Author Topic: RE Military Video  (Read 2280 times)

Porkchop

• Scooter
on: August 31, 2008, 09:25:19 pm
Hey boys,
Porkchop here with some video of me and my two ladies on 'Olivia', My 07 Military. The ladies love going around the circle in front of our house. (well...I don't mind it either) Nothing better than sharing something fun like this with your kids. I remember when my dad would take me for a spin on his Goldwing. I thought I was the luckiest kid in the world. And I was.
Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT_3sPv2d7I
Cheers - Porkchop

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:27:12 am
Very cool
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 05:26:11 am
Great looking bike! Bet the kids love it.

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 05:31:06 am
Very nice.
I can't help but love the look of those Militarys.
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 06:40:06 pm
     I know that I am going to start a controversy here. Everything that I am about to relate comes from actual events that have happened to customers in my store. Riding children that small is a really bad idea. I know it is done in third world countries, but children get hurt. I have seen several children with burns and other injuries from this practice. With 2 children to hold on to you are really asking for trouble. One child slipped from Dad's hands and he ran over her with the rear wheel. She walked again in a year, sort of.  Another got his arm stuck between the head pipe and the engine when he fell. The arm will never re-grow the burned off muscle.
     I've seen a boy with part of his foot abraded off from getting  it stuck between the swing arm and the wheel. I have seen kids in a body cast from the parent trying to catch them as they fell off the tank, then losing control and dropping the bike on the kid.
     Yes, most of the time  every thing is OK. I know it's been done a million times, but I've seen too many one million and one times.  It's not worth it. Not for any kid. Not for my kid.  I mentioned this in another posting: WAIT until the child is big enough, strong enough and will listen well enough to ride properly with proper gear.
     How ever much fun your bike is, it is not a carnival ride. And life is not America's Funniest Home Video. Some times they don't get back up.

Porkchop

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 06:58:36 pm
Vince,
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on the posting. I really do take the comments to heart and I know that you are trying to provide honest, practical advice to all readers. No controversy started.
..This was posted (in hopes) that others had experiences like this growing up and might relate to it. Not exactly like this. Something like it with their Dad. This moment with my kids brought me back to time with my Dad. It was a good memory. Perhaps others got something out of it along the same lines.
For the record-  I am not endorsing any type of riding behavior, one way or another. And I really do appreciate the feedback from you, Vince. Perhaps I will never have my kids ride like that again because of it. But, for what it is, the moment was recorded and it makes me smile when I see it.
Again- I welcome the feedback. Thanks!
Cheers - PC
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 07:50:48 pm by Porkchop »

DireWolf

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 07:36:29 pm
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on the posting. I really do take the comments to heart and I know that you are trying to provide honest, practical advice to all readers. No controversy started. ...........

..............For the record-  I am not endorsing any type of riding behavior, one way or another. And I really do appreciate the feedback from you, Vince. Perhaps I will never have my kids ride like that again because of it. But, for what it is, the moment was recorded and it makes me smile when I see it.
Again- I welcome the feedback. Thanks!
Cheers - PC

Well handled.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 07:52:20 pm
Looks dangerous, period.....
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 08:48:27 pm
     Thank you for taking it in the spirit given. By third world I mean this: In places like Mexico or Viet Nam the bike is the family car. It is not unusual to see Dad. Mom, several kids and a bunch of gear or shopping bags on a Honda 90.  But their attitudes towards safety  and mortality are different. From what I understand, a certain amount of carnage is acceptable to a much higher degree than Americans would tolerate. The laws are different. Here parents are getting thrown in jail for "endangering"  their children.
     Back before Henry Ford gave us cheap cars the motorcycle was also our family car. I have seen old pictures of whole American families riding a side car rig at the beginning of the 20th century. Now kids are buckled into car seats away from an air bag.
     Nothing was said about exploitation. I know you were having family fun. It may sound funny, but from my perspective I would rather see kids getting on bikes at a later age than most people would think, and in a more controlled environment.
     I do exactly the same as you. I also do things with my kids that my Dad did with me. How else can you have family continuity but with these memories? Some times parents (myself included) have trouble objectively evaluating our own children"s strengths, weaknesses,  and abilities.  This  leads to many problems.
     Being in the business for 28 years I have seen a lot. It pains me to to see the same mistakes unknowingly repeated with the same bleak outcome. I made enough of my own. Do you want to see the scars? I  raced Motocross for years. If I had it to do over again I would still do it whole-heartedly. But I would have done it differently if I had known then what I know now.  We can all say this about some thing in our lives. This is why I responded to you. I know what can and will happen in these instances, even with the very best intentions.
     I'm sorry I wasn't more diplomatic. That was NEVER my strong point. But I do have extensive knowledge of my industry and I feel compelled to pass on what I can. Thank you for listening.

Porkchop

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 08:52:18 pm
Thanks buddy! Again, lots of great info and advice. I appreciate it.
Cheers -PC