Author Topic: Royal Enfield Price HIKES (yikes!)  (Read 28665 times)

prof_stack

on: August 31, 2008, 06:15:32 pm
Wow, I just noticed the current USA pricing of the RE's have taken a jump.  Maybe it is old news but I was surprised.

The Electra is now shown as (starting at) $5745.
On the low end, the Bullet Classic is $5349, now with AVL.
The disc brake and oil back shock (and classic '70's styling) are worth $400?

I guess the weaker dollar, fuel prices, and demand have taken their toll.  Sheesh, I got my new (old stock) '07 Moto Guzzi Nevada last month for about the same price that the Electra is now.

So it makes me wonder about the projected price point of the UCE model.  Any word on that yet?

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:33:49 pm
Professor,
You named most of the culprits. raw materials (steel, rubber etc.) have risen at a rate that is unprecedented, the dollar continues to be weak even against the Indian Rupee. We all know about the cost of oil, this affects the energy costs of the factory, delivery of supplies etc. Of course sea shipping and trucking have risen quite a bit as well. Add to that the inflation in India and you have a recipe for price increases. As we said when the Electra first came out we kept the price of it artificially low. There is quite a bit of extra cost to us in the newer frame, disk brake upgraded suspension etc. We do not have the pricing of the new UCE motorcycle yet. It will definitely be more for a number of reasons. It is a totally new bike, uses more expensive parts and vendors, etc. I expect that unless energy keeps skyrocketing (drill now, while putting full court press on other sources, limit speculation) and if the dollar stabilizes (there are some signs of this)
prices may remain stable for a while though. On the other hand we can be thankful that our prices are substantially lower than our European brothers have to pay. I am actually a bit shocked at how much more expensive all motorcycles are in Europe.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:38:24 pm
A member of the Yahoo RE forum from France just paid the equivalent of $8500 for her new UCE over there. But they have VAT and stuff like that in France.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 06:42:27 pm
Generally speaking bikes sold in Europe are quoted as "on the road" prices. The VAT  (value added tax, a sales tax of sorts) is around 17% (I think, please correct me if you are in Europe) then add road tax which is the price of licensing here. Even at that the prices are still high.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

prof_stack

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:33:09 pm
With the reliable Buell Blast thumper priced at $4800 or so, the pricing on the UCE can't get too carried away or it might occupy a really small niche.  Admittedly the Blast has its own "unique" styling, but the motor is bullet-proof (I put 10k miles on one) and the bike can run at 75mph all day with no complaint.  Buell used it to prepare for their XB line, which has the second 492cc cylinder behind it.

BUT when are we going to see a teaser photo with the styling of the UCE coming here?

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 10:13:07 pm
Unfortunately the Blast which is a good bike has not worked out so well for Harley. The last time I looked at Harley's annual report we sold more bikes in the US than they sold Blasts. I have seen them as low as $3995 a couple of years ago. Maybe they are selling better now.
You are right pricing is an issue. I am afraid that if there are leaks they will be purposeful and planned by the factory. They have been extremely tight about it. At present everything is literally under lock and key.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 10:45:14 pm
    As a long time thumper emthusiast, I have followed the Buell Blast (and the Bullet!!).I was very interested in both bikes. Theres a couple of Blast forums/groups (Yahoo) that I receive digests from. Prof Stack, I believe, had a positive experience with his Blast. These forums, while many owners are happy with the bikes, are reflecting some problems with the bikes such as the breaking off of engine stabilizer bolts in the cylinder head, disintigrating oil pump drive gears, fairly frequent failure of the rubber carb boots, and fairly high oil use. I may be spoiled because the over twenty motorcycles I've owned over the last 45 years have simply used no measureable amount of engine oil between changes.
    I test rode a Blast, and really like the bike. I happen to know first hand (no police reading this I hope) that a 500cc Buell Blast can easily hit 85 mph, and cruise easily at 70. They do clunk going into first gear, and they feel a bit small physically in size to me, but I liked the bike. In fact, I bet some day I will own one of them too.
    As for the price of Bullets. I can say that I feel good at the purchase I made at Vince's. First-he was having a sale on 2007 models, as the 2008s were on the way.Second, I bought in December, so it was a buyers market. Third, my bike just runs like a top and is getting 75 miles per US gallon easily.Fourth, today, while waiting out a rain storm at a Starbucks in Orting, Wa, I had two different gray haired (like me) gents approach me. Both asked right off "what year is that motorcycle?". Which led to me going through the history of the Indian/Enfields. Both guys commented on what a great looking bike it is etc,etc. I don't get any of that when I ride my KLR650 or XT225. One asked me where a dealer was, and I told him of Vince's in Olympia. I hope he pursues that.
    So I feel good about my purchase, and I'm glad I picked up the iron model.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 02:18:02 am
All  those factors play into a price hike, the biggist being a public demand for small displacement motorcycles.If  gas falls a dollar we could see business as usual (big cars and large displacement bikes on the road)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 02:52:37 am
Ural took a huge price increase too.
I haven't seen the increase on the Japs.
Prior to buying the Enfield, I was looking at the XT250 Yamaha. faster, better gas mileage, $1,000 cheaper. But no personality.
Niche bikes like the Ural and Enfield: They cost what they cost. But a lot of people buy them and decide that's not the bike for them, so you see some fine examples for sale with very low miles. I picked up a 2008 Deluxe, with 83 miles, for $4,000.

It should be pointed out the Enfield prices are msrp. Now add shipping and setup, and you are approaching $6K. At that price, I may have looked elsewhere.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 04:42:23 am
A buddy of mine has been saving money for at least 2 years to buy a Ural Patrol. The prices keep pushing him to save a little more. This year was a big jump past the 12,000$ range. He is now thinking of buying a Triumph Scrambler and adding a sidecar. I guess the morale of the story is; old technology is fun if the price is right. Don't get me wrong I am having a blast with my RE MC,but the price was right on the edge to where I was starting to look at used and at Japan made singles. Its a tight market, all you have to do is look at all the MC brands that are no longer in business to realize if it was easy we would have a 100 makes to chose from.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 06:56:37 am
i just hope the price of the UCE doesn't go above 6 and a half grand. i really want to add a few things after getting it and about 7k is my limit. fingers crossed...

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 03:51:00 pm
Doomed,
You aren't the onlhy one who hopes the price is less than that.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 05:48:05 pm
In 2000, I bought a brand-new Ural Bavarian Classic for a around $6,500 or so, OTR (I foget the exact figure, but it was less than 7K)

I haven't watched the new Urals in a while, but just yesterday decided to peek at their web site...
and I was about blown out of my chair!!

Prices are what.. $12-14 THOUSAND now?!  Holy Bolsheviks Batman!

so, that's over a 100% price increase in 8 years, which buys you "upgrades" over the Y2K model I had, many of which I really consider "detriments" in my opinion.
OH, and I see there are still only the same handful of accessories from years ago, with most un-available.

From what I hear, still cheaper and easier, and faster to order your spares from shady e-bayer in the Ukraine than the dealers too...

CMW, on the other hand... My '01 classic cost me around $4,500 if I remember correctly... all tarted up from the dealer already, OTR.
My new '07 cost me only a few hundred more, OTR.

7 years... what,, maybe a 10% increase (most of which could be attributed to going from plain classic model to a Military) and Kevin continues to deliver us the ever-improving, MASSIVE, beautiful accessory catalog, chock full of goodies readily available.

We should all get down on our hands and knees and thank the Baby Jesus that we have Kevin and CMW and the RE product available to us here in the states.

That's just my opnion, I could be wrong.
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 06:14:53 pm
Good point Stadtroller,
 I am thankful for my  being able to afford a new RE.

I don't think I'll be buying a Ural. For the money I think a Hyundai automobile would be a better choice.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 07:07:19 pm
Doomed,
You aren't the onlhy one who hopes the price is less than that.
well, i would hope that there aren't people who hope the price is more. i'll probably pay whatever it is in the end, but i have a hard time imagining someone going, "ALRIGHT! The UCE is above $1200! NOW i can get me one of these!" :P