Author Topic: Royal Enfield Price HIKES (yikes!)  (Read 28466 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #30 on: November 23, 2008, 03:45:43 am
I think that is is fine to make a purchase using the "scientific method" of listing your needs in a clinical way and then purchasing based on what fits you the best. I think that purchasing based on price is another legitimate way to buy a bike. I daresay however for better of worse, most bikes are purchased for emotional reasons. Harley is the absolute pinnacle of that premise. Not that long ago no body bought a Harley because it was a "good" bike because it wasn't. It was an OK bike (reliability with a good company backing it). If you wanted a great bike you bought Japanese. they are as close to plug and play as it gets. An Enfield is mostly an emotional decision. There is no doubt that when you are on an Enfield you will get more attention than your buddy riding an Arlen Ness special. On the other hand you will be doing more adjusting etc than he will. (Not so with the UCE, but that is another matter). The people in the office are good examples. Some ride bikes because that bike is all they could afford, some because they like the brand, some because it happened to be the first bike they rode. The bottom line is whether you own an $800 Chinese bike or a $50,000 custom we are all riding something.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 04:26:17 am
Hear, Hear, Kevin!  :)

I would be the first to admit that buying a bike is a mixture of science and art, of objectivity and subjectivity, of logic and folly. I also agree that the the most important single element that ties us together is the statement "it doesn't matter WHAT you ride, it's THAT you ride."

And I really am very interested in the Cycle World test of the UCE, and seeing one in person, cause it gives the impression of being a big step up.

NOW - and I've been wanting to ask this, let me pose a question. Why, since there was such a huge redesign for the UCE, didn't RE give it a six speed tranny? Surely there was sufficient redesign of the cases so that it could be done, and I guarantee that even my Electra X could use an extra gear.

It would have solved a lot of problems, especially if the front or rear sprocket is easily accessable (I hope).  Set things up so 1st (overall) is a little lower than now, and 6th a little higher(overall), than 5th is now.  Then, with a sidecar, or some off road use, and lower gears desired, change sprocket(s) for better pull, and the top end is still the same as it will be now with the 5 speed.  Some engine mods, and a desire to ride the freeways, go to  bigger sprocket(s) and have really tall freeway gears, and the bottom end is the same as it will be now with the 5 speed.

Maybe this is not something that is of much interest to the Indian market, but it wouldn't have hurt it's usefullness there, and it would have been a great selling point here, and maybe in Europe, too.   Plus, could this have cost much more, given the state of computer design and engineering these days, since there was apparently a fairly clean sheet approach, and probably a lot of the new design was computer assisted anyway?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 04:28:14 am by Alaroyal »
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #32 on: November 23, 2008, 04:04:14 pm
Enfield has a policy of only changing transmission designs every 65 years. The five speed has a long time to go (he said tongue in cheek). This is pure speculation because this subject has never come up in any of the development meetings that I have been in, but I think the idea was that they had a good transmission already that most people liked. It was quite reliable and shifted reasonably well. When the new engine was designed the number one design criteria above all others was that it be reliable. They had a good transmission and wanted to focus on the engine. Beyond reliability the engine needed to have Royal Enfield DNA, that is a long stroke, pushrod single. Only this kind of engine gives the sound and feel that RE customers have come to expect. Third it needed to be able to be driven at 70mph without hurting the engine. Next it needed to be able to be serviced by the home mechanic - RE is hung up on this as they see our customer base as being fairly self-reliant people. The idea that you would design a unit so that only someone with factory tools etc. could service it does not follow that philosophy. For example in India they hold free training for all mechanics regardless of whether or not they sell Enfields. This ensures that the customer can get good service anywhere. Ironically this simplicity sometimes causes us problems here in the US. This may sound odd, but I can't tell you how many mechanics I talk to that are baffled by the simplicity. If you understand basic electricity, have a reasonable set of mechanical skill and can read, nothing is beyond your reach in terms of Enfield diagnosis or repair. If you aren't mechanical, but can read and are willing to pick others brains you can also become quite skilled fairly quickly. Many mechanics get in trouble with the Enfield by overthinking the issues.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: November 23, 2008, 04:50:50 pm
Enfield has a policy of only changing transmission designs every 65 years. The five speed has a long time to go (he said tongue in cheek).

If you aren't mechanical, but can read and are willing to pick others brains you can also become quite skilled fairly quickly. Many mechanics get in trouble with the Enfield by overthinking the issues.

;D  ;D  ;D

I can agree with that very easily, even though I've been around RE for only a short time.  When I pulled the tank to adjust the valves, and as I was taking apart the headlight assembly and wiring to the  "trafficators" for my fairing project, I felt like I was in the late 60's - early 70's, working on my Honda CB 350, 450 and 750s again.  The stuff looked very familiar.

I thought there had been a redesign of the tranny, along with the UCE engine, if there was not, then that explains a lot. "Enfield has a policy of only changing transmission designs every 65 years."    That reminds me of a comment I once heard on a National Public Radio segment on religion, where the "expert" said  there were "two routes to change in the Greek Orthodox Church - the route that takes 800 years, and the slow route."

I can't tell you how many HD people I've gotten upset at me for suggesting that HD should change its crank design to side by side rods on the same throw, with plain bearings and a split rod cap, so the average owner could easily take it apart without a press, or if it had to stay as skinny as it is, a split cap mod to the current fork and knife arrangement for the same reason,  or even a master/ slave rod arrangement like a radial airplane engine.

I don't know how much of a mechanic I am, but maybe you're offering some advice, or a lesson, so I will try to not overthink the issues, even though I've almost made a lifelong, personal art form, (some of my friends call it a sickness) of wondering "now, why didn't they do it THIS way !!!?

As an educator, and a guy who's also rolling up some years, I like to ask my students "what is the difference between life and school?"  The answer: "In school, there is a lesson, then a test; in life, there is a test, then a lesson."  Guess I'll just assume it's one of those situations, and be happy for the lesson.  8)  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:44:24 pm by Alaroyal »
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #34 on: November 23, 2008, 05:09:26 pm
Here's my take on it.

People buy a Royal Enfield because it is different. Not because it is the same as everything else. Up till just now, they mostly bought it because it was a true antique/classic type bike that you could still buy new. It really was a classic bike. It wasn't a "tarted-up" new appliance with fat fenders like all the other "retro bikes".
That's what they wanted. The wanted the oddities. They  wanted the quirks. They wanted to fiddle with it like an antique. And they wanted the experience of riding a classic old British bike, with all of the things that went along with it.

If they wanted a Honda with some fat fenders on it, they can already go down and get that at any neighborhood store.

What drew people to the Bullet was alot more than just an "appearance package". It was the real thing.
Hopefully, it can re-define the "real thing" in a new way, because if it becomes just  basically a copy of a Honda with fat fenders, there's no real reason to buy it. Real Hondas are already out there. And they're affordable too.

There must be some other over-riding reason to buy an RE. Just being able to "push the button and ride trouble-free" is not enough. That's available on nearly everything else out there already. There has to be something else. Something less definable. Something that calls the prospective buyer to the marque in an emotional way. Just like with the Harleys.
And that's why Harley is successful. Because it "defines" the genre of motorcycles that it sells. Everything else is a copy of it. No, a Harley is not nearly as perfectly engineered motorcycle as a Yamaha. And it doesn't want to be, either. It wants to be a Harley, and the Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki engineers are pulling their hair out, because no matter how perfectly they try to clone a Harley, it's still not a Harley.
And people will pay extra to have a real Harley, and not a Japanese clone bike, because it's the real thing.

That is the way to succeed in a world of sameness. Be the original, in a genre that people want, and let other people copy you.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:33:58 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 23, 2008, 05:31:45 pm
    For me the 2007 Royal Enfield 500 Classic (iron) that I bought just made sense. I'm a big fan of older British motorcycles.As a high school student (class of 1972) I never had a car.Didn't want a car.Wasn't interested in cars. I rode a 1964 BSA 500 twin. Rode it to school and everywhere else I needed to go. My motorcycling life has included a lot of "thumpers" too. So when I finally really got to "see" an Enfield Bullet, after reading everything I could find about them for years, I was totally up on the appearance of the bike.I still think my Classic is certainly one of the best looking motorcycles I've ever seen. And its a thumper too!! My concern, was the same as everyone elses-reliability and the ability of the motorcycle to run reliably on US roads. I came to grips with the inability of the Bullet to run US freeways for any distance because it gives me an excuse to run the back roads and plan my routes accordingly. So far my 2007 has been a very reliable motorcycle at just over 2000 miles. And I have come to the conclusion that the people that write the negative reviews and comments on these bikes are trying to pretend that the bike is a modern Japanese motorcycle, that is trying to do a very short break in at too high of speeds, and then trying to make a freeway bike of it.
    I am very much up on my Bullet, and have said so on many on line forums (advrider and many others), and in person to the many people that ask me about my bike. I can see why they are building the new unit construction bikes, and I applaud them for trying to keep the classic appearance. But I am sad to see them drop the iron motors. The iron has simply been legislated out of existance. I wish it could have been kept, even in a limited production form somehow. I still don't know how they were able to keep making the Bullet with points and condenser ignitions all these years.
    I hope the new models sell well. I also hope that getting parts for my Bullet doesn't get to be difficult over time.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 10:43:22 pm
I believe this illustrates one of the great strengths of the, "endeavor", lets call it, of motorcycling, and that is the sometimes intense personal emotional involvement of brand.

If you read brand specific sites, you see it; HD, Royal Enfield, it's there, Indian, Ducati, Honda, (I once read, on a Gold Wing site, a post by an owner who was PO'd about something, and said he would trade the thing, but he couldn't stand the thought of  either a BMW or riding "obsolete technology"), Triumph, talk about people who like "proper motorbikes", I know the purists are gonna literally despise the new 1600CC Thunderbird next year, Kawasaki, (sites dedicated to the old style Concours (Connies) treat those thing like religious relics, and, oh boy, the Vincent owner's sites.

Richard Harris' song "1952 Vincent Black Lightling" which I think is the best motorcycle song ever, has a line, which he will sing live as; 

"Now Nortons and Indians and Greeve's and Harleys won't do,
They don't have a soul like a Vincent '52."

Anyone who has a dream machine or brand is convinced that it is THE brand, and that's probably the way it should be.  Passion about what we have, or like, or do, is one of the great attributes of being human.  It's one of the things has always inspired humans to move forward.

And nothing will ever be able to convince anyone that anything other than their brand is the best, whatever that brand might be.  We all know that no brand is better than every other brand in every possible way. (I guess we all know that, although I asked, with total innocence and lack of subtrefuge, a HD salesman for comments on the changes to the engine mounting system on the touring bikes, and she told me "Harley engines are mounted exactly like they need to be for Harleys".  When I then couldn't resist asking her, "since HD uses two systems, either solid mount counterbalanced engine, or non counterbalanced rubber mount engine, which do you prefer?", she just walked away.)

As far as Honda not being able to make a HD, well, no brand can really make another, and as far as simply making a look alike, the auto industry has been copycatting each other for decades.

If an individual's definition of any brand is "this is THE real deal", they will always view any other brand as being something other than genuine.  So which brand is the REAL, real deal?  Whichever one somebody thinks it is, and that's all that will ever matter to that person. 

I like to ride my Bullet on backroads, where it's really most at home, and lots of time take the very long way to and from work, and sometimes get on the slab for a bit, and if I get a UCE, I'll like its capabilities probably even more.  Of course, being a unit construction engine doesn't make the UCE nontraditional, because even though I'm not an Enfield expert, I believe I'm correct that RE made unit construction engines a long time ago.

I also enjoy riding my HD, I love the sound, love the appearance, nobody else makes a single throw crank 45 degree v engine, which is, of course, the reason they sound that way, anybody COULD do that, but there are very sound engineering reasons NOT to, and I like that it's a U. S. company that's managed to survive a long time. 

I do admit that quite a few HD folks over the decades have offered me guff about riding a Honda, but really, riding what you feel good on no matter what brand, is the essence of being a bit of a rebel, isn't it?

I had a long ago ancestor back on the Emerald Isle who was one of seven people who drew up a Declaration of Independence of Ireland from England. Apparently this was a common activity in those days.  He and his six co-conspirators were summarily rounded up by the Crown and hanged for treason. This seems to have also been a common activity. 

Wouldn't want to be hanged for my brand loyalty philosophy, but I don't mind saying to someone "if your idea of the ways things are doesn't agree with mine, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree."

I also like my GL a lot, and even though it doesn't have the sound of a HD air cooled twin, the HD doesn't have the sound of a Honda flat six, either.

If you have an opportunity to ride an 1800, do so, run it to just south of the soft rev limiter in four gears of the five, and realize that when you grab full throttle in 1st that it hits redline almost literally before you can get ready to shift.  I recommend it, cause there is nothing like that particular song and dance.  It may be a tourer,  but its also a an extremely soulful bike. A different song than a v-twin, but a stirring one, still. Just as a long stroke single is a unique song, too.

I really don't think Japanese engineers are worrying about the fact that they can't make a HD, they just realize that even though they can't convert most HD aficionados, or match HD "mystique", they can certainly beat it in engineering, as can other companies.  Harley doesn't build a " traditional" V twin engine that is the equal of the Yamaha Raider's, or the Suzi M109. We can't count the VRod, cause as good as it is, and it's top drawer, a lot of the HD faithful can't stand them, and haven't forgiven the Motor Company for building what they call a "Japanese Clone".  :o

Of course, a lot of HD oldtimers couldn't stand the EVO when it came out; "hear no EVO, see no EVO, ride no EVO, then some of those folks got to love the EVO, and hated when the EVO went away, and the twinc arrived, so traditions do change.

I wish I could see my way clear to buy restored, or had the time to restore, one of the old original CB750 Hondas. In my opinion it is possibly the most influential motorcycle in history, at least arguably that.

Oh, well, enough, I guess.   I'm gonna go work on putting my old bat wing fairing that once was on a HD police bike, with modern LED lights now installed, onto my RE, to which I've added ATV handlebar risers, and a quick release plug for my battery tender and tourmaster electric jacket.  She's getting to be just what I want her to be, and that's the most traditional thing any bike can be, true to its owner. 

One thing for sure,  everybody ride safe.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:20:03 pm by Alaroyal »
Dave

taildraggin

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 03:09:39 am
I'd say the Japanese are watching RE closely.  If they can sell a 'classic' 500 single for $6500, they'll come running with a "W350" or somesuch converted from a supermoto.  There is a need for 'interesting' small bikes, now (as there is for cars).  Aside from the Ninja 250 and some awkward supermotos, there is little excitment in the small bike market.   

The Mini and the Vespa are good examples of inexpensive chic.  Both sell at a premium to the competition and have loyal followings.  (Harley's have more SUV-like margins at the top end of the market and even more fanatic following, so they don't have to compete as hard on price.)  Vespa's model may be a good one for RE.

In terms of pricing, Enfield may have a good product with the UCE and should come out with a fairly high price for it, if reliability is reasonable.   When competition arrives, RE can always 'factory discount' and they'll already be along on the production optimization curve.  I'm sure they are a low cost producer, so they can ride along on tighter margins, if they must.

If you wince when you view a Vulcan or W650, the Enfield is a pleasant surprise.  If they can add some better reliability they will have all the pieces in place.  Management seems to be making the right moves.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:11:32 am by taildraggin »
1977 HD XLCR
1937 HD ULH
Diesel Enfield abirthing from a 2004 Sixty-5

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 07:18:56 am
    The new Suzuki TU250 is a pretty good looking modern Japanese roadster. But the Japanese have never had any luck trying to sell street thumpers in the US. Witness the very good Yamaha SR500 (kick only) and the Honda FT500 Ascot (electric only, and with a weak starting system). The Ascot was a nice looking bike that used the XL500 engine, only converted to electric only starting.Except for the ugly rectangular headlight. Of course the SR used the XT500 dual sport engine. I'm glad to see the Suzuki TU250, just like I'm glad to see any new street thumper.
    The Buell Blast seems to have sold pretty well. I've read rumors that Buell may be redesigning their smallest bike.

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 04:57:32 pm
Agreed, Birdmove, the TU 250 is a rerally sharp machine. here's a link to its place on the Suzi site if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/TU250XK9

If HD would build a bike that looked like a standard Sportster, just a little smaller, with the Blast engine in it, with a single shorty muffler, just a simple, light, and reasonably priced machine, I believe they would sell it like mad.

It could sell a standard, low, and maybe custom version, because lots of the stuff that would be needed is already in its catalog.

I attracted a lot of attention a couple months ago when I rode my Electra to the local HD store.  Lots of folks were looking, but acting like they weren't, but several talked to me about it. 

For what its worth, I got some looks and comments at my local Tractor Supply Store, as I was putting a couplpe of 20 lb bags of bird food on the rear seat.  One guy, who owned a Big Dog chopper, said "I saw that long bubble muffler, and knew it had to be a British bike of some kind."

They certainly are attention getters.

Dave

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: November 24, 2008, 05:30:51 pm
Ace, I fully agree with all the points in your recent posting (Reply #34 on: November 23, 2008, 09:09:26 AM)

Best regards,

Papa Juan
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

geoffbaker

Reply #41 on: November 24, 2008, 11:37:11 pm
I agree with both Cabo and ace..

But HOW exactly does RE bring their bikes into the modern world while keeping that classic old feel?

Ultimately, perhaps, they shouldn't... only time will tell.

For me, I don't want a new, easy start bike that looks like an old bike. I wanted and got the real thing... and have found a million ways already to tinker with her... and I'll keep doing that until something happens that means I need a whole new bike... and then I'll get another RE (used) and keep going.

I guess if I was really honest, I would say that if I could afford it, I would be tinkering on 50's Beemers or a Vincent Black Shadow... but the reality is that this is the level of tinkermanship which I can afford!

So for me the RE is ideal... a quirky piece of machinery you have NO choice but to get to know well...

and a modern, trouble free RE would be... well, oxymoronic if nothing else...

And what would I do with my time if my RE didn't constantly need work? Or if I couldnt find something that I really needed to change on the bike?

I'd be miserable!

prof_stack

Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 01:39:49 am
Richard Harris' song "1952 Vincent Black Lightling" which I think is the best motorcycle song ever, has a line, which he will sing live as; 

They don't have a soul like a Vincent '52."

Oops, you accidentally inserted an extra motorycylcle!

From the actual lyrics page:
"Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
Beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl
Now Nortons and Indians and Greeves won't do
They don't have a soul like a Vincent 52 ...
"

There's a fair number of folk that became familiar with this tune from the bluegrass master Del McCoury who arranged a dandy version of the song.

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 01:30:54 pm
No, if you check carefully, you'll see I did not insert an extra motorcycle (I wasn't engaging in any ad lib HD bashing); my post stated as follows:

{Richard Harris' song "1952 Vincent Black Lightling" which I think is the best motorcycle song ever, has a line, which he will sing live as; 

They don't have a soul like a Vincent '52."}

I know that the song is not WRITTEN that way, but if you'll note my post, I stated that Richard Thompson would sing it live with the word "Harley" in the line, and he does. Unfortunately, I've never heard him in concert, but I have a concert recording of him doing so, which is how I knew that. Anybody can perform it, however they want, but since it's his song, I guess he gets some special privilege.

He actually uses what may be a very "Proper Grammar"  form of the word "Greeves"; I mispelled how he pronounced it.  I believe the brand was "Greeves", singular with an s, and he pronounces the plural in his song as  Greeves - es. That could be an archaic way to pluralize the word, possibly regional.

There are lots of good versions of that song, but my favorite is by a female singer, and I can't rememebr who; she sang it as a ballad, and it is probably as impressive as "Arms of the Angel", in its impact.  I'll see if i can find out the artist of that version.  If you know who it is, let me know.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:45:51 pm by Alaroyal »
Dave

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 01:02:04 am
Several great responses here,fellas.Most of us have become accustomed to the eternal cost increase of just about everything.....Personally,I can accept that situation
to a point,provided it's a reasonable sounding increase. I.E.,a 1.9% jump sounds
believeable to me,but certainly not 2X,4X or more....that,IMO,is greed gambling that
the prospective buyer 'won't walk away'....that they'll go ahead and make the purchase(after all hardly anyone makes a purchase nowadays with the intent
to pay that item off,so it's just a few more dollars on that monthly payment,no biggie....).
So,with that mentality,large price increases are more times than not,'accepted'(with
a bit of grumbling....)and the purchase is made. The Ural was mentioned and I also
own one,and I wouldn't buy another new example because I don't believe that
 all of the 'improvements' claimed justify the presentday MSRP of that brand,and,
to connect the dots here,both it and the Enfield are very much niche brands sold here in small numbers. Large price increases obviously threaten future sales(and falsely
inflate the values of the existing used units).
I'm hoping that Enfield increases the prices of their product only when manufacturing
costs actually demand it,and those increases are accurate,honest,and minimal.....