alternative for someone who has the money and who also has better wiring skills than I do.  ;D

http://www.puca.co/productGF.html

A.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 07:35:59 pm
Well, alittle progress has been made. Not much, but...

Started with a damaged "cockpit" that cost me a phonecall:

So I bent it back and filled the hole, using some Aluminum and rudimentary welding skills:

Some more welding and filing later:

Let's try it on. Got some genuine Smith's gauges, not RE but Triumph though:

A little more filing and sanding yet to do, then polish it.
Also got a maching mudguard carrier, notice the difference to the UK model:

So long,
Andreas